Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Deeper into Autumn

Message added by Paul,

With winter now almost upon us, the model thread is getting ever busier, and as such it's important to keep it on topic. So, please keep your posts to discussing the model output, and for more general winter weather chat please use the winter thread

Posted
14 minutes ago, Allseasons-si said:

I do think that the first bite of the cold cherry won't come along the first time from this block to our E/NE,the la nina inprint should favour a block more to our NW than NE

as it stands the mjo is currently coming out of the COD then into phase 6-7 as we go into Dec,the models won't show this amplification yet until another few days or so,so sit tight and take a wee break,...i know i won't ha ha as it's in my nature and is of many on here

that said,..the latest gfs run does show some marked WAA going through the UK that could be a precurser to that change in the pattern to more of a la nina style

G'night all.

The la nina imprint seems to be interfered with at present and we have a el nino effect, hence an atlantic trough rather than ridge.. and and amplified flow. 

Back to the models, not much change overall, big block to the NE, atlantic trough nestled over the UK, negative aligned troughs and southerly jet. End result lots of rain and temps around average, a little below in northern parts with some patchy frost and possible wintry potential higher ground.

GFS very progressive today, suspect it will be much less so tomorrow. 

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and dry, or very cold. See my profile for model trivia

Our resident trapped vortex chunk brings us my least favourite weather type, so I am displeased that the GEFS suggest it may still be there even by day 15, with the other contenders not convincingly refuting this (IMO).

Could contain: Plot, Chart, PersonCould contain: Plot, Chart, Person, Face, HeadCould contain: Plot, Chart, Person, Map, Face, Head, Diagram, AtlasCould contain: Plot, Chart, Person, HeadCould contain: Modern Art, Art, Pattern, Person, Outdoors, Nature, Accessories

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Person, Map, Diagram, AtlasCould contain: Plot, Chart, Person, Map, DiagramCould contain: Plot, Chart, Person, Map, Atlas, DiagramCould contain: Plot, Chart, Person, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Face, HeadCould contain: Plot, Chart, Person

Later edit: Added the 18z GEFS, and having done so will concede that perhaps there is a signal here for the trough to end up further west eventually.

Edited by RainAllNight

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Purely La La Land here (tbh the CFS almost deserves a thread of its own) but this particular run shows how a potentially very snowy outcome can result from an otherwise Atlantic-dominated setup but with southerly tracking lows:

cfs-0-1218.png cfs-0-1344.png cfs-0-1416.png

Definitely a higher success rate in January than in December though I would think from a snowfall point of view.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
5 hours ago, Kasim Awan said:

With a mean like this, personally i cant see anything significant verifying before the end of the month. 

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Plot, Chart

Agreed, looking at the overnight runs we are looking 10 days minimum before the static Atlantic trough fills. Until that happens we are on the wrong side of the boundary between Atlantic and continental air.

Just in support of johncam after being shot down for stating fact last night, here is the Mets further outlook for mid month issued late October...no mention of high ground and the second week of November is 7th to 14th.

quote] Sunday 6 Nov - Sunday 20 Nov

Unsettled conditions are expected to continue at first, with further heavy rain possible, particularly in the south. An increasing chance of settled weather remains during the second week of November, bringing a potential for colder, drier weather especially for the north and west. This will likely bring a risk of chilly nights with mist, frost and fog in places, with some snow expected to fall in any showers in northern and western areas.

Updated: 16:00 (UTC+1) on Sat 22 Oct 2022

Edited by KTtom
Added met forecast
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted
4 hours ago, Kasim Awan said:

With a mean like this, personally i cant see anything significant verifying before the end of the month. 

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Plot, Chart

Which month 🤔 👀 🤪 

Lots of wind and rain over the coming weeks according to GFS at least.

• Like 4

Posted

As expected the so-called Scandinavian High is getting pushed away eastwards on the latest runs. The ECM and UKMO were right about this, against the GFS which keeps trying to build height rises. So the anomaly forecasts were inaccurate: let's not beat around the bush.

Basically, the weather has reverted to type: an ongoing blast from the Atlantic with rainfall totals steadily accumulating. When the weather in Britain is like this it's possibly better not to pay too much attention to medium and long term modelling. The jetstream remains very strong and relatively flat. It will abate because it always does, but there's a way to go yet. Could easily be mid-December before this lot blows itself out and we come under the spell of genuine blocking.

That's okay though. I'd rather have autumnal conditions in autumn anyway. And we did need the rain.

Edited by Mark Smithy
  • Like 8

3 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Which month 🤔👀🤪 

Lots of wind and rain over the coming weeks according to GFS at least.

Seems plausable IMO given the combination of signals for both a strong jet aswell as a stubborn high over central / NE Europe. Produces a deep low as the block forces it to stall and deepen. Conditons wise, can get windy and very wet with fronts stalling against the block. Rather mild, too much jet energy to allow for more optimal troughing to our southeast. This is a classic pattern seen when opposing signals are at play. Think January 2014.

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Plot, Chart, Art, Graphics

Just now, Mark Smithy said:

As expected the so-called Scandinavian High is getting pushed away eastwards on the latest runs. The ECM and UKMO were right about this, against the GFS which keeps trying to build height rises.

So the anomaly forecasts were complete rubbish: let's not beat around the bush.

Basically, the weather has reverted to type: an ongoing blast from the Atlantic with rainfall totals steadily accumulating. When the weather in Britain is like this it's possibly better not to pay too much attention to medium and long term modelling. The jetstream remains very strong and relatively flat It will abate because it always does, but there's a way to go yet. Could easily be mid-December before this lot blows itself out and we come under the spell of genuine blocking.

That's okay though. I'd rather have autumnal conditions in autumn anyway. And we did need the rain.

Anomaly charts are often extremely misleading. Especially the pressure anomalies.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
7 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

EC is Atlantic dominated too..

Could contain: Accessories, Pattern, Art, Graphics, Outdoors

I suspect any potential  settling down is going to be delayed again.

Very tedious isn't it @northwestsnow. Just can't shake this troughed pattern off. Nothing in the forecasts suggests this is going to change in the next couple of weeks, so we're likely to see out most of (if not all) of November with more of the same. Think I might just come back in a couple of days and see if anything has changed. Either wet, very wet or in some spots that see 100-200mm of rain in the next 10 days, flooding likely.

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Outdoors, NatureCould contain: Plot, Chart, Smoke Pipeimage.thumb.png.6276017defb04f6d8e1895d21b2c3083.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Im still thinking its looking interesting up to 144 hours!!aint given up yet lol!!ecm and ukmo once again different to gfs as early as 72 hours!!somethings gota give this evening!!watch thiis space!!if anything at least it wil feel colder than the rubbish we have endured so far!

Posted
8 minutes ago, Sceptical said:

Atlantic domination well into December.

Not exactly, looks like the jet stream is heading further South looking at the Ecm, so maybe something Wintry for some places, eventually, like the Met mention in their outlook, perhaps eventually the block will take full - control, as long as it doesn't start to sink South, or its back to square one! 

Edited by SLEETY
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

The current spell is not synonymous with the dreaded zonal flow of bygone days, instead just the transient results of the draining of some of the tPV lower-heights to our NW. The mean suggests this will pass, and although in FI, that will relax after D8:

animfyn7.gif

Due to the inconvenient block to our east, never seems to be more than a hindrance to the UK, the process of filling that trough does mean November is more wet than cold.

The London ens for 2m temps sums it up, average at worse and heavy spells of rain with showers in the mix:

graphe6_10000_314_153___.thumb.png.06a3354f016706dd50fe8945691ee156.png

Still too much scatter for any confidence post D10, but heights building somewhere in the Atlantic to W Europe landscape seems likely.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, heat, sunshine, hail. Basically Seasonal.

Looking at the GEFS this morning, there are a few ensembles showing a Greenland high taking control near to days 10 until the end of the run. In my opinion, I'd say this is the pattern that I would expect to be seen over the next few days from the GFS. Probably follows the longer range Met Office as well. 

• Like 4

Posted

Like I said yesterday with the metoffice wording not going to get me hopes up watch them back track today or tomorrow if it carry’s on where it’s going 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

Looks quite a lot of uncertainty still about the behaviour of that low in 7 days time.  Focusing on the clusters for that time, T168:

Could contain: Comics, Book, Publication, Pattern, Person

You can compare the low between the clusters and it ranges from being negatively tilted cluster 1 and 3 in particular to rounder to full on bowling ball in clusters 5 and 6.  Difficult to see beyond resolving that uncertainty. 

But a point to note on the later timeframe T264+ is the opportunity to push a ridge up between lows to connect with and reinforce the block, as illustrated by cluster 3 and somewhat by cluster 2 - and which has been observed on a couple of GFS // runs too.  One to maybe look out for.

Could contain: Book, Publication, Comics, Pattern, Person

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow freezing rain heat waves
57 minutes ago, iceman1991 said:

Like I said yesterday with the metoffice wording not going to get me hopes up watch them back track today or tomorrow if it carry’s on where it’s going 

Why would they back track today or tomorrow ?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal
2 hours ago, Kasim Awan said:

Seems plausable IMO given the combination of signals for both a strong jet aswell as a stubborn high over central / NE Europe. Produces a deep low as the block forces it to stall and deepen. Conditons wise, can get windy and very wet with fronts stalling against the block. Rather mild, too much jet energy to allow for more optimal troughing to our southeast. This is a classic pattern seen when opposing signals are at play. Think January 2014.

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Plot, Chart, Art, Graphics

Anomaly charts are often extremely misleading. Especially the pressure anomalies.

Amen. I don't take any notice of pressure anomaly charts anymore. I still think there is value in temp and precipitation anomalies though. 

I believe that clusters take a mean of different ensemble runs so those pressure anomaly charts might be statistically more valuable, I guess. I might be incorrect on that though 

Thing is virtually every winter, pressure anomalies are rolled out and they make things look far, far better than both the present and what turns out to be future reality

Edited by LRD
  • Like 2

Posted

The scrussian upper ridge looks to retreat to become Russian - the week 2 ens modelling has been consistently strong on the Atlantic trough depth which forces this. 

beyond that, as some have noted, the upstream tpv relaxes. What Atlantic sector pattern sets up beyond the trough is v llkely going to be down to where the tpv segments fall after the they separate out over the polar field. if we see nothing of any real strength in the e Canadian sector then we are in the game for some blocking to be effective in driving a coldie pattern in nw europe. 

Both 00z gfs and gfsp are illustrations of that 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
15 minutes ago, phil nw. said:

When reading pressure anomaly charts you have to take into account the location of the anomaly features.

For example a weak positive ( pale pink)over Greenland will still indicate low pressure up there as that is the climatic norm.You would need to see a dark red to suggest different.

On the other hand a weak positive over the Azores would confirm a high pressure area as that is the normal setup.

A bit of a generalised summary but just to give an idea.

This always crops up when people deliver the post mortem on the season ……. Those saying it in the chaos of the lead up tend to be drowned out by the excitement of a positive anomoly 

we aren’t yet into winter proper so wedges probably won’t do - once we get into late dec and Jan then they could well. looking at the way the atmosphere seems pre disposed to amplification yet still fairly mobile, we may be looking at a season of wedges .

Edited by bluearmy
  • Like 4