Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - moving into Winter

Message added by Paul,

With winter now almost upon us, the model thread is getting ever busier, and as such it's important to keep it on topic. So, please keep your posts to discussing the model output, and for more general winter weather chat please use the winter thread.  Or, head to the moans and ramps thread.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice
1 minute ago, sheikhy said:

Ecm control looks like the op!!good support it seems!!!

YES,...all good so far.

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, NatureCould contain: Plot, ChartCould contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Nature

and the main ext'd EPS cluster follows the op/control

Could contain: Modern Art, Art, Graphics

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer Sunshine / Winter Snow
8 minutes ago, phil nw. said:

Yes Blue it's been forecasted for a while.

There's usually a lag effect of a 10/14 days hopefully we have time to see a decent cold spell.

Is the MJO really that much of a significant driver of our weather?  I am sure I remember on a number of occasions in recent years where it has moved into some apparently favourable phases (for cold weather) but that its failed to have the expected impact?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, sheikhy said:

Yes this is a positive. As I understand that if the control is close to the op then more confidence can be applied..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
1 minute ago, Kentish Snowman in Yorks said:

Is the MJO really that much of a significant driver of our weather?  I am sure I remember on a number of occasions in recent years where it has moved into some apparently favourable phases (for cold weather) but that its failed to have the expected impact?

I think it can be fairly easily overridden from what I remember

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
Just now, Kentish Snowman in Yorks said:

That's an easy question to answer;) it's called sods law 🙂

• Like 1

Posted
17 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

We don’t want it lingering there for too long. It’s perhaps why the GFS wants to try and flatten things somewhat compared to earlier runs.

It's something to look at out, you never know GFS could be onto something.

Edited by Skullzrulerz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle
2 minutes ago, Kentish Snowman in Yorks said:

Favoured just means an increased chance of cold, theoretically, Atlantic driven is still our main driver. I think the fact that we have a Nino AAM has meant that that combined with the MJO phase lag has significantly driven our recent and forecasted weather.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters, hot summers

All I can say after nearly 15 years of model-watching is (about GFS): If it wiggels and wobbels within short time it doesn't really have a clue...

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and dry, or very cold. See my profile for model trivia
17 minutes ago, Allseasons-si said:

YES,...all good so far.

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, NatureCould contain: Plot, ChartCould contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Nature

and the main ext'd EPS cluster follows the op/control

Could contain: Modern Art, Art, Graphics

Looks like the Azores high trying to shield us from cold at the end of that largest cluster?

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Art, Outdoors

Posted
1 hour ago, damianslaw said:

Short term - a sustained easterly flow up to the weekend, slightly colder uppers will be dragged in by then and it will feel very raw for most, possible wintryiness in any showers down to modest levels in the north I would think. Quite a bit of cloud, but in any breaks further west always threat of frost and fog.

Its from the 5th, that date again things become more interesting. Weak shallow trough/shortwave feature to our south notwithstanding the main theme is the transferal of heights to Greenland and the PV locked on the N Asian side wanting to move away and drop some of its energy. This is a much bigger force than the weak lower pressure feature to the south, and the way GFS develops this against the greenland high and PV looks very suspect to me. ECM shows a clean transition to somethign substantively colder and wintry from the north - Dec 09/10 redux anyone?

The problem is, it won’t be substantially colder from the north.  Too much sea to cross which will modify temperatures.  We really need cold pools developing from the east.  09/10 was mostly continental cold, not northerlies.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle

Taking it on the face of it and a complete turn around from the GWO. We get one more round of +VE (Nino-esque) AAM. An increasing chance of another -VE NAO in late December after this potential one.

Beyond that we go back through phase 8 and a loss of frictional torque before a significant loss of mountain torque. Eventually northwards momentum transport, probably helping to also increase the southerly drag and an increased zonal wind suggests that on this run the Atlantic will end up having more influence going into January. A highly -VE AAM, very Nina-esque in terms of phases.

1077178613_GWO_members_current(1).thumb.png.203436d3c1d7e1f58658e6170f54cf05.png

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Diagram

Based off the latest run, December will probably end up favouring cold but January may end up being a lot more Atlantic dominated as a return back to a more normal pattern in recent years.

It's only 1 run and will likely change next run but I'd like to remind you that this chance needs to be taken as if its the last chance this Winter because it might end up being just that.

• Like 4

Posted
1 minute ago, Allseasons-si said:

Surely this is homing on looking more like a 2010 chart🤔

814day_03.thumb.gif.a406644c0432e5f791894c0e1ce49268.gif

Its good but follow the air flow and the source is from Central Europe rather than Scandinavia and Russia, unless if your in Scotland where the flow is more easterly sourced.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
1 minute ago, Eagle Eye said:

Taking it on the face of it and a complete turn around from the GWO. We get one more round of +VE (Nino-esque) AAM. An increasing chance of another -VE NAO in late December after this potential one.

Beyond that we go back through phase 8 and a loss of frictional torque before a significant loss of mountain torque. Eventually northwards momentum transport, probably helping to also increase the southerly drag and an increased zonal wind suggests that on this run the Atlantic will end up having more influence going into January. A highly -VE AAM, very Nina-esque in terms of phases.

1077178613_GWO_members_current(1).thumb.png.203436d3c1d7e1f58658e6170f54cf05.png

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Diagram

Based off the latest run, December will probably end up favouring cold but January may end up being a lot more Atlantic dominated as a return back to a more normal pattern in recent years.

It's only 1 run and will likely change next run but I'd like to remind you that this chance needs to be taken as if its the last chance this Winter because it might end up being just that.

Yeah, it was always suspected that December would offer the best chance this winter unless we could somehow trigger a SSW.

It'd be nice, for once, to get a really cold January rather than dregs either side of the core winter period.

• Like 5

Posted
8 minutes ago, Allseasons-si said:

814day_03.thumb.gif.a406644c0432e5f791894c0e1ce49268.gif-  

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Person, Face, Head 

mid nov 2010 8/14. Note the low anomoly to our sw on current output engulfs the U.K. - it needs to be further south as per 2010 to allow the CAA to get across the country 

Edited by bluearmy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice
3 minutes ago, Eastern Scotland WX said:

Its good but follow the air flow and the source is from Central Europe rather than Scandinavia and Russia, unless if your in Scotland where the flow is more easterly sourced.

That's too much micro detail that far out,what it shows is +ve heights to our NE -ve heights to our S/SE.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.

Anybody know if ECM still has much of an edge in terms of number of vertical layers?

Higher vertical resolution in the stratosphere would be a very plausible reason for the model being so resolutely different to GFS & GEM, to a lesser extent UKM.

Reason being, it’s a troposphere-lower stratosphere-troposphere interaction that drives the polar vortex split. The more efficient and fluent that process is, the greater and more sustained the split.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and dry, or very cold. See my profile for model trivia
3 minutes ago, Allseasons-si said:

814day_03.thumb.gif.a406644c0432e5f791894c0e1ce49268.gif

In case anyone missed @mushymanrob pointing out a couple of days ago that the CPC publishes the ingredients for its "height blend" each weekday...

https://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions/610day/fxus06.html

"The official 8-14 day 500-hPa height blend consists of: 15% of Today's 0z GFS Ensemble Mean centered on Day 11, 20% of Today's 6z GFS Ensemble Mean centered on Day 11, 50% of Today's 0z European Ensemble Mean centered on Day 11, and 15% of Today's 0z Canadian Ensemble Mean centered on Day 11"

• Like 1