Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2022/23 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

Really a struggle to get worth while heights into Scandi which would go onto effect here...too much action from the Atlantic and the jet heading into the Barents Sea location, certainly something I've noticed over the last couple of winters which is becoming more frequent.

Posted
30 minutes ago, Froze were the Days said:

Really a struggle to get worth while heights into Scandi which would go onto effect here...too much action from the Atlantic and the jet heading into the Barents Sea location, certainly something I've noticed over the last couple of winters which is becoming more frequent.

Highlands of Scotland is the place to be these days! 😉

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal
2 hours ago, Mike Machin said:

For those who dream of epic snowfall and a 'real winter' I would say, never give up! 

An account of the 1978 Great Blizzard across the south of England was published by Dorset Life in 2008:

This was in mid-February in an otherwise 'normal' winter. Keep smiling 😊

I remember it well, it was a few weeks short of my 18th birthday. Here in Somerset, we were absolutely buried. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow in winter,warm sun in summer!!!!

Latest ECM is bloody awful , still trying to talk things up in Mod thread , jeeso 

• Like 5

Posted
1 hour ago, Dark Horse said:

Yeah I never go in the model thread. There's very good knowledgable posters in there but they are often drowned out by doom monger posts that say it's never going to be cold again until next year blah blah blah. Usually the same suspects that said there wasn't going to be any cold in January and it was looking totally Atlantic dominated. Well it's been sunny today and some of us have had at least some snow over the last few days and it's a bit chilly at the moment. Much better than wind and rain and 11c 😃

I get what you're saying and, of course, to write off any sort of cold weather in January around the New Year period was proved wrong... but this week has hardly been countrywide Narnia either. Some northern and western parts have had a bit of snow and I'm pleased for folk in those areas. And there have been widespread frosts but it's still a fair way from what most of us look for in winter, generally, and in January, specifically. Fortunately, my expectations are always very low in winter and my kids are older now so I'm no longer especially invested in cold and snow. I'd like to see it but it bothers me less and less with each passing year (and just as well - as snow will become rarer and rarer with each passing year), although I still like to see wintry scenes for the fortnight either side of Xmas

Yet again, I will very probably not see a single flake of snow in January where I live. I shrug my shoulders these days but it's utterly remarkable what has happened to this so-called winter month over the last 35 years

When people do write off a month or a few weeks or even a whole winter regards cold conditions, they're absolutely piled on in here. But that's what this place is for isn't it? For us amateurs (and some excellent pros on here too) to make a forecast based on a) what they're seeing in the models, b) what they've experienced in the past in terms of model-watching and the reality of past winters and c) what their 'gut' is telling them based on these things? When I first started reading and then contributing to these forums, when people wrote off cold for long periods, it used to irritate me, too, but not anymore. Now I can't understand why folk get so offended when someone expresses that opinion, especially if they are long-standing members. Iif they are new members and are obviously trolling, I get that that would be annoying. But people like CreweCold, whom I think a lot of comments are aimed at, are not trolls and they're just sharing a view

People writing off cold get hammered on here but there are also members of NW that often make outrageous predictions of record-breaking cold virtually every winter - it never happens but they get off scot free cos they're saying what people want to hear

All the best

• Like 5

Posted

Just to cheer everyone up  A bit of nostalgia here with no marginallity  anywhere in the UK here from 1969.  A true old school Arctic Northerly. All side roads blocked by drifts metres deep in this area.Could contain: Text, Page

• Like 5
  • Insightful 1

Posted
38 minutes ago, LRD said:

I get what you're saying and, of course, to write off any sort of cold weather in January around the New Year period was proved wrong... but this week has hardly been countrywide Narnia either. Some northern and western parts have had a bit of snow and I'm pleased for folk in those areas. And there have been widespread frosts but it's still a fair way from what most of us look for in winter, generally, and in January, specifically. Fortunately, my expectations are always very low in winter and my kids are older now so I'm no longer especially invested in cold and snow. I'd like to see it but it bothers me less and less with each passing year (and just as well - as snow will become rarer and rarer with each passing year), although I still like to see wintry scenes for the fortnight either side of Xmas

Yet again, I will very probably not see a single flake of snow in January where I live. I shrug my shoulders these days but it's utterly remarkable what has happened to this so-called winter month over the last 35 years

When people do write off a month or a few weeks or even a whole winter regards cold conditions, they're absolutely piled on in here. But that's what this place is for isn't it? For us amateurs (and some excellent pros on here too) to make a forecast based on a) what they're seeing in the models, b) what they've experienced in the past in terms of model-watching and the reality of past winters and c) what their 'gut' is telling them based on these things? When I first started reading and then contributing to these forums, when people wrote off cold for long periods, it used to irritate me, too, but not anymore. Now I can't understand why folk get so offended when someone expresses that opinion, especially if they are long-standing members. Iif they are new members and are obviously trolling, I get that that would be annoying. But people like CreweCold, whom I think a lot of comments are aimed at, are not trolls and they're just sharing a view

People writing off cold get hammered on here but there are also members of NW that often make outrageous predictions of record-breaking cold virtually every winter - it never happens but they get off scot free cos they're saying what people want to hear

All the best

Think the major problem we have are that a lot of the older people who contribute did live through the 60's to 80's winters where especially up here it snowed every winter and was on the ground for a fair few days , living through the last 20 odd years or so it is becoming on the whole more of a rarity as the climate warms and high pressure gets established over the south and near continent in winter it is become more of a rarity especially the further south you are though there will always be exceptions where every once in a while we will get a longer cold spell. That's the reality of the world we now live in .

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
11 minutes ago, Northernlights said:

Just to cheer everyone up  A bit of nostalgia here with no marginallity  anywhere in the UK here from 1969.  A true old school Arctic Northerly. All side roads blocked by drifts metres deep in this area.Could contain: Text, Page

looks like wishbone effect though? with central areas clear and sunny, that's the problem though with 'back then' this a few days later,Could contain: Outdoors, Nature, Art

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Hurricane, Storm

Edited by I remember Atlantic 252
  • Like 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, Northernlights said:

What a difference in temps from today's northerly,  scary 

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, johncam said:

Think the major problem we have are that a lot of the older people who contribute did live through the 60's to 80's winters where especially up here it snowed every winter and was on the ground for a fair few days , living through the last 20 odd years or so it is becoming on the whole more of a rarity as the climate warms and high pressure gets established over the south and near continent in winter it is become more of a rarity especially the further south you are though there will always be exceptions where every once in a while we will get a longer cold spell. That's the reality of the world we now live in .

I only remember the very, very late 70s and 80s and the period from Jan 79 until Jan 87 we learnt to expect snow even down here in the tropical south. It wasn't a matter of if but when. Even in mediocre winters like 82-83 we had a cold Feb spell

But, as you say, things have changed, especially since the turn of the century despite that blip between Feb 2009 and March 2013

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and wind storms

@johncam Hard to compare though, because that Northerly contained -17c uppers... whilst the latest one has around -6c uppers!

Edited by LightningLover

Posted
1 minute ago, LightningLover said:

@johncam Hard to compare though, because that Northerly contained -17c uppers... whilst the latest one has around -6c uppers!

Isn't that his point, though? That the air we tapped into from N'ly airstreams used to be much, much colder?

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, LightningLover said:

Doubt we will see northerly that cold again 

Just now, LRD said:

Isn't that his point, though? That the air we tapped into from N'ly airstreams used to be much, much colder?

Was a lot more sea ice about to the north of us so cold air didn't have as much open sea to travel over 

• Like 1

Posted

Anyway I am off out for a few Friday beers 😁 , have great evening guys 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and wind storms
1 minute ago, LRD said:

Yeah I think you're right, sorry for not quite getting that. Guess I was just marvelling over the archived T850 charts! -13c uppers reaching the south coast, truly an anomalously cold northerly.

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, johncam said:

Anyway I am off out for a few Friday beers 😁 , have great evening guys 

If it's lager, make sure it's COLD 🙂

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, LRD said:

If it's lager, make sure it's COLD 🙂

Always 😁

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm sunny summers
53 minutes ago, Northernlights said:

Oh yes, probably the most severe northerly outbreak I have come across although I was too young to remember it, however, Philip Eden describes it well in one of his book:

A severe northerly wind developed on the 7th and a band of heavy snow swept south across the whole country on these bitter winds, by the 9th only parts of Central southern England were without snow cover.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
47 minutes ago, johncam said:

Having worked outside in the Building Trade on, and off since 1976 , I can honestly say that  winters back then were much colder. 87 especially springs to mind as being absolutely perishing .    Being at Primary School in the mid 60s I can recall snow on a far more regular basis than we now see. 

Sadly , these days,  there doesn't seem to be much to differentiate between Autumn, and what is supposed to be Winter.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted

The 80's were very cold years definitely though the 87 crazy cold was short lived. Global warming has definitely made its mark on winters though not so sure summers have changed that much in terms of average temps.   I do remember though a run of very mild winters in the early 70's and I believe the early 1900's were pretty snowless for the large part. My point is, it can change on a sixpence and thats the weather. Lets not forget Dec 10 was the coldest December in living memory

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper winter/Proper summer

Today in Northwest NI, I skied along a country lane near my home. Best spell of winter cold here since 2010. 2018 BFTE was extremely cold but just a dusting of snow.

Could contain: Road, Outdoors, Nature, Tree, Plant, Scenery, Fir

Could contain: Tree, Sky, Nature, Outdoors, Fir, Road, Utility Pole, Scenery, Sunlight, Path

Could contain: Road, Tarmac, Tree, Highway, Freeway, Outdoors, Fir, Nature, Scenery, Gravel

Could contain: Road, City, Outdoors, Nature, Tarmac, Street, Urban, Tree, Plant, Ice

Could contain: Tree Trunk, Tree, Road, Flare, Sky, Nature, Outdoors, Sunlight, Scenery, Tarmac

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Posted
2 hours ago, Penrith Snow said:

Oh yes, probably the most severe northerly outbreak I have come across although I was too young to remember it, however, Philip Eden describes it well in one of his book:

A severe northerly wind developed on the 7th and a band of heavy snow swept south across the whole country on these bitter winds, by the 9th only parts of Central southern England were without snow cover.

Ah no snow for Southern Central LOL! There's a surprise ...

Posted
9 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

I actually feel really depressed that I don't think i'm ever going to see snow again in my life!

Why do you think that?

Posted
11 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

I actually feel really depressed that I don't think i'm ever going to see snow again in my life!

Move up north pronto😁