Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2022/23 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
1 hour ago, Ed Stone said:

Well, whaddayerknow... a chance of snowfall in Eastern England, later in the week? At +5C? I have my doubts. 🤔🤔 Met Office weekly forecast:

Edit: PS: When was the last time we had a WINTER month colder than March 2013?

Let's see what happens, at least the cold air is in now, rather than coming in and hoping for it to beat the warm front, last night was never gonna happen for many. Only problem will probably coastal areas. But we'll see I guess. Might also as it moves south depend on whether the warm sector manages to get involved ahead of the northerly, but that should be temporary.

Edited by alexisj9
  • Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

And that could be what's changed, WWS: the springtime collapse of the tPV has come to be a greater source of deepish cold than the old-style winter pattern? 

Who knows, but it's certainly true that March 2013 and 2018 opened my eyes to the idea that deep cold in that month was even possible. Not that I don't remember seeing snow in March before mind such as on the 21st in 2001 when I was in my last year at school. But for how strong the cold was and how snowy it was you could easily have thought it was a month or two earlier for how true Winter it looked and felt like a 80s style cold spell.

Anyway with that in mind still plenty of time for something epic I guess.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
5 minutes ago, Walsall Wood Snow said:

Who knows, but it's certainly true that March 2013 and 2018 opened my eyes to the idea that deep cold in that month was even possible. Not that I don't remember seeing snow in March before mind such as on the 21st in 2001 when I was in my last year at school. But for how strong the cold was and how snowy it was you could easily have thought it was a month or two earlier for how true Winter it looked and felt like a 80s style cold spell.

Anyway with that in mind still plenty of time for something epic I guess.

Just think about the springs of 2020 and 2021: one was warm and sunny; the other, cold and sunny -- but, no sign whatsoever of winter comparable to the 'best' of the 20th Century?🤔

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, thunderstorms, warmth, sun any time!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

Just before we get down to the 1to hours runs, here is the Mets week ahead, video coldd frosty and snow for Some.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Posted
26 minutes ago, syed2878 said:

Just before we get down to the 1to hours runs, here is the Mets week ahead, video coldd frosty and snow for Some.  

Don’t agree with him regarding milder for the south east next week. I don’t think the milder air will make it at all. 

• Like 1

Posted

Brilliant output from the gfs this evening. The cut off upper low over southern Europe facilitates Azores/eastern Europe HP  linkage which effectively cuts off the colder air. Oh my...........

Edited by knocker
  • Like 1
  • Insightful 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal
6 minutes ago, knocker said:

Brilliant output from the gfs this evening. The cut off upper low over southern Europe facilitates Azores/eastern Europe HP  linkage which effectively cuts off the colder air. Oh my...........

As long as it's dry, then I'll be happy. Bitterly cold weather is as useless to myself workwise as incessant rain.  Having to find work in the midst of a recession is bad enough ,without having to cope with foul weather as well.   When it affects you financially , it's a completely different matter.     Not much one can do about it though.

Edited by 78/79
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
29 minutes ago, 78/79 said:

As long as it's dry, then I'll be happy. Bitterly cold weather is as useless to myself workwise as incessant rain.  Having to find work in the midst of a recession is bad enough ,without having to cope with foul weather as well.   When it affects you financially , it's a completely different matter.     Not much one can do about it though.

Unless it snows, it's useless to me too. What's the use of cold weather if it disnae snow? And, in any case, aren't we now in winter 2023?😁

PS: Well, bugger me if it ain't snowing!!:santa-emoji:

Edited by Ed Stone
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal
9 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Unless it snows, it's useless to me too. What's the use of cold weather if it disnae snow? And, in any case, aren't we now in winter 2023?😁

Tend to agree Pete, a week or so of cold with a bit of snow  for the youngsters ,no probs at all.  I used to love it as a kid, and , I suppose part of me still does.

Just to have a break from this damnable rain will be a blessing.  I'm lucky insofar as I'm getting close to retirement now, I really feel for younger people with mortgages, vans etc  to pay for  and families to support in all of this.       We might get a covering here as well being about 580 feet a.s.l. 😊

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
47 minutes ago, RJBingham said:

Short trip to Northumberland, left for home at 9am -5c bit of snow.

Could contain: Cottage, Nature, Outdoors, Weather, Lamp, Tree, Ice, Shelter, Snow, Winter

A bit of snow?!  That would shut down the south east!!

• Like 3

Posted
1 hour ago, Ed Stone said:

A nice walk is good when it’s dry and cold. Dry cold and sunny or even cloudy is the next best thing to cold and snowy for me. It can stay like that until March as far as I’m concerned, if the rain stays away. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and Snowy Days

Crisp dry start to the day. -3. Looks set to be the theme for the week. 

Despite the grim mild wet interludes this winter, on face of it for me down here it’s been a good winter. December had 2 weeks of cold weather and snow. Another dry cold week for this week and maybe into next for Jan, albeit snowless, it feels more seasonal. 

I’d taken that at the start of winter if you offered it to me.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

My only moan is where is the snow lol. This one was always for the northwest and western coasts, but it's damn cold out today here in the South East corner. Shame the cold couldn't get in before the channel low Monday morning. I'm happy for those in the SW that got snow from last night's one.

Edited by alexisj9
  • Like 1

Posted

Had a max of -0.4c today thanks to the cloud which has finally departed.

That makes it yet another ice day for this winter, not bad going given just the trace snowfall during December.

I suspect tonight will be another bitter one now the cloud has departed again.

Edited by kold weather
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

Glorious image today from Dundee Satellite Station

Shows lying snow from Monday morning, over southern Scotland, northern England and N.Yorks moors.

Large swirl of cloud from low over Channel Islands, which brought flooding to Jersey today.

And the Polar Low over Shetland which is now bringing heavier snow, few lightning strikes and strong winds to NE and northern mainland Scotland = Amber warning

• Like 1
  • Insightful 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow in winter,warm sun in summer!!!!
7 minutes ago, Jo Farrow said:

Glorious image today from Dundee Satellite Station

Shows lying snow from Monday morning, over southern Scotland, northern England and N.Yorks moors.

Large swirl of cloud from low over Channel Islands, which brought flooding to Jersey today.

And the Polar Low over Shetland which is now bringing heavier snow, few lightning strikes and strong winds to NE and northern mainland Scotland = Amber warning

Hi Jo , is it a polar low as it seems to have milder air  wrapped round it ? Not sure what definition a polar has ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie
18 minutes ago, johncam said:

Hi Jo , is it a polar low as it seems to have milder air  wrapped round it ? Not sure what definition a polar has ?

Nick's written a whole blog about it today, it was under the Hyper-link 

sat_170123.JPG
WWW.NETWEATHER.TV

A detailed look at the dynamics behind a polar low sweeping south into the North Sea in the next 24 hours, bringing heavy snow showers and blizzard conditions to parts of northern Scotland this evening / tonight.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow in winter,warm sun in summer!!!!
Just now, Jo Farrow said:

Nick's written a whole blog about it today, it was under the Hyper-link 

sat_170123.JPG
WWW.NETWEATHER.TV

A detailed look at the dynamics behind a polar low sweeping south into the North Sea in the next 24 hours, bringing heavy snow showers and blizzard conditions to parts of northern Scotland this evening / tonight.

Thanks 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms & Snow

The only good thing about this winter is when it' over. 

Two cold snaps - no snow in Guildford yet again. More snow falls in Cornwall formerly the most 'snow-free' part of the UK, than here as a conducive synoptic set-up never develops. 
Weeks of endless rain and soon as the temperature drops low enough for snow, we can't get a single flake to fall. 

Sunday 11th December was a joke with the snow area moving in an anticlockwise direction around Guildford missing the area by <10 miles and now its northerlies, the most useless synoptic set up for snow here and this follows yesterday's channel depression disappointment and this morning's S.W. snow frustration. Current winter is worse than 1983/1984 - at least there were flurries that year. 

In the nine years after the end of the cold winter era in 1987, there were two reasonable winters (1990/1991 and 1995/1996) and two acceptable winters for snow (1993/1994 and 1996/1997). In a comparable nine year period since the last decent winter (2012/2013) there have been NO reasonable winters and snow only fell in March 2018 (B.F.T.E.) after a horrendous winter of cold rain and let-downs beforehand, February 2019 (which was at Fleet and not Guildford - where I was lucky enough to be to witness the interesting weather for a change) and 24th January 2021. 

Kick in the teeth with another snowless borefest for the rest of this week, especially given the excitement of this time 10 years ago. 

If we can't get a proper cold snap with WIDESPREAD snow then I wish we could get conditions like in the winters of 2018/2019 and last year, mild and dry, so I can at least enjoy my cycling and forget about the rotten weather. Conditions may be boring but at least everyone's missing out in a mild dry set-up and it is easier not to get frustrated yearning for something that no one else is experiencing.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1