Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2022/23 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

The lengthening daylight hours is starting to become noticeable in the evenings now, and the sunset time is the same as it was on the 9th of November. 

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Yes it wasn't bog standard here. I recorded several nights in a row below -3°C which might not sound a lot but for here it rarely gets that low. Another rare occurrence here was several days in a row where frost remained in the shade which more or less never happens here. The only thing that was bog standard I guess was the lack of snow here but otherwise it certainly wasn't. 

Edited by matt111
  • Like 2

Posted
3 hours ago, kold weather said:

The thing that irks me is the idea that the December cold spell was bog standard.

Nope it's a top 0.02% event over the last 50 years for cold weather. People may not like that because they got no snow in their backyards but those are the cold hard facts.

Since 1970 just 15 days we're colder than December 15th. If that's a bog standard cold spell to some, then we may as well all piddle off and get another hobby frankly.

In Jan/Feb1982 alone it felt as though there  were more than 15 days colder than Dec 15th 🥶

Posted
1 minute ago, Rammie said:

In Jan/Feb1982 alone it felt as though there  were more than 15 days colder than Dec 15th 🥶

I can't remember exactly but 81-82 probably has the most that beat it, 2010 has 4 I believe.

But yeah the list is not very long, I think because of the lack of snow it is going to be forgotten to time despite being legitimately the 2nd most severe spell of cold in the 2000s

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
5 minutes ago, DCee said:

HP over UK now a certainly. Could last into Feb. Good news!

Could contain: Plot, Chart

Hopefully, but these settled spells do tend to downgrade nearer the time

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

Up at the highest point of County Dublin today, 757m.  The things one has to do to see some snow these days.  

• Like 9

Posted
5 hours ago, kold weather said:

The thing that irks me is the idea that the December cold spell was bog standard.

Nope it's a top 0.02% event over the last 50 years for cold weather. People may not like that because they got no snow in their backyards but those are the cold hard facts.

Since 1970 just 15 days we're colder than December 15th. If that's a bog standard cold spell to some, then we may as well all piddle off and get another hobby frankly.

Glad someone said this.. the December spell was pretty severe in terms of frosts. Here we had 7 days of mins below -5C and a few days around -8 to -10C, quite notable given we haven't really seen cold temps like this since Dec 2010.. Table below illustrates the depth of cold, at MAN airport. 

Could contain: Text, Mobile Phone, Phone, Electronics, Number, Symbol

I certainly won't forget it, but it does make sense why some people would as there wasn't much snow around (except SE). Even here we only got a light dusting. 

Posted

Looks like a cold rain fest in the SE, was it ever going to be anything else? And can someone tell me the last time a U.K. HP cell moved northwards (and didn’t topple SE)? Must have been a long time ago now. At least it’s going to dry out a bit 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎
10 hours ago, BLAST FROM THE PAST said:

It’s down to 1c here where I am, and falling.  Going to get interesting early a.m.   I think there’s big potential for heavy snow coming

BFTP

Where's the heavy snow😂

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm
1 hour ago, ANYWEATHER said:

Where's the heavy snow😂

Still 4000 feet up 🤣

BFTP

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and Snowy Days

Thought it was April 1st as Met Office forecasted potential snow and ice overnight and cold rain arrived 😂 

Still a dry week is most welcomed after weeks of wind and rain.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

A crazy night of weather here. Huge pressure drop, heavy rain and strong winds. Then the temperature rapidly dropped, rain turned to ice pellets briefly, then full on snow with a wind chill of -4°C before it turned back to rain again. 26mm from that system.

Could contain: White Board, Chart

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
13 hours ago, kold weather said:

I can't remember exactly but 81-82 probably has the most that beat it, 2010 has 4 I believe.

But yeah the list is not very long, I think because of the lack of snow it is going to be forgotten to time despite being legitimately the 2nd most severe spell of cold in the 2000s

Because of the lack of snow it will never be in the list of most severe cold spells, despite its length. 

Here, the most notable aspect will be how cold it got without snow. Could’ve been so much more.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
4 hours ago, JoeShmoe said:

Looks like a cold rain fest in the SE, was it ever going to be anything else? And can someone tell me the last time a U.K. HP cell moved northwards (and didn’t topple SE)? Must have been a long time ago now. At least it’s going to dry out a bit 

Xmas 2005?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Well, whaddayerknow... a chance of snowfall in Eastern England, later in the week? At +5C? I have my doubts. 🤔🤔 Met Office weekly forecast:

Edit: PS: When was the last time we had a WINTER month colder than March 2013?

Edited by Ed Stone
  • Thanks 1

Posted
21 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Well, whaddayerknow... a chance of snowfall in Eastern England, later in the week? At +5C? I have my doubts. 🤔🤔 Met Office weekly forecast:

Edit: PS: When was the last time we had a WINTER month colder than March 2013?

December 2010 I believe.

• Thanks 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Walsall Wood Snow said:

December 2010 I believe.

That's what I thought -- but one's memory gets 'challenged' as one ages!👍

Posted
19 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

That's what I thought -- but one's memory gets 'challenged' as one ages!👍

The coldest WINTER month since March 2013 (2.8c) so far, is February 2018 (3.1c). Though January 2021 was quite close (3.2c). Amazing to think though that the coldest month in the whole of the last decade (just) is classed as a Spring month rather than a Winter month.

Edited by Walsall Wood Snow
  • Like 3

Posted
8 minutes ago, Walsall Wood Snow said:

The coldest WINTER month since March 2013 (2.8c) so far, is February 2018 (3.1c). Though January 2021 was quite close (3.2c). Amazing to think though that the coldest month in the whole of the last decade (just) is classed as a Spring month rather than a Winter month.

And that could be what's changed, WWS: the springtime collapse of the tPV has come to be a greater source of deepish cold than the old-style winter pattern? 

• Like 1