Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2022/23 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow in winter,warm sun in summer!!!!
2 hours ago, Atmogenic said:

i'm hating this cold, though the weather is better with it being dry and sunny, the cold is terrible and the more thought i put in imagining of warmth, the more i'm missing and I can't wait to seeing the first 20c this year

If past years are anything to go by it won't be long 😎

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
2 minutes ago, johncam said:

Could be as soon as a months time! Unlikely as that was exceptional, but the longer days will soon be up on us. Only just over 5 weeks left of official winter.

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

Could be as soon as a months time! Unlikely as that was exceptional, but the longer days will soon be up on us. Only just over 5 weeks left of official winter.

Yep , last year we managed 15C  early March If my memory is correct 😁

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal, but not too hot in summer.
2 hours ago, Atmogenic said:

i'm hating this cold, though the weather is better with it being dry and sunny, the cold is terrible and the more thought i put in imagining of warmth, the more i'm missing and I can't wait to seeing the first 20c this year

Oh yes, let's look forward to another four months of "glorious" heat, where it's too hot to do anything, even sleep and keeping cool is a constant struggle.  Can't wait...

Posted

I'm bored of looking at the MAD thread now. I enter and scroll down not understanding a thing as most posts are about sst's and goodness knows what else that isn't model related. That complicating stuff really needs a thread of it's own!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper winter/Proper summer

Let’s put to bed once and for all that Pm/Nw/Nnw flows cannot/will not deliver. Whilst not an “Epic” week this week has surpassed expectations with several inches of Snow in many Western areas which has lasted through the daytime. Proper low minima at night and low maxima during the day has ensured that this is a most acceptable cold spell which I’d take any year.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

On the Feb 12 discussion elsewhere that will get moved I thought I would add that this was a response to a significant SW however it was just shy of being a technical one.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow
2 hours ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

I'm bored of looking at the MAD thread now. I enter and scroll down not understanding a thing as most posts are about sst's and goodness knows what else that isn't model related. That complicating stuff really needs a thread of it's own!

Me too, it kind of goes over my head, roll on spring and hopefully an early taste of summer 🙂

• Thanks 1

Posted
3 hours ago, johncam said:

Last year we didn't hit 20C here until mid-May. 

If anything, early warmth/heat doesn't bode well for summer. 2007/2011/2012/2020/2021 to name a few recently.

Compare that to summers 2006/2013/2018/2022 which took quite a while for the first heat but then had good summers.

Edited by reef

Posted
3 minutes ago, reef said:

Last year we didn't hit 20C here until mid-May. 

If anything, early warmth/heat doesn't bode well for summer. 2007/2011/2012/2020/2021 to name a few recently.

Compare that to summers 2006/2013/2018/2022 which took quite a while for the first heat but then had good summers.

19c was recorded in Scotland between 23rd and 26th last March and 29C in England 

Just now, johncam said:

19c was recorded in Scotland between 23rd and 26th last March and 29C in England 

20c in England 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All

We have about 3-4 inches of snow lying here this afternoon, more on the higher ground around, about 6 inches at around 1000ft and 8 inches around 1200ft, built up over the last 3 days. It’s the 8th day with falling snow and the 14th day with lying snow so far this winter. It’s a nice benchmark reached as in a normal good winter we typically talk of 2-3 weeks of lying snow (when all added up), more in a really good winter. Then we get winters like the last one, where we struggled for any settling snow at all.

Yesterday evening and overnight was interesting, the temperature slowly rose during the day to +1, there had been occasional showers all day, but it turned misty and there was a period of persistent light snow in the evening, settled a further half inch by 10 pm and another inch by morning. It stayed around 1 degree until 10pm but kept snowing, it felt like a small warm sector, but kept snowing through it. Temperature dropped away to freezing by midnight and down to -3 by morning. 

Just above freezing at the farm this afternoon, but because the humidity is a tad lower and because we had a -5.5 degree frost the night before the snow fell, there is not the slightest thaw, as indeed there wasn’t all through yesterday either. There’s been a couple of snow or soft hail showers, but a beautiful day besides. It has fallen very calm so I’m expecting a hard “snowfield” frost tonight. 

Here are some photos from my walk this afternoon. The first is a view of the dell, and the second and third are of some of the surrounding tops. I think that those are fox footprints in the middle one. Plenty of shower activity still around, none of it shown on the radars, not for where we are today at least. The wonders of the Irish Sea and the beautiful Cardigan Bay once it’s got stirred up!

Could contain: Vegetation, Tree, Weather, Nature, Outdoors, Scenery, Land, Wilderness, Landscape, Sky Could contain: Tree, Landscape, Outdoors, Nature, Scenery, Ice, Vegetation, Land, Soil, Fir Could contain: Plateau, Outdoors, Nature, Scenery, Weather, Tree, Land, Sky, Fir, Landscape

If you have some snow, enjoy it. If not, enjoy the rest of a lovely winter’s day. I’ve really enjoyed parts of this winter so far, even though we’ve had to endure some extended periods of very wet weather, and no doubt will have to again, there have been some really good days too, and what is often the most interesting part of the winter is still to come. The little bit more light in the afternoons is very welcome too. 

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Clear blue skies!

Wish winter had this type of weather at least 80% of the time. As much as I don't like being cold, having the sun out for most of the day is so uplifting and even in 2 degrees, it feels more like 12 and is comfortable. Can't stand endless grey skies, so these few days have been great! It's just the night time that's a struggle when it's feeling proper icey lol. Never had a problem with snow either so that can take up the other 20% of winter. If only!

• Like 2

Posted
54 minutes ago, TwisterGirl81 said:

Me too, it kind of goes over my head, roll on spring and hopefully an early taste of summer 🙂

Amen! 😄 I'm ready for heat now. No snow coming so stuff it. We're over half way through winter so warmth is just around the corner.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

I usually look foreward to warmth and sunshine around mid March, this year i'm making an exception...Met going for settled and then unsettled and mild until mid Feb... Model thread has resorted to desperate grasping at any teleconnection they can find that shows otherwise, mainly the Stat, which is getting a little tedious now, so, Roll on Spring!  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love heat & thunderstorms, but hate the cold
4 hours ago, S Bragg said:

Oh yes, let's look forward to another four months of "glorious" heat, where it's too hot to do anything, even sleep and keeping cool is a constant struggle.  Can't wait...

if 20c is too hot for you then you better move to the poles, i didn't say "i can't wait for a summer like last year" as i know for many that summer was awful for a lot of people due to the duration of the high temperatures, but 20c is pleasant it isn't too high nor too low, if your house is an oven when it's only 20c outside then you need better ventilation inside

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

I still live in hope I'll see snow before winters out, I always do every year but recent years have made me wonder why. No snow here or anywhere nearby really for several years now.

Was nice seeing some white on the ground earlier while out walking but frost isn't quite the same as a good snowfall. At least it was sunny again which makes a big difference to how it feels. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Oh and yes like others have said once we head into March I start looking for warmth. I don't really get any enjoyment out of a cold March unless it's something exceptional like we had in 2018 but that doesn't happen very often.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal, but not too hot in summer.
28 minutes ago, Atmogenic said:

if 20c is too hot for you then you better move to the poles, i didn't say "i can't wait for a summer like last year" as i know for many that summer was awful for a lot of people due to the duration of the high temperatures, but 20c is pleasant it isn't too high nor too low, if your house is an oven when it's only 20c outside then you need better ventilation inside

Maybe you should move to the tropics instead and invest in warmer clothing?  Works both ways.

Posted

This has been a poor cold spell for me , not even all that cold at night compared to December and the light covering of snow we had disappeared quickly ,another dissapointing winter looks on the cards as some have said looking mild now till mid Feb at least so roll on spring 

Posted

I can’t wait for the hot weather to return once we get the mid to late March. 

Still in winter mode now, and at least for the next 6-8 weeks, but after that I’ll be looking ahead to those lovely 24-28c days of sunny skies and lovely warm sunshine.

Don’t want a summer of 19-22c with lots of cloud and rain in between. 

If you don’t like the heat once it hits 20c, go to northern Finland until late September.

Just now, johncam said:

This has been a poor cold spell for me , not even all that cold at night compared to December and the light covering of snow we had disappeared quickly ,another dissapointing winter looks on the cards as some have said looking mild now till mid Feb at least so roll on spring 

It may have been poor for snow, but it has been very cold. There’s no denying that.

It doesn’t have to be -5 during the day with heavy snow to qualify as a cold spell. 

14 minutes ago, S Bragg said:

Maybe you should move to the tropics instead and invest in warmer clothing?  Works both ways.

You can head to northern Finland for the summer, and let us enjoy the heat. 

Posted
5 hours ago, S Bragg said:

That’s surely better than the awful 4 weeks of wind and rain during the first half of January. 

When it gets to late March and April, the hot weather can’t come quick enough.

Posted
Just now, johncam said:

Would be quite significant to get the level of cold similar to December again this winter, it's one of the coldest 10-day periods we've had this century.

After all this cold weather we've still not had a good snowfall..  hopefully Feb delivers 😄

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love heat & thunderstorms, but hate the cold
37 minutes ago, S Bragg said:

why you so passively aggressive from someone who just wants warmer weather?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
5 hours ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

Oh, come on, Beka, you know it's coming... Has there ever been a UK winter in which an SSW hasn't been over-ramped? We could of course see a 'perfect' SSW only for it to be scuppered, at the last minute, by a rogue sunspot!?😁

But of course, there's a chance; and a chance is always better than no chance? 👍👍

• Like 4