Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2022/23 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
3 hours ago, KTtom said:

I guess there is a bit of IMBY in people perception... from my point of view then, at no point so far in January has it been cold enough here to snow. We had showers everyday last week (rain) up to yesterday and then today where its been drizzly..

15 miles inland from you we have had a decent cold spell this past week, a 3cm covering of white stuff (hail not snow) remained for 5 days only now on the thaw, some hard frosts as low as -7.6c, maxima  under 5c.

• Like 2

Posted

Also as per others the December spell was a notably cold one with a 4 day run of ice days and the lowest readings since 2010 getting down to -13c so not to be sniffed at.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 hour ago, CreweCold said:

I made this point in the model thread a couple of days ago.

The very fact that 3C daytime temperatures, some overnight frosts etc (in what is meant to be deep winter) is being lauded, just goes to show how low our expectations have become.

The March 2006 polar NWly gave more notable weather than the week just gone.

I’ve lost more time at work this winter than I can ever remember, last week I couldn’t start working until 11am from Tuesday to Friday, looks like Monday to at least Wednesday the same this coming week added to the week in mid December, it’s getting a tad frustrating now, I wish I could have the milder weather the north and west are getting.

oh and not one poxy snowflake, just frost and more frost, my sons last 4 Sunday football matches called off either frozen pitch 3 times or once waterlogged, what a load of pony.

• Like 1

Posted
8 hours ago, CreweCold said:

I made this point in the model thread a couple of days ago.

The very fact that 3C daytime temperatures, some overnight frosts etc (in what is meant to be deep winter) is being lauded, just goes to show how low our expectations have become.

The March 2006 polar NWly gave more notable weather than the week just gone.

Bet that went down well 🤣

Very much agree. This last week was not exceptional for mid January Even the Met say it, cold yes. I agree the pre Xmas cold was out of the ordinary, especially for night time cold, but to balance that we had an out of the ordinary 2 week mild spell. So,overall with justover a month to go, temperature wise around average below average snowfall, by the end of Feb my money will be on winter being above average temperature wise.  

Edited by KTtom
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
11 hours ago, kold weather said:

Sorry to burst your bubble but that systement is nonsense.

15th December was the coldest since Dec 2010. It was the 2nd coldest 15th December ever.

It also is the 16th coldest day in the last 52 years in that December cold spell. (4 came in 2010 for example).

Only 15 days have been colder in 50 whole years. Out of over 18,000 days in that time period, just 15.

I understand it has not had the length if cold spells as some past wintets, but the peak cold had absolutely been as notable as just about any historical cold blastveven of the 70s/80s, yet alone in the recent period.

We had a fairly sustained run of ice day CET means in December, again unusual for the last 25 years, though not so unusual for the 80s to be sure.

You literally are wrong by calling it one or two cooler spells. The December cold spell was just outright severe at its peak, whether you like it or not. 

15th December was the 10th coldest December day in 120 years. Only 2 December days between 1900-1950 are colder.

But yeah, normal cool spell....

Many thanks for the data, found it very interesting. My datum is the 70's and 80's, your data proves my point well. Thank you.

Posted
1 hour ago, KTtom said:

Bet that went down well 🤣

Very much agree. This last week was not exceptional for mid January Even the Met say it, cold yes. I agree the pre Xmas cold was out of the ordinary, especially for night time cold, but to balance that we had an out of the ordinary 2 week mild spell. So,overall with justover a month to go, temperature wise around average below average snowfall, by the end of Feb my money will be on winter being above average temperature wise.  

Not exceptional for most of the UK, but for the SE this spell has been quite potent. Heathrow saw it's coldest minima since 2012 today, a low of -8C with quite a few nights around -6C. Meanwhile it's 4C up here.. This month does remind me of Jan 2017.

• Like 1

Posted
20 hours ago, Tom Quintavalle said:

It's getting pretty desperate now.

Thinking of starting a bring back,  Rob McElwee petition!! 

Regards,

Tom Q. 👍 

He was the best.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Wintry again here in the Czech Republic, snowed all afternoon yesterday and now have freezing fog. Not especially cold though, temperature is hovering around -3°C, it’s actually been a fair bit colder in my west London hometown (currently at -7°C).

Could contain: Shelter, Outdoors, Car, Nature, Neighborhood, Spoke, Alloy Wheel, Wheel, Suburb, Weather

Could contain: Shelter, Outdoors, Weather, Nature, Winter, Bag, Snow, Waterfront, Water, Housing

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms!

I used to be a fan of cold weather, but a £400 electricity bill in December (storage heaters...) has me looking in fear of a prolonged cold spell. Living in a flat with single pane windows is no fun (landlord wont change them and already gave me a warning for using shrink-wrap to do homemade glazing.)  

So for the 1st time in my life i am really hoping any cold spell is short. 

• Like 6
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow
21 minutes ago, Shane said:

I used to be a fan of cold weather, but a £400 electricity bill in December (storage heaters...) has me looking in fear of a prolonged cold spell. Living in a flat with single pane windows is no fun (landlord wont change them and already gave me a warning for using shrink-wrap to do homemade glazing.)  

I think it's time you found a better home and landlord bless you....The profiteering from this energy crisis is criminal.

Funnily enough my online energy hub from EDF stopped working the end of November and they couldn't send anyone out until the end of January (tomorrow!)  I am scared to know what mine will be, i'm hundreds in credit but not been billed since the beginning of September.

It's been a cold winter, we had a very light dusting of snow but otherwise it's just been very frosty which isn 't fun as it means leaving for work early to defrost the car....I am more than ready for mild weather even if that means rain.

Edited by TwisterGirl81
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

West London has had its coldest night in 10 years, with Heathrow dropping to -8.4c and Northolt dropping to -8.2c

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted

SE folk must be satisfied with this winter so far. A pretty good snowfall in December with a severe cold spell, snowfall on ground for around a week. And another cold spell in January with notable mins. Only thing that let it down was the mild period mid Dec to Jan. 

Its a change from the dull, nondescript winters they get over there. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
2 hours ago, Shane said:

I’m sure that government guidelines for rental accommodation states that double glazing should be the minimum standard? Might be worth checking with your local council or citizens advice bureau 

• Thanks 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Summer Sun said:

West London has had its coldest night in 10 years, with Heathrow dropping to -8.4c and Northolt dropping to -8.2c

I believe its the 4th coldest night at Heathrow since 63. 

I understand its not as cold everywhere, but that is a legitimately intense cold period again down here, though mainly min driven this time.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms!
7 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

I’m sure that government guidelines for rental accommodation states that double glazing should be the minimum standard? Might be worth checking with your local council or citizens advice bureau 

Borderline E. I have double glazed in the bathroom and Kitchen, but Bedroom and living room single. the guidelines are if you are an E you dont need to change it... So is legal! 

You can rent out a property that has single glazing as long as the energy rating of the property is higher than an ‘E’. There are some exemptions to this, though. Now, unless there are other energy efficiency items in place, a property with single glazing will have a difficult time reaching an ‘E’ rating.

Could contain: Page, Text, Plot, Chart

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.

I wouldn't mind a break now - today was the sixth day in a row I've had my face frozen on my way to work.😒 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

It's cloudy over here, and the temperature is above zero, so no fog and no frost; possibly a better representation of the airmass than an isolated frost hollow stuck under an inversion? 🤔

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety
1 hour ago, Frigid said:

SE folk must be satisfied with this winter so far. A pretty good snowfall in December with a severe cold spell, snowfall on ground for around a week. And another cold spell in January with notable mins. Only thing that let it down was the mild period mid Dec to Jan. 

Not a flake of snow in the Horsham district so just another cold dry spell of the sort we get every other winter. As for the severity, I judge that based on the amount of disruption. Since there has been no snow, I have managed to get out on my bicycle without issues, managed to get out in the car without issues and have managed to use the trains without issues, I would say the cold spell in the SE has not been severe. It is not the weather that is severe, it is the UK's dreadful resilience to even modest deviations from normality and a large number of the population's inability to adapt to changes in weather regime. If the temperature drops to freezing, put another layer on, drive more carefully in potentially icy conditions and plan for the possibility that your journeys may take longer.

• Like 2

Posted

Even though it's freezing outside (literally) where the front door has had the sun on it, is really warm, it feels like spring is not far off now, thank heavens.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and Snowy Days
1 hour ago, Frigid said:

Had snow down here which hung around for a week in December. Wasn’t copious amounts compared to days past, but given the run of snowless winters, I’d take it. Had another week of cold weather very low single digit temps last week and into this week. 

Apart from the mild dross that arrived at Christmas and lasted a few weeks, I’ve enjoyed this winter. Felt more seasonal than previous winters. I do hope it delivers for others seeking the white gold mine. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sunny days!

1st day in a while that, the ice has actually melted from my car.  Was -4 earlier, a mild spell will be greatly appreciated.  My boiler packed up last Monday (sensor) so only had a tiny little fan heater.... my cats loved it, me and my other no so much.  Heating was back working Friday lunchtime, thank goodness.