Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2022/23 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted

Ok I need to moan today, its a Tuesday in February and winter drags on, and days like today make you yearn for the spring sunshine to come soon. An incessantly grey dismal dank day in southern Lake District, drizzle, temps about 6 degrees, a stillness that reflected the general overall mood that can pervade this time of year, static and in need of a reboot I say. The outlook looks equally uninspiring, for a country that prides itself on variable weather, current synoptics couldn't be further from the truth. We need an injection of energy, just something to shake things up a bit. By now we've had 3 months of often dark dismal weather and it does get to you!

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
29 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Ok I need to moan today, its a Tuesday in February and winter drags on, and days like today make you yearn for the spring sunshine to come soon. An incessantly grey dismal dank day in southern Lake District, drizzle, temps about 6 degrees, a stillness that reflected the general overall mood that can pervade this time of year, static and in need of a reboot I say. The outlook looks equally uninspiring, for a country that prides itself on variable weather, current synoptics couldn't be further from the truth. We need an injection of energy, just something to shake things up a bit. By now we've had 3 months of often dark dismal weather and it does get to you!

Was sunny most of the day here and felt ok in the strengthening sun.  Really noticing the days lengthening, too.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
9 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

Welcome back 👍

To be fair, I think winter 2022/23 hasn’t been too bad. It’s been a mixed winter, and despite the lack of snow, it’s had some decent cold spells, and the milder periods have also been pleasant in the sense they haven’t overstayed their welcome.

The worst period was the wet weather, but on the whole it’s been dry, on the back of a wet autumn. 

Cheers 👍🏻 Bit of a nondescript winter in my UK home area but there was a decent cold spell in December. Everyone on the allotments have been complaining about frozen cabbages, that rarely happens in the London area. A sunnier than average January too, which is always welcome.
More seasonal in the Czech Republic with several decent cold spells and a fair bit of snow and ice. 

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Don said:

Was sunny most of the day here and felt ok in the strengthening sun.  Really noticing the days lengthening, too.

Yes much of England had a decent day, the dreaded SW airstream always bring low cloud never fail to here, whatever time of year and is my worst synoptic, unfortunately most common, look at the weather map today and the cloudiest part of England, southern and western Cumbria - blame that dam Irish Sea, nothing to stop the cloud rolling in, equivalent of the N Sea haar that troubles east coast in the spring, but that is often just a seasonal anomaly unlike the SW wind.

• Like 3

Posted
2 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

Cheers 👍🏻 Bit of a nondescript winter in my UK home area but there was a decent cold spell in December. Everyone on the allotments have been complaining about frozen cabbages, that rarely happens in the London area. A sunnier than average January too, which is always welcome.
More seasonal in the Czech Republic with several decent cold spells and a fair bit of snow and ice. 

It won’t be long until the heat and thunderstorms, but I have a feeling we will get a 1994 style spring, with some cold air still lingering into April and possibly May, mixed in with a few warm days.

Then, as we move into June, some cooler weather lingering before it turns hot and thundery. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: In summer, a decent thunderstorm, and hot weather. In winter, snow or gale
7 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

It won’t be long until the heat and thunderstorms, but I have a feeling we will get a 1994 style spring, with some cold air still lingering into April and possibly May, mixed in with a few warm days.

Then, as we move into June, some cooler weather lingering before it turns hot and thundery. 

Id happily take a spring 1994 repeat if we get the July that followed it.. decent amount of heat and storms.

Yes, had enough of winter now, we're moving in the right direction.

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, SummerShower said:

Id happily take a spring 1994 repeat if we get the July that followed it.. decent amount of heat and storms.

Yes, had enough of winter now, we're moving in the right direction.

Yeah I’ll be happy with a 1994.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots

A pleasant day in the sun today; down to a t-shirt while walking the dog at lunchtime! The sun is already much higher in the sky than around the solstice.

Have they really been discussing a cold April in the mad thread? I'm sorry, and some may disagree, but in my experience no model or prediction could tell you anything about what the weather's going to be like in 8 weeks time! It's not worth straying beyond 2 weeks, maybe 3 if you push it and there are strong signals.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow in winter,warm sun in summer!!!!

I have been checking out the Reykjavik webcams for my snow fix , how sad am I 

• Thanks 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, johncam said:

You need to book a winter holiday abroad for your snow fix!

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Don said:

You need to book a winter holiday abroad for your snow fix!

Ano

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

I personally haven't had enough with winter just yet and I would be happy for wintry conditions to continue up until mid March. It's not that often we get fairly decent spells in winter these days, so I am very much enjoying it. 

February is a winter month and is the winter equivalent of August, despite many Februaries in recent years often being more springlike. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots
59 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

Who  is going to tell the MOD posters that winter is over.🤐

Just watched Alex's Met Office 'deep-dive' from today (loving that new format they've brought out, BTW), and there's now an 80% chance of an SSW. In other words, an 80% chance of something happening that leads to what, a 10-20% chance (totally guessing here) of a beast from the east type situation unfolding. That'll be more than enough for them to cling on to I'm sure. 😁

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow>Freezing Fog; Summer: Sun>Daytime Storms
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness
5 hours ago, damianslaw said:

This reminded me of the bottom video, which is a sendup of the top video, so I recommend watching top first then bottom:

Edited by The Enforcer
  • Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, lassie23 said:

Who  is going to tell the MOD posters that winter is over.🤐

*Tin helmet on*

39 minutes ago, johncam said:

Show me! Show me!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow>Freezing Fog; Summer: Sun>Daytime Storms
1 minute ago, ResonantChannelThunder said:

Just watched Alex's Met Office 'deep-dive' from today (loving that new format they've brought out, BTW), and there's now an 80% chance of an SSW. In other words, an 80% chance of something happening that leads to what, a 10-20% chance (totally guessing here) of a beast from the east type situation unfolding. That'll be more than enough for them to cling on to I'm sure. 😁

They won't need that, regardless of whether there are actually any background signals or not, GFS will continue to churn out phantom easterlies at range every few days for the next couple of months.

• Like 2

Posted
13 minutes ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

I personally haven't had enough with winter just yet and I would be happy for wintry conditions to continue up until mid March. It's not that often we get fairly decent spells in winter these days, so I am very much enjoying it. 

February is a winter month and is the winter equivalent of August, despite many Februaries in recent years often being more springlike. 

August is the new Autumn - February the new Spring ....

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal, but not too hot in summer.
4 hours ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

I agree, and it's annoying how some people want to inflict "warm sunshine" on us when it's not even March yet.  We'll have 4, 5 months even of that misery when May comes around.  Can't we just enjoy what's left of winter first?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
2 hours ago, S Bragg said:

I agree, and it's annoying how some people want to inflict "warm sunshine" on us when it's not even March yet.  We'll have 4, 5 months even of that misery when May comes around.  Can't we just enjoy what's left of winter first?

If you don’t enjoy winter in the first place then no, absolutely not. Heat haters would be happy if summer turns out to be cool & wet, so not sure why you’d expect cold haters not to be happy with a mild February. 

I really don’t get people on here sometimes. 

Edited by cheese
  • Like 2

Posted
8 hours ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

*Tin helmet on*

Show me! Show me!!

Just type in live from Reykjavik,  cant get the link to copy and paste 

• Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

One can only hope.....

• Like 2