Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2022/23 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
7 minutes ago, Afrayedknot said:

Yes in the Troodos montains. 

I lived in Cyprus for 4 years , generally a good amount of snow between Jan and March , which is why they have a few ski lifts and some short runs. This was taken in April, still plenty of snow. 

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Person, Helmet, Tree, Snow, Car, Vehicle, Shoe, Piste

• Like 4

Posted

Another winter passing by when the core period where on average the coldest temps occur roughly 20 Jan to 10 Feb by and large looks like it will be devoid of any serioud cold, yes early in the period it was cold, but not snowy.

Increasingly it seems our most wintriest weather occurs outside of the depths of mid winter.. we had very cold weather very early this year, might we see further very cold weather as we move into the latter stages of winter, quite possibly.. however, we never quite seem to see the best cold synoptics come in the heart of winter when they can be most severe. Its been a long time since we have seen a very cold latter third to Jan and start to Feb. 2021 sort of did this, on and off I guess, before that we had 2012 - but the cold came late tail end of Jan lasting well into Feb, not since 2010 has said period been consistently cold. 2013 brought a milder spell late Jan into Feb before cold came back again - not far off but a bust.

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 2

Posted

Looking like the SSW straw will be the last one to cling onto if we are to see any further cold weather this Winter. Operationals showing euro high for the duration of their outputs , so southwesterlies for the UK...wet in the north west.

Edited by KTtom
  • Like 1

Posted
8 hours ago, damianslaw said:

Another winter passing by when the core period where on average the coldest temps occur roughly 20 Jan to 10 Feb by and large looks like it will be devoid of any serioud cold, yes early in the period it was cold, but not snowy.

Increasingly it seems our most wintriest weather occurs outside of the depths of mid winter.. we had very cold weather very early this year, might we see further very cold weather as we move into the latter stages of winter, quite possibly.. however, we never quite seem to see the best cold synoptics come in the heart of winter when they can be most severe. Its been a long time since we have seen a very cold latter third to Jan and start to Feb. 2021 sort of did this, on and off I guess, before that we had 2012 - but the cold came late tail end of Jan lasting well into Feb, not since 2010 has said period been consistently cold. 2013 brought a milder spell late Jan into Feb before cold came back again - not far off but a bust.

Wintriest weather for 2018-19 came in that period you've mentioned

Jan 17-Feb 3  2019 CET was about 2.3°C

Jan 17 -Feb 7 2015 CET was about 2.4°C

Not very cold but they should be mentioned as they are comfortably below the average for the period. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

What a beautiful day. Hard to imagine that a severe cold spell is starting at 6pm this evening(!) 😂

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Nick L said:

What a beautiful day. Hard to imagine that a severe cold spell is starting at 6pm this evening(!) 😂

Just popped out was surprised how pleasant it was. Awesome day for golf ⛳️ 

Looks like a Euro high on the cards for the next couple of weeks, it could get chilly at the surface for a time but generally some nice late winter weather on offer! 

Posted

Time to write off the chance of seeing any cold and snow for the remainder of the Winter.

A poor winter for cold but not as bad as the last few Winters at least their was a bit of snow and plenty more frosts than I have seen in the winter for a while.

But still way below what you should expect.Look out for  sometime in Spring to develop the cold weather patterns when its too late .like a couple of years ago in April and May.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
1 hour ago, Nick L said:

I heard a warning on LBC, yesterday: we'll need to keep a close-eye on our vulnerable friends and rellies, as temps could fall as low as, wait for it -- -3C!😁

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, frost and snow

This winter has just felt very quiet overall, especially here in EA at least. 

There was the excitement of the early December cold spell, with which I was lucky enough to see a little snowfall from. But outside of that it's just felt very quiet, although plenty of frosts here must be said.

But in terms of exciting weather, whether that be cold, snow, storms or any extremes. Just feels like nothing has really happened. And looking at the charts it doesn't look like much is going to change throughout February, unless this potential SSW can provide some excitement towards months end. But I won't be holding my breath on that!

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

Heights to the south continued Atlantic activity to the north and west...the ridiculous +NAO anomalies continue which have been off the scale since roughly 2013. Still waiting for a colder than average winter which hasn't happened since 2012-13.

• Like 1

Posted
16 minutes ago, Froze were the Days said:

Heights to the south continued Atlantic activity to the north and west...the ridiculous +NAO anomalies continue which have been off the scale since roughly 2013. Still waiting for a colder than average winter which hasn't happened since 2012-13.

Think 20/21 was colder than 91 to 2021 average

17 minutes ago, Froze were the Days said:

And 2018

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sun, storms & ‘Oh no can’t go into work - snowed in’ days

The contrasts of the season this morning….ice crystals in the atmosphere creating a 22 degree halo and the regeneration of the ground with Crocus in bloom ❄️🌱

Could contain: Sky, Outdoors, Nature, Grass, Plant, Horizon, Sunlight, Field, Grassland, Scenery      Could contain: Flower, Plant, Petal, Crocus

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 hour ago, NewEra21 said:

This winter has just felt very quiet overall, especially here in EA at least. 

There was the excitement of the early December cold spell, with which I was lucky enough to see a little snowfall from. But outside of that it's just felt very quiet, although plenty of frosts here must be said.

But in terms of exciting weather, whether that be cold, snow, storms or any extremes. Just feels like nothing has really happened. And looking at the charts it doesn't look like much is going to change throughout February, unless this potential SSW can provide some excitement towards months end. But I won't be holding my breath on that!

It has reminded me a lot of 1991/92 so far. For us, that winter was close to average temperature-wise and relatively snowless but had cold, frosty spells with rather mild spells in between.

Funnily enough the coldest periods were at a similar time: 7th-16th December and after a mild first 10 days the rest of January was cold before turning mild into February.

Spring and the first half of summer were then quite warm (especially May and June).

Edited by reef
  • Like 3

Looking through the models it seems winter may end quietly the sun is gaining strength and the high pressure sat over us is very slow to move anywhere aka gfs run, however it will start feeling like spring soon, can feel some warmth in the sun today! The final few weeks of winter will soon be over 

• Thanks 1

Posted

Its a shame all this high cloud is trapped in the high. It looked promising for a few days of clear and sunny weather, but its become so thick now it's barely sunny.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
1 minute ago, reef said:

Its a shame all this high cloud is trapped in the high. It looked promising for a few days of clear and sunny weather, but its become so thick now it's barely sunny.

Yes for a day that was supposedly going to be sunny all day it’s been a huge disappointment so far here. Started sunny but has been cloudy again for most of the day just like most of this week. I can see some brightness though so maybe the sun might come back out at some point. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Why do experienced and well respected poster write ‘an’ SSW, surely it’s ‘a’ sudden. What am I missing? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, gales, snow, thunder and more snow
Just now, Spah1 said:

Why do experienced and well respected poster write ‘an’ SSW, surely it’s ‘a’ sudden. What am I missing? 

It is but when abbreviated, saying ‘an SSW’ rolls off the tongue better than ‘a SSW

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm
15 minutes ago, Spah1 said:

One Pronounces S as Ess.  Do you read SSW as Ess Ess W or as Sudden Stratospheric Warming?  That’s the only reason I’d say

BFTP

• Like 5
  • Insightful 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, good sun at other times with appropriate rain.
26 minutes ago, BLAST FROM THE PAST said:

One Pronounces S as Ess.  Do you read SSW as Ess Ess W or as Sudden Stratospheric Warming?  That’s the only reason I’d say

BFTP

Is grammatically correct, words that begin with consonants that have vowel sound beginnings are preceded by an rather than a.  These are f,h,l,m,n and s.  So  give me a b, i’ll take an f. All h words should be preceded by an (leftover from the french) so an hotel, an hedgehog, an horrendous set of weather charts… but then an hedge, an house, an hound sounds a bit wonk.

Edited by snefnug
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Just a quickie any chance the possibility / myth of the earths core stopping  and mag pole shift will have any effect on the weather and models ? Any thoughts ? 

Please move mods if you think it is justified

Posted
21 minutes ago, snefnug said:

Is grammatically correct, words that begin with consonants that have vowel sound beginnings are preceded by an rather than a.  These are f,h,l,m,n and s.  So  give me a b, i’ll take an f. All h words should be preceded by an (leftover from the french) so an hotel, an hedgehog, an horrendous set of weather charts… but then an hedge, an house, an hound sounds a bit wonk.

I have consulted A Practical English Grammar by Thomson & Martinet and they say that 'an' is used before words beginning with a vowel, a mute h (e.g. hour) or individual letters spoken with a vowel sound (e.g. an MP, an 's').

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
11 minutes ago, Biggin said:

Just a quickie any chance the possibility / myth of the earths core stopping  and mag pole shift will have any effect on the weather and models ? Any thoughts ? 

Who knows, doubt re core stopping is a problem at the moment though. While eruptions are still happening, the core is just fine, nothing has solidified under us just yet.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Winters
16 minutes ago, Biggin said:

If the earths core stops, then we won’t be worrying about snow in our back gardens. As we will all be the bigger fish that are frying under intense radiation from the sun. Because the magnetic poles will have ceased

• Like 2