Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2022/23 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters, warm spring, hot summers
On 08/02/2023 at 19:00, snowray said:

They will be soon enough, trust me. Why has February become such a warming month, I don't get it, my birthday is in middle of the Feb, and I always remember snow either before, during of after.

My birthday 24th of Feb and I often used to get a birthday snow present. I'm hoping this year 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Sun

I think the phrase of the day for the mad thread will be ' clutching at straws'. Anyway, let's hope it stays mild so those of us unfortunate enough not to be millionaires, unlike those in the mad thread, can afford their gas and electric for the next 8 weeks. 

Edited by Bald Eagle
  • Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

The Greenland HP is a thing of beauty, even in summer-

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Nature

Hopefully we see lots of cool charts like this over the coming months. Had more than enough brutal heat last summer.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

Our local weatherman Fergie made his first mention of the SSW on the local news last night. He was saying it brings the chance of much colder weather at the end of February and the start of March. We're lucky to have him here in the west country and I'm looking forward to his updates.

An interesting few weeks of weather watching coming up for sure.

• Like 3

Posted

Very benign winter again, not uncommon. Even in the summer down here things are pretty benign, warmer, drier, sunnier and less thunderstorm activity. Who knew that global warming would give this part of the world such a pleasant climate? I thought the warming was supposed to make the weather more active.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love heat & thunderstorms, but hate the cold
22 hours ago, johncam said:

The problem is we can't get the bloody sun , another cloudy drizzly day and mild to boot

Then you must be in an unfortunate location as here it has been blue skies for just over a week now, with a few days in the morning having light cloud and then breaking into clear sunshine

Edited by Atmogenic

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

And there was me thinking we’d have a dry weekend. Everything wet this morning from drizzle…. Yuck!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sun, storms & ‘Oh no can’t go into work - snowed in’ days
15 hours ago, Summer Sun said:

And from the experts today…

Could contain: Mobile Phone, Phone, Electronics, Text    
Somehow, I just can’t see that 93% cloudy…or should I put my glasses on?? 🤓 

Could contain: Horizon, Sky, Nature, Outdoors, Scenery, Ground, Land, Landscape

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
6 hours ago, Bald Eagle said:

I think the phrase of the day for the mad thread will be ' clutching at straws'. Anyway, let's hope it stays mild so those of us unfortunate enough not to be millionaires, unlike those in the mad thread, can afford their gas and electric for the next 8 weeks. 

Only reason I don't want cold, but if it happens, with snow, I won't mind.

Posted

Cloudy here today, for the first time in a while. Not expecting it to lift, but I guess we'll see 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow in winter,warm sun in summer!!!!
1 hour ago, Atmogenic said:

Then you must be in an unfortunate location as here it has been blue skies for just over a week now, with a few days in the morning having light cloud and then breaking into clear sunshine

Yep 

Just now, johncam said:

Yep 

It's called Scotland 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

I am hoping we have another cold and sunny spell before winter draws to a close. As mentioned before, if the cold is accompanied by sunshine then I am going to be having my heating on less often than if it was 10°C and overcast. Particularly now that the sun is gaining strength again.

We actually have our heating on right now and it's 11°C outside, but overcast.

• Like 4

Posted
1 hour ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

I am hoping we have another cold and sunny spell before winter draws to a close. As mentioned before, if the cold is accompanied by sunshine then I am going to be having my heating on less often than if it was 10°C and overcast. Particularly now that the sun is gaining strength again.

We actually have our heating on right now and it's 11°C outside, but overcast.

Same less heating is needed when it's sunny, either cold or warm outside, the sun warmers the bricks&roof, which in turn keeps warmth in the house, even acts like a storage heater, and radiates heat in. Becomes a problem in summer with mine.

• Like 1

Posted

We haven't had any rain yet this February. It has been rather sunny too, with 51 hours so far. The 1991-2020 average for the entire month is 86 hours, so its looking likely to be another sunny one.

It will be the third winter in the last five where all three months had higher than normal sunshine. We need another 61 hours by month end for it to be the sunniest winter on record.

So far we've had:

December: 73hrs (122%)
January: 103hrs (169%)
February: 51hrs (159%) so far.

Its been close to average for the mean max (+0.4C) and air frosts: 22 (21), but terrible for snowfall with 5 days of falling sleet/snow and just two days with it on the ground at 0900 - and that was not measurable.

Despite being disappointing for snow, it has been pleasant though, with many dry and sunny days and only 10 days with gales.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Clear blue skies!
1 hour ago, reef said:

We haven't had any rain yet this February. It has been rather sunny too, with 51 hours so far. The 1991-2020 average for the entire month is 86 hours, so its looking likely to be another sunny one.

It will be the third winter in the last five where all three months had higher than normal sunshine. We need another 61 hours by month end for it to be the sunniest winter on record.

So far we've had:

December: 73hrs (122%)
January: 103hrs (169%)
February: 51hrs (159%) so far.

Its been close to average for the mean max (+0.4C) and air frosts: 22 (21), but terrible for snowfall with 5 days of falling sleet/snow and just two days with it on the ground at 0900 - and that was not measurable.

Despite being disappointing for snow, it has been pleasant though, with many dry and sunny days and only 10 days with gales.

I always thought that the South and South East were the sunniest places in the UK but Yorkshire and other places further North always seem to have higher sunshine amounts. 103 hours for January? We finished on 80, using the nearest station to me, Shoeburyness. You also beat us for December and are ahead by around 10 hours for February so far. I can't wrap my head around the fact that Yorkshire is sunnier than where I live near the East coast! I know we get Haar sometimes but it's not massively common.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety
13 hours ago, Robbie Coldrain said:

I thought the warming was supposed to make the weather more active.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety
6 hours ago, Catbrainz said:

I really hope that the cold March that some folks are talking about doesn't come to pass. Bring on double digit highs and sunshine I say. It would mean less heating bills for sure. 

Agreed, as an allotment gardener I had enough of difficult/destructive weather patterns from out trolling climate these last few years. If I have a sixth year of poor cropping despite a lot of work I will be giving up with it.

Edited by al78
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Can whoever stole the sun please kindly return it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sun, storms & ‘Oh no can’t go into work - snowed in’ days
8 minutes ago, matt111 said:

Can whoever stole the sun please kindly return it.

Think that’s us….days on end of sunshine here….just a selection of different days over the last week 👍🏼

Btw, no, sorry, we won’t 🤷🏼‍♀️.

Could contain: Horizon, Sky, Nature, Outdoors, Scenery, Ground, Land, Landscape   Could contain: Horizon, Sky, Outdoors, Nature, Scenery, Tree, Plant, Ground, Grass  Could contain: Horizon, Sky, Outdoors, Nature, Road, Scenery, Tarmac, Highway, Freeway  

Could contain: Horizon, Sky, Outdoors, Nature, Scenery, Road, Grassland, Azure Sky, Grass, Gravel

Anyone fancy moving?? 😆

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!
9 minutes ago, RebsAbbo said:

Think that’s us….days on end of sunshine here….just a selection of different days over the last week 👍🏼

Btw, no, sorry, we won’t 🤷🏼‍♀️.

Could contain: Horizon, Sky, Nature, Outdoors, Scenery, Ground, Land, Landscape   Could contain: Horizon, Sky, Outdoors, Nature, Scenery, Tree, Plant, Ground, Grass  Could contain: Horizon, Sky, Outdoors, Nature, Road, Scenery, Tarmac, Highway, Freeway  

Could contain: Horizon, Sky, Outdoors, Nature, Scenery, Road, Grassland, Azure Sky, Grass, Gravel

Anyone fancy moving?? 😆

It has been lovely weather locally @RebsAbbo The Yorkshire Wolds have enjoyed it's fair share of sunshine this past week! 😁

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All weather

Tonight feels like spring , it’s coming as old mokidugway would say 😀

Posted
26 minutes ago, Tills said:

You mean discussions about the actual model outputs rather than speculation?

Just because you don't like others posting about the next 14 days and keeping your feet on the ground doesn't make them 'meaningless'.

I assume this place is a broad church and not all of us like cold weather in spring time and some of us would prefer discussions about what the models are actually showing a little more than what you hope they might show.

xx

I'm not entirely sure what angle your post intended to come from but speculation is fine and so is opinion. The SSW is certainly not speculation, its happening, the speculation comes from how may affect our weather, be it for cold or mild. Regardless there is nothing wrong with speculation in terms of how it may affect us based on the outputs, my point was just that using a day 16 GFS chart in pure isolation from one run to back up a point of not being guaranteed cold from the upcoming SSW is meaningless. It holds not substance whatsoever. 

It is a broadchurch yes, there are many  differing preferences however I'd imagine that those wishing for mild in comparison to those wishing for a cold snowy period would probably be equivalent to a top flight football match....

Coldies are at home and took the lead in early in the match to go 1-0 up, but mildies clawed it back to make it 1-1 after quiet mundane period, the game is finely in the balance the now, the coldies are rallying though and getting behind their team, backing it and cheering it on, they're piling on the pressure and sustaining attacks, every so often though there's a wee break by the away team and the away fans in the corner try to get their voices heard. 👀👀... The game has just ticked over to 80 mins and the home team are about to bring on a couple of subs, MJO comes on for +NAO and SSW has done a thorough warm up and ready to come on aswell..... the last 10 mins will be interesting 🤣🤣

Posted

Typical timing..

4 crisp frosty mornings while travelling to work last week, and 5 days with decent amounts of sunshine, followed by cloudy nothing weather on both days this weekend (a common theme of many recent weekend days), before it is forecast to be sunny again on Monday and Tuesday.

• Like 1