Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2022/23 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter
2 hours ago, Ruzzi said:

Sorry but it's a weather forum, not a cost of living political forum. 

Absolutely nothing wrong with wanting severe weather in a weather forum. 

Sure it's a bonus for heating bills if the weather remains on the milder side but you can't judge a post or member in a weather forum for wanting some severe weather. 

Anyway, Still a good few days before the SSW is achieved, model outputs are not to be trusted, volatility will be rife. It's intriguing to see how the models may change between now and 10 days time. Also, with the GFS "upgrade", it'll be interesting to see how it deals with things post SSW 

Very well said. I am so sick and tired with hearing that old energy bills chestnut. There are people struggling every single year regardless on how cold or mild the winter is. And as you say, this is a weather forum, so needless to say there are going to be weather enthusiasts,

I am never going to apologise or feel ashamed for liking cold weather in winter.

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

Very well said. I am so sick and tired with hearing that old energy bills chestnut. There are people struggling every single year regardless on how cold or mild the winter is. And as you say, this is a weather forum, so needless to say there are going to be weather enthusiasts,

I am never going to apologise or feel ashamed for liking cold weather in winter.

Agreed and unfortunately everything is getting too political these days!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow
2 hours ago, matt111 said:

Indeed, while everyone has their own preferences I don't think a weather forum is the place to bemoan people who do want something colder no matter what the situation away from here is, we're all here to share a passion for the weather without worrying about what's going on away from it. At the end of the day it's not like anyone here has any control what happens. 

Speaking of weather, it looks like today was the last of this run of dull days here before the sun comes back tomorrow. 

Im not anti cold, love a cold cozy winter but I think when you consider most peoples energy bills have tripled, cost of living rise etc  and not all of us have great paid jobs, don’t come from rich families  or don’t have the luxury of not working it’s easy to see why some of us are hoping March is mild seeing as it will be spring. Winter has had its time, whether you love cold or not it’s nuts to be wishing for a cold March let alone a cold April 🤦🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
42 minutes ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

Ideally April warmth like 2020 and 23c will do nicely. 

Now this is something I can definitely agree with. I like warmth in April (March for that matter)

30 minutes ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

Not getting political enough. That's why the country is in such a state.

But not this. No need to get political here. 

Edited by matt111
  • Like 3

Posted
8 minutes ago, matt111 said:

Now this is something I can definitely agree with. I like warmth in April (March for that matter)

But not this. No need to get political here. 

Agreed. But being as someone mentioned it thought I would comment accordingly. 

Posted
1 hour ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

Not getting political enough. That's why the country is in such a state.

As others have said, this is a weather forum and there are plenty of other forums to discuss the above!

Posted
48 minutes ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

Agreed. But being as someone mentioned it thought I would comment accordingly. 

Fair enough, I'll leave you to it.

Posted
1 minute ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

You were the one who said everything was getting too political  i just reacted to that. 

That's because it is in my view and it was also mentioned prior to my comment by someone else (see earlier posts).  Anyway I don't have a problem with you commenting!

Edited by Don

Posted
Just now, NEVES SCREAMER said:

Ok mate. No worries. Have a nice evening. What's left of it !!

Yeah, you too. 😎  Monday morning now though! 😬

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

No rain for my neck of the woods since the 14th of January - be a whole month ago tomorrow.

Looks like the trend for stuck weather patterns for weeks on end continues. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool summers.

Highs over Europe bringing up southerly flows... hmm, seen that pattern before. Weather patterns at the moment would bring a scorchio in summer. Wonder if the atmosphere is "showing" us a taste of summer 2023. Just like last winter...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Last rain here was 25th January but was only 1.4mm. The last significant rainfall was on 16th January which was very wet with 20.2mm falling that day. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
44 minutes ago, LetItSnow! said:

Highs over Europe bringing up southerly flows... hmm, seen that pattern before. Weather patterns at the moment would bring a scorchio in summer. Wonder if the atmosphere is "showing" us a taste of summer 2023. Just like last winter...

Hopefully we're out of this rut before summer begins.

I won't hold my breath though because it seems we get a heat spike every summer recently.

Posted
3 hours ago, CreweCold said:

Hopefully we're out of this rut before summer begins.

I won't hold my breath though because it seems we get a heat spike every summer recently.

4 hours ago, LetItSnow! said:

Seeing what is happening in the stratosphere, I am starting to get bad vibes (if you want  hot, dry, sunny) about this coming summer. I get the gut feeling it is going to be more likely that of 2007-2012 than 1994-96.

Just a gut feeling.  

Edited by Weather-history

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold

Look like this SSW is nothing like the 2018 SSW as nothing remotely cold is showing in the output in contrast to 2018.

Pathetic winter.

Edited by prolongedSnowLover
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

Well, another Winterless year for certain now looking at the models. One short lived spell of cooler/cold temps in December isn't Winter, far from it. It would be akin to have a brief hot snap in June then below average temps for rest of summer. Folk would be moaning like hell about that.😉

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool summers.
1 hour ago, Weather-history said:

Seeing what is happening in the stratosphere, I am starting to get bad vibes (if you want  hot, dry, sunny) about this coming summer. I get the gut feeling it is going to be more likely that of 2007-2012 than 1994-96.

Just a gut feeling.  

I’d take a proper stinker to be honest, for a break from the heatwaves and also for climatic interest. We haven’t had a real write off summer since about 2008 really. 2012 was really awful but August was slightly warmer than average and did have some better weather at times. I think 2008 is the last summer where it was really, really bad. Very cloudy so mean the C.E.T. doesn’t show it but yeah. 

• Like 1

And goodbye winter, hopefully won’t see much of your next year either.

Could contain: Plot, Chart

March can obviously be a slow grind at times so not completely out the winter woods yet but looking forward to the warm season. Hopefully lots of warm / hots and thundery episodes to look forward. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.
1 hour ago, prolongedSnowLover said:

Look like this SSW is nothing like the 2018 SSW as nothing remotely cold is showing in the output in contrast to 2018.

Pathetic winter.

It must've been said about a thousand times now that tropospheric impacts won't yet be seen in the output. Patience is a virtue.

As for this winter being 'pathetic', we're on a comparable number of subzero CET daily means to 2009/10, and the December spell was only the eighth time in the last half-century that we achieved 10 or more consecutive subzero daily means. If you're a cold fan, you can't be displeased with that. Granted, there have been better winters for snow.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and Snowy Days

Been rather benign weather down here. Dry days on end with clear skies and cloudy skies on and off. Did have a small amount of drizzle yesterday, but nothing to write home about. 

Whilst for some this winter has been boring, for me it’s been refreshing. Had a small snow fix and also not prolonged mild spells. Lastly where I live, a nice little nature reserve up the road from me. Every year in mid winter we have sheep come graze for about 8 weeks. Last few winters because of mild conditions on the whole, there’s a lot of growth for the sheep to get through. Milder conditions have also meant most plants and trees springing before spring. This winter has prevented that. So likely the sheep will be done within 6 weeks and also the trees and other plants having a much needed lie in. So this winter has been most welcome here from a nature perspective. 

• Like 2