Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - New Year and Beyond

Message added by Paul,

Please keep your posts to discussing the model output in this thread, and for more general winter weather chat please use the winter chat, moans and ramps thread.

The model highlights thread is also available for a more concise view of the model discussions. 

Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted
1 minute ago, TSNWK said:

Looks so primed for a great day 9 chart? Mid atlantic heights intobthe gap between those two lobes of the vortex.. but I guess the low at the base of Canadian lobe will roll across to meets its European cousin and flattern the pattern 

There's always another low isn't there?

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal and interesting weather including summer storms and winter snow
1 hour ago, Allseasons-si said:

+20c on the jma this evening atop😲

JN228-5.thumb.gif.17a3ba2c6d8db379b0d009686d111013.gif

and still the gefs ens mean geo pot heights showing +ve heights to our NE,so i am still not worried about writing anything off yet😉

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram

sorry for the quick post,just been busy of late.

....yes,  not the warmest set of gfes i've seen...

Could contain: Chart

...mean still below Lt mean most of the time...

....also 12z ecm still showing that slight negative tilt i think at 240...

770825246_ECH1-240(10).thumb.gif.3f901011c4ba4c13e52094eb0f7357de.gif

896280360_ECH101-240(7).thumb.gif.9dd76aa7c896406ba548e8eb65c3e052.gif

...perhaps i am just wishful thinking..

..Another frost forming here...will be 7th in a row if it does...

Edited by minus10
Wrong word
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Blizzards in winter Hot and sunny in summer...other is simply boring!!
44 minutes ago, Don said:

Problem is when it keeps getting pushed back, that often spells trouble.  However, I'm glad you're still confident and certainly wouldn't complain if we have a 2018 repeat!

Don’t mean to temper the mood but how often does a feb 2018 scenario occur these days 1 in 20 year ? Yes get lots of easterlies but not many huge low pressures march straight into it ! Perhaps it’s a new trend of course I’ll be happy 😃 20cm here at 60 asl

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
50 minutes ago, Don said:

Problem is when it keeps getting pushed back, that often spells trouble.  However, I'm glad you're still confident and certainly wouldn't complain if we have a 2018 repeat!

Agreed, so often we see "10 day Outlook" and it pushes back and back and back, whilst we have 5 TRUE weeks of meteorological winter to go, every week it's pushes back, heads towards longer days, a warming in temperatures, less cold ground temperatures all due to the shorter days. Possibilities always exists, however every week backwards narrows those. We've seen a possible "split" and a possible displacement, and yet the current models seem more to be middle of the road.

Edited by Dorsetbred
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Most(see in interests section.)
3 hours ago, Kasim Awan said:

Still a solid signal for a mid Atlantic high in the next 7-10 days. Question is whether it can make a decent attempt at ridging northwards alongside a southeasterly push of trough energy into Europe. 

Spot on Kasmin. Let’s hope it can ridge north as these days this type of setup often struggles to ridge north soo let’s hope this time will be different. 

• Like 4

Posted
25 minutes ago, goosey007 said:

Don’t mean to temper the mood but how often does a feb 2018 scenario occur these days 1 in 20 year ? Yes get lots of easterlies but not many huge low pressures march straight into it ! Perhaps it’s a new trend of course I’ll be happy 😃 20cm here at 60 asl

I'm not saying I necessarily think we will get a 2018 repeat, just wouldn't complain if we did!

6 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

What was it? I forgot 

Very mild and snowless for most!

• Like 5

Posted

Quite a chilly mean from the ECM at day 10 - some PM air in the ensemble’s you’d think!! A very cold Scandy too - now where’s that North Easterly 🤔

Could contain: Graphics, Art, Accessories, Pattern, Outdoors

Could contain: Accessories, Pattern, Outdoors, Nature, Graphics, Art

Edited by Ali1977
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, Snowy winters.

ECM 12Z  850`s, steady.

Edit: To me, no signs of anything higher up throwing the model  into chaos.

NAO looking confident of going positive also.

Dumb location the UK... for cold anyway.

graphe_ens3.gifCould contain: Plot, Chart

Edited by Stuie W

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal
46 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

What was it? I forgot 

A bit of wind blew me fence down one day,  and one or two lost their ridge tiles as I recall . That was the most notable thing about it.

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted

Sky Sports 1 now for anyone looking a snow fix.

9 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Can’t see much coming from the strat warmings atm 

I’ll keep my powder dry for the time being until the models get the big fall of upper flow into their starting data 

I thought that we shouldn't be looking for anything until late February? 

Well outside model range 

Posted

I'm happy with the output right now. No zonal train in sight which is what we normally see at this time of year. The high in our vicinity is quite a beast in it's own right. It's a beast because I know the models struggle with strong anticyclones in north west Europe - simply because it's the opposite of what they are used to.  Totally out of their comfort zone and will need time to adjust to a new normal. I believe there could be some very tasty looking runs in the next couple of days. 

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Historical weather events. ❤ the seasons! Winters crisp snow!
1 hour ago, Cuban Zebra said:

I think people need to chill out! This reacting to each run as gospel is pretty tiresome and bound to ensure you end up in some kind of institution!! 
Things are so unstable and changing so fast and frequently, calling anything is fraught with danger!

Hallelujah 😇😇

A little sense, the next month could see some outrageous predictions fail. Very bullish forecasts and maybe they are right with the uk high staying put for weeks.

A preety safe and predictable forecast. I doubt they yet understand the dynamics involved with everything going on I feel, it feels different this year, huge amounts of fog for the 1st half and it has been very cold at times with so much blocking. 

A -nao, I'll go 14th feb for east of north winds to begin to hit the UK + Ireland 🤞

I don't know what will happen, just an opinion but I can see the cold biting us in the ass on the way out the door 🧚‍♀️🥶

Stellas on @legritter hope you're good buddy 🍻

• Like 8

Posted
1 hour ago, mountain shadow said:

Sky Sports 1 now for anyone looking a snow fix.

I thought that we shouldn't be looking for anything until late February? 

Well outside model range 

My point is that it’s possible that the reversals over the polar field later week 1 in the strat could affect the current view of later week 2.p and certainly week 3.  it’s doubtful because you’d expect  the nwp to have a handle on it but it feasible. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, good sun at other times with appropriate rain.
3 hours ago, blizzard81 said:

There's always another low isn't there?

That’ll be the handy fair weather….. I’ll get me coat…

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep Deep Snow causing chaos
1 hour ago, tight isobar said:

Scatter in abundance @12z ecm ens@ London ones.. although glass half full notions.. it’s clear to note the mean from around 1st feb .. and a more defined clutch of drop wanting members!.. the HP will be a “proper interesting watch “- through to the upcoming month “- I’m casting aside the bigger implications for now... and going simple Euro- window Synoptics!.. there is-certainly some meat on the bone.......... g’wan gunners 🤘🤘💥😜😜😜 @5. Clear 🤘😜

Could contain: Chart, Chandelier, Lamp

Could contain:

Some decent one's in there for sure , stating the obvious the drifting HP is key for us .

March blizzard with 2 feet of snow or MA to lift the title ? I will take the title and wait another year for my snow 🙂

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

A break here perhaps with more heights nudging into the Griceland area...

18z vs 12.

Could contain: Outdoors, Nature, Art, Plot, ChartCould contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors

the NWP have been towting at this(control mainly),and i just want to ask a question as it's totally over my head,...do NWP'S(the models) take into account the strat warmings?

i am sure they lag or lack on the subject and i have seen a quick turn in the models when they catch up.

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, Allseasons-si said:

A break here perhaps with more heights nudging into the Griceland area...

18z vs 12.

Could contain: Outdoors, Nature, Art, Plot, ChartCould contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors

the NWP have been towting at this(control mainly),and i just want to ask a question as it's totally over my head,...do NWP'S(the models) take into account the strat warmings?

i am sure they lag or lack on the subject and i have seen a quick turn in the models when they catch up.

I think you have more than a point. 

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal and interesting weather including summer storms and winter snow

If only this high would retrogress !!

Could contain: Outdoors, Nature, Art

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

There is a backtrack on the tpv to our NW getting in on this run through the UK and is a slower meridial run just past the UK :-IE more north to south with the jet

more backtracks please

as i said in my previous run,...mean heights gain control to our NE.

Edited by Allseasons-si
  • Like 3