Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - New Year and Beyond

Message added by Paul,

Please keep your posts to discussing the model output in this thread, and for more general winter weather chat please use the winter chat, moans and ramps thread.

The model highlights thread is also available for a more concise view of the model discussions. 

Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted
7 minutes ago, TEITS said:

This is why you rarely hear me comment on any post referring to the Stratosphere. So many variables that would make my head hurt! Will it be a minor or major warming? displaced or split vortex? where will the split or displaced vortices/vortex be located? How will the current ENSO, MJO and other variables interact with such a minor/major warming? How is global warming affecting some of these variables?

Im not knocking anyone who uses such methods but as you know im not the biggest fan of these forecasts using teleconnections etc. However I was very unfair to the members who use them i.e Tamara, Chionomaniac, Catocol etc which I continue to feel ashamed.

I prefer just to stick to the operations/ensembles and my gut instincts. However my guts have been way off this winter, probably too many curries.

you keep listening to your gut instincts - with your experience you aren't normally far wrong - and keep the curries to a minimum lol

• Like 4

Posted
40 minutes ago, MJB said:

From this 192h

gfsnh-0-192.png?6

To this 324h

gfsnh-0-324.png?6

Seems an awful long way  back from this ....................BUT let's see where the GFS OP sits in the ENS .

Is it not a positive we are seeing Incremental improvements in the short abd mid term.. much rather see a decent chart at day8  and rubbish at day 14 than opposite 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep Deep Snow causing chaos
5 minutes ago, TSNWK said:

Is it not a positive we are seeing Incremental improvements in the short abd mid term.. much rather see a decent chart at day8  and rubbish at day 14 than opposite 

No doubt it is - my point was how GFS created a monster of a PV 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
10 hours ago, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

Quick visit images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQyoVt2b_KNBMSqcDgmWL0

15th Feb 2018 archivesnh-2018-2-15-0-0.png

Tonights GFS 18z gfsnh-0-384.png

That's actually better, once the slide happens the rest will be in Canada not Greenland, however it's far to far away other than to see if a pattern develops. For now it is only on option of many at that time. Not looked but guessing this morning it's different.

• Like 1

Posted
5 hours ago, Penrith Snow said:

If February is mild as seems likely the seasonal model predictions back in the autumn of a front loaded winter becoming more NAO+ with time will have done well.

Really any SSW next week would take 3-4 weeks to propagate down so we may have to wait till March for a proper cold spell which IMO is very likely this year.

Andy

When was the last time a seasonal model was right about Feb, before winter. I'm not worried about it staying mild at all, I again expect the same as last time once a warm up happens, casue for me full warm up is still a while away.  Mobile for a bit and then a similar pattern back again. Althoughy preference would be different, I don't expect an easterly unless we do get the SSW you lot are on about.

• Like 3

Posted
3 hours ago, Lukesluckybunch said:

You really couldn't make it up..at 168 ukmo the whole of Europe except the UK is in the blue 850's!

It's lucky I have never seen a t168 verify as is at t0 then, have you?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Summer8906 said:

Though mild winter followed by cold March is distinctly rare. Could happen I guess, though 2016 is the only instance in the past 40 odd years when it has, IIRC.

What ever happens you can not call this winter mild.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
1 minute ago, alexisj9 said:

you could if feb came in at 6c - that would be over a +2c anomaly for the winter.

Edited by feb1991blizzard
  • Like 5

Posted
3 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

you could if feb came in at 6c - that would be over a +2c anomaly for the winter.

That's more to do with how warm the warm bits are then how much cold has been about. The cold signal is wiped away, unless you look back at daily or weekly figures. It has not been mild, the monthly temps don't show the reality anymore. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms and sunshine
6 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

A strong possibility going on current output. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
9 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

According to the CET, add Decembers to Januaries so far, divide by 2 (2 months to date) and i make Winters current CET 4.7c which is on the milder side of average.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted

We seem to have taken a bit of a backwards step this weekend regarding a colder outlook.  However, as others have stated, all is not lost yet with plenty to keep an eye on moving forward.  With the exception of 2018, we don't seem to have much luck with February these days though!

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, phil nw. said:

Not a lot of excitement it must be said in this slow moving pattern with any real weather across the north from time to time and then heading south east into parts of Europe.

Much inline with the Met Office extended forecast then?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and dry, or very cold. See my profile for model trivia

The one and only EPS cluster for days 8-10 is something nicer to look at, I think?

Could contain: Comics, Book, Publication, Modern Art, Art, PersonCould contain: Page, Text, Comics, Book, Publication, Plot, Chart, Rainforest, Vegetation, Tree

Could contain: Outdoors, Nature, ArtCould contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, NatureCould contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Nature

Edited by RainAllNight
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
9 minutes ago, Paul33 said:

My gas bill says it has not been a mild Winter so far !!!

Aye. Nothing lies like a gas meter!🤔

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.
25 minutes ago, Don said:

Much inline with the Met Office extended forecast then?

I haven't looked tbh Don,just my own thoughts.No surprise though given the trend over the last few days with this high sticking around for a while.

• Like 2

Posted

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Nature, Outdoors, Map, Person, Atlas, Diagram

Well forecasters in the states forecasting a warm east coast so i guess we cant blame all the cold weather engaging the warmer Atlantic and firing up the Atlantic Jet this time round..

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep Deep Snow causing chaos
1 hour ago, Louthweather said:

A strong possibility going on current output. 

Eh?

What output is showing the next 5 weeks at well above average temps?

• Like 7