Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - New Year and Beyond

Message added by Paul,

Please keep your posts to discussing the model output in this thread, and for more general winter weather chat please use the winter chat, moans and ramps thread.

The model highlights thread is also available for a more concise view of the model discussions. 

Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted
57 minutes ago, frosty ground said:

What you have written and what the tweet states are not the same.

have you missed a tweet?

It’s the second tweet down - for some reason copying the link has quoted both the first and the second. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
15 hours ago, Don said:

I'm starting to fear that February could be similar to last year now!

I think your fears are well founded, these predictive charts certainly suggest it becoming more unsettled and stormy into Feb, and that TPV is deeper/stronger than ever.

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Person, Face, Head

• Like 8

Posted

2 minutes ago, mushymanrob said:

I think your fears are well founded, these predictive charts certainly suggest it becoming more unsettled and stormy into Feb, and that TPV is deeper/stronger than ever.

Yes, it looks windy to the north west around the 5th of February. A couple of GFS runs have now shown this. 

Edited by Bricriu
  • Like 3

Posted

I think it's a bust for positive impacts from the weakening of zonal winds, unless wave 2 warming starts showing up to kill off the pv. With a strong TPV will the mjo going to phase 6 or 7 be enough to produce a block in a favourable position? That's probably our only chance for a snowy outlook more widely, but we could well get further polar maritime shots over the next month if the jet plays ball. 

Edited by Bricriu
  • Like 6

Posted
2 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

They said the same about the non coupling ahead of the northern arm awakening once the upper strat winds went into overdrive - it could just be co incidence that we saw the trop flow go strong zonal thereafter (it wasn’t though).  I can accept that the upper strat and trop are decoupled when the upper strat is fairly benign but when bigger things happen high up I don’t accept that they won’t affect further down in time

So if they do couple, will this lead to a reinforcing of the mobile pattern in the trop? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal and interesting weather including summer storms and winter snow

Where do we go from here?....

Could contain: Outdoors, Nature, Modern Art, Art

Could contain: Accessories, Outdoors, Plot, Chart, Art, Nature, Pattern, Face, Person, Head

.....edit...to here..

Could contain: Outdoors, Plot, Chart, Nature, Accessories

Edited by minus10
  • Like 7

Posted
Just now, minus10 said:

Where do we go from here?....

Could contain: Outdoors, Nature, Modern Art, Art

Could contain: Accessories, Outdoors, Plot, Chart, Art, Nature, Pattern, Face, Person, Head

We seem to be sleepwalking towards a cold period again, where ‘lee’ northerlies are now getting upgraded and longer lasting. Interesting times. 

23 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

They said the same about the non coupling ahead of the northern arm awakening once the upper strat winds went into overdrive - it could just be co incidence that we saw the trop flow go strong zonal thereafter (it wasn’t though).  I can accept that the upper strat and trop are decoupled when the upper strat is fairly benign but when bigger things happen high up I don’t accept that they won’t affect further down in time. 

He’s also posting from his personal account , not the met office views. He may therefore be letting his mild persuasion influence his thoughts. 

• Like 4

Posted
1 hour ago, mushymanrob said:

I was beginning to wonder what charts I was missing out on reading the previous page... That anomaly is not good going forewords, and considering most have previously said they are the most reliable, it must be taken seriously? It sounds like the Stat warming will be no good for any assistance so we are relying on home grown luck to get another cold spell, which worked fine in December.

Edited by KTtom
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, Snowy winters.
1 hour ago, mushymanrob said:

Looks like an example of both the AO and NAO going positive which i posted a day or 2 ago.

• Like 3

Posted
5 minutes ago, tight isobar said:

The 6z gfs carries on with my initial thoughts.. of colder air again making inroads to the uk! The preety reliable Norwegian service yr. no are also noting colder air spilling further west in nxt 7 days!! I think it’s time to pause looking for holy grail Synoptics via an SSW it’s getting clear it’s not gonna have much/ if any bounce for ourselves!... time to concentrate of are own micro adjustments me thinks.. and ones that could “ at least hold some fairly decent outcomes “!!!   Tbh the whole SSW thing is grating on me!!! Have a good day 🤘

to have or not to have an ssw - we could very well do better without one in the UK - who knows - but agreed we should put the subject to bed for the mo - say no more about it

• Like 8

Posted
2 hours ago, mushymanrob said:

That’s cheered me up on a Monday morning! 🍺

I did fear at the beginning of January that after the December cold spell, this winter could go the same way as last year and that’s now looking realistic!!

Edited by Don
  • Like 1

Posted
41 minutes ago, mushymanrob said:

Well ive not been using the EPS anomalies very long, so cannot say with much degree of certainty how accurate they are. So far they havnt been far off very often. These charts go out furthern than my favoured NOAA which i will defend as accurate or the most accurate for the timescale they represent. After John holmes research over ten years ago or so , ive been using them for something like 7. No predictive model suite is right all the time and differing people prefer differing predictive sources.

When the EPS matches a consistent NOAA, then the extended EPS charts are likely to be near to what we get.... when consistent.

The latest EPS attached goes out to the 7th. It suggests that a very strong TPV will dominate our weather pattern bringing, after a quieter spell, a return to normal february conditions from the West. As the contour lines are close together, that suggests mobile, unsettled, and even stormy. True we might get short spells of cold, 24/36 hour events, but these charts are a long way off delivering the decent Winters spell most here desire.

So yes, take them seriously as they have a realistic chance of becoming reality. Id be surprised if they were far off the mark, but nothing is set in stone, especially over 2 weeks away.

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Person

Hi Mushy, am I right in thinking that chart indicates a rather cool Westerly rather than mild South Westerly's? If that were the case then I'd be happy to take it for a while at least. We've had lots of settled cold weather and a bit of windy even stormy weather would be a nice change. 

Was it Jan 84 when we had some true cold zonality? Almost always the cold air is watered down as it approaches the nearer timeframe but I live in hope that one day we'll see a repeat of that pattern.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle

The modulation of the MJO characteristics via Kelvin Wave signals suggest that eventually we should see a slow Nina evolution lag week 2 via the reaction of MJO linear time-series and exiting +VE EPO Wave. Though this may see a further snap of cold as the development of local relative cold pooling and some meridional Wave train help. I don't think it'll amount to much but at least its something probably more for the North and Scotland.

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Person, Baby

Could contain: Person, Outdoors

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Person

• Like 1
  • Insightful 3

Posted
2 hours ago, Bricriu said:

So if they do couple, will this lead to a reinforcing of the mobile pattern in the trop? 

It doesn’t surprise me to be seeing the scandi trough becoming more relevant on the output with the same feature high up having been consistently modelled. Still waiting to be confident about the predicted zonal flow post weakening, top to bottom. 

• Insightful 3