Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Into February

damianslaw
Message added by Paul,

Please keep your posts to discussing the model output in this thread, and for more general winter weather chat please use the winter chat, moans and ramps thread.

The model highlights thread is also available for a more concise view of the model discussions. 

Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall

It would be interesting to know if any research has been done as to whether the time at which an ssw occurs ( ie early,mid or late winter ) has any consequential effect as to whether we get significant cold as a result.  For Instance  of those ssw that do result in cold for the UK  do a higher percentage of early winter ssw produce cold outcomes or are later winter ssw more likely to produce cold outcomes.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal and interesting weather including summer storms and winter snow

From T300 on gfs6z anomaly heights linking up accross the pole...

animsfx5.thumb.gif.d0d53a6934fe5911bd44fcf40e660bd6.gif

...probably means very little but just looking for diffrrences in the back end of the run now...

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted

making a judgment on current output (prob gfs/gefs led because of availability of data but with broad eps support), I think the first reversal around the 15th will not downwell into the lower strat at a latitude which would benefit us. However, a second warming at the back end of week 2 looks like it gives the impetus for the reverse flow to force the strat Canadian vortex extension lower down to dissipate as the strat ridge forces down into the n Atlantic sector. That should mean the Canadian tpv will drift further west and allow a greeny ridge to establish. 

of course trop patterns may force a late week 2 cold pattern in any case in the meantime and a pacific ridge into the pole as a QTR is still showing on plenty of ens runs and could be a wild card in general. 

• Like 5
  • Insightful 3

1 hour ago, Chesil View said:

It would be interesting to know if any research has been done as to whether the time at which an ssw occurs ( ie early,mid or late winter ) has any consequential effect as to whether we get significant cold as a result.  For Instance  of those ssw that do result in cold for the UK  do a higher percentage of early winter ssw produce cold outcomes or are later winter ssw more likely to produce cold outcomes.

So, when it comes to the relationship between SSW and the UK's weather, it's a bit complicated. There's no clear cut answer to whether early winter SSW or later winter SSW are more likely to result in cold or mild temperatures. A lot of factors come into play, like the timing, strength, and duration of the SSW event, as well as the conditions in the atmosphere at the time.

That being said, studies have shown that early winter SSW events tend to bring cold temperatures to the UK, while later winter SSW events are more likely to bring milder temperatures. But it's important to remember that each SSW event is unique and can have different effects on the weather. So, it's really hard to make any concrete predictions based on just one factor.

• Thanks 1
  • Insightful 2

Posted
1 hour ago, nick sussex said:

More encouraging signs today that the SSW will have an impact especially as there’s two warmings  . It’s like buses , wait for ages and two turn up !

Its hard to say how quick any trop response might be . No matter how good the model factoring in the forecast reversal versus starting conditions once that has actually taken place .

Late February and into early March has often delivered snow in the past although of course we do need to temper expectations with the increase in solar energy .

So it’s really a case of whether we can see a 5 star Synoptic set up , something like 2013 or 2018 or whether we have to settle for something not as exceptional .

I think at this point given the lack of snow for most even a 4 star one will be welcomed .

Personally I would want a 5 star one here as neither 2013 or 18 really delivered anything other than a light cover of snow here, obviously though those years did deliver for others, late Nov 10 was the last what I'd call decent snowfall here. So I am hoping for some raging NE/E winds to be showing in the models soon.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Posted

It was surprising at the time, in 2018 spell we had it cold  & windy with snow blowing around more than anything but never really got going and in this location we pretty much always avoid anything coming in from the west (storm Emma) so relatively dry here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm
5 minutes ago, Scandinavian High. said:

With SSW are we more likely to get snowy Easterly or Northerly what is more likely or could we get both or we could end up mild side.

All of the above.  However, it’s looking like a favourably cold response is n the offing.  

BFTP

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
38 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

That’s surprising given your location . 

Of course aim high . It would be great  to see a 5 star set up.

I was living in France in 2018 so I missed out on the amazing depth of cold the UK had during that notable spell .

There’s still a way to go before we know what’s on offer this time . A lot of things have to come together to get the deepest cold source to hit the UK but certainly coldies are due a change of luck.

2018 was a five star epic.

The coldest spell including  days in March  since 1845.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
31 minutes ago, BLAST FROM THE PAST said:

All of the above.  However, it’s looking like a favourably cold response is n the offing.  

BFTP

You may well end up being right, Fred. But, in the meantime, maybe we should keep our excitement in check. 🤔

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Posted
53 minutes ago, Matt Jones said:

It was surprising at the time, in 2018 spell we had it cold  & windy with snow blowing around more than anything but never really got going and in this location we pretty much always avoid anything coming in from the west (storm Emma) so relatively dry here.

We had the blowy snow in Manc all the time and  I thought that was that. Drove home from work one night and saw some cloud drifting over the pennines and we had a 2 hour blizzard! Only time I remember powder snow in Manchester

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mushymanrob said:

Sorry but i disagree with that.

Since 1958 when SSWs were first recorded there have been 13 SSWs in February, only 3 were not followed up by some cold Wintry event. 2018 and 2013 were extreme examples, most post SSW events in Spring were short sharp events.
Cold spells in Spring are common, but the data suggests that a SSW Spring is likely to produce a more severe spell than a non SSW Spring with "normal" cold.

I used the SSW database and Bonacina snow database alongside archive charts for this research.

Thank you for bringing this to my attention and correcting my mistake. It's great to see that you have conducted your own research and have a better understanding of the topic. Cheers for sharing your findings and you don't need to apologise, we live in a democracy after all (I think)

• Like 9

Posted
1 hour ago, nick sussex said:

That’s surprising given your location . 

Of course aim high . It would be great  to see a 5 star set up.

I was living in France in 2018 so I missed out on the amazing depth of cold the UK had during that notable spell .

There’s still a way to go before we know what’s on offer this time . A lot of things have to come together to get the deepest cold source to hit the UK but certainly coldies are due a change of luck.

Nick, much appreciate your analysis (along with many other learned folks on this thread), BUT, when you use the following I am concerned, you're using a new analysis method. 

change of luck.

/QUOTE

Are you using luck in your forecasting system now?

Of course we have a long way to go, given our experience this winter, so a lot of alignment needed.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Dorsetbred said:

Nick, much appreciate your analysis (along with many other learned folks on this thread), BUT, when you use the following I am concerned, you're using a new analysis method. 

change of luck.

/QUOTE

Are you using luck in your forecasting system now?

Of course we have a long way to go, given our experience this winter, so a lot of alignment needed.

Very funny ! Of course luck doesn’t come into it . We are mere bystanders to what’s delivered .

In terms of the outputs so far .

The UKMO looks the most promising at upto day 7.

The GFS does look like its beginning to feel the SSW love but well into FI .

The GEM is in the naughty corner at day ten . Yuk !

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted

The GFS Op may not look great this run but no doubt we’ll get wild swings, there are plenty of GEFS on the 06z showing cold weather starting at around day 9/10, I have a feeling we may go colder early than expected - the UKMO looks interesting.

Lets see if the ENS upgrade again 👌

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Perhaps the longer Range modelling is begi ning to  factor in  possible ssw effects The Meto have an interesting tease about the risk of widespread wintry conditions as we enter March in their latest 15 to 30 dayer.

Edited by Chesil View
  • Like 3