Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Into February

damianslaw
Message added by Paul,

Please keep your posts to discussing the model output in this thread, and for more general winter weather chat please use the winter chat, moans and ramps thread.

The model highlights thread is also available for a more concise view of the model discussions. 

Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and dry, or very cold. See my profile for model trivia
10 minutes ago, Vikos said:

Could contain: Plot, Chart

full reversal 

I googled "FNMOC-EFS" which is one of the outputs shown on that plot, and found that it is basically NAVGEM ensembles, which I didn't know existed!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Insightful 5

Posted
6 hours ago, minus10 said:

Noticeable that the ens mean for 0z Ecm, Gfs and Gem is heading down back towards the LT mean ...admitadly from a fairly high point...will be looking to see if that trend continues..

Could contain: Plot, Chart

ens_image-2023-02-09T102332_394.thumb.png.754d01d50f8834edea40d50f2df0a198.png

Could contain: Chart, Plot

..at least its a start...maybe...

I know these are a run or two out of date now, but it's notable how dry they are too... The more unsettled spell starting on the 13th seems to have faded into a slight drizzle.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
59 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Indeed, it is Fred. But what follows is hardly a foregone conclusion... Let's contrast the SSW of 2018 with that of 2019: It's far from simple.

Anyway, Fred, you've been forecasting blizzards every month since Xmas -- 2002!😁

So he built the garden path we are all being led up😜

• Like 6

Posted
4 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

GFS looks a corker to me - reversal a constant in the entire extended. Exceptionally weak displaced vortex at 384.

Could contain: Spiral, Grenade, Weapon, AmmunitionCould contain: Spiral, Grenade, Weapon, Ammunition, Plot, ChartCould contain: Spiral, Plot, Chart, Grenade, Weapon, AmmunitionCould contain: Spiral, Grenade, Weapon, Ammunition 

I’m more thinking with regards the trop / effects on the ground!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow in winter,warm sun in summer!!!!

Nothing in current output to suggest anything cold rest of Feb. Still looking dry in South, hopefully not a shape of things to come as been on the whole a fairly dry winter overall in South 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot summers; frigid winters; golden fall; bright spring
10 minutes ago, BLAST FROM THE PAST said:

Pete, I’m talking about SSW, and what I think may be the result of it….which I posted on 2nd Jan.  BTW I joined in 2005………..

BFTP

Hi Fred, think that was a tongue in cheek comment from Pete. FWIW I agree with your March prognosis as a 50/50 Possibility, cheers.

Edited by Bobd29
Not meant
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme cold & snow

Another appalling set of ENS coming out, not even any overnight inversion frosts now 🤮

Could contain: ChartCould contain: Electronics, Chart

Edited by Purga

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰
1 hour ago, mushymanrob said:

Im must be missing something here... because the MJO didnt orbit in Phase 2, it was in the COD. In phase 3 it peaked on the 29th jan, suggesting that with the lag on 10 - 12 days  (according to Grampian Weather) means that those phase 3 composites with high over Greenland should be seen now, not in another 2 weeks time... What am i misunderstanding?

Could contain: Plot, Chart, CAD Diagram, Diagram

Sometimes the transition into the associated composite patterns takes a bit longer to come to fruition (can also be a bit quicker) and with the corresponding cyclone developments in the Indian Ocean which are the phase 2 and 3 locations definitely suggests to me that it is indeed those phases rather than the 4-8 phase patterns which will be a focus following the blocking development

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
29 minutes ago, BLAST FROM THE PAST said:

Pete, I’m talking about SSW, and what I think may be the resultant synoptic set up of it….which I posted on 2nd Jan and holds still.  BTW I joined in 2004/5………..we’ll leave it at that 

BFTP

Entirely tongue-in-cheek Fred... So, no need to get all tetchy: No one knows what the weather will be doing in eight weeks' time. Not even those who've spent years learning the subject?🤔

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun in summer, snow in winter, wind in Autumn and rainbows in the spring!
24 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

As you go deeper into February you start to need deeper cold (cold uppers) to achieve a cold spell. By the latter part of Feb the solar input is about as potent as it is during mid October.

But waters around UK are cooler 

• Like 3
  • Insightful 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Nature

People are hoping the SSW imprints favourably on the trop possibly with a Greeny high. Well, we had one in December and most people didn’t see a flake. Hopefully if it occurs we all might get some more action. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but the prevailing wind!
12 minutes ago, Uncertainty said:

We’re still a good week or so for anything of interest trop chart wise. The reversal is still nearly a week away and the mjo whilst propagating is still in the +NAO phases.

However, the 0z eps chucked a curveball with an ahead of schedule FI dominated by MAR and -NAO types

Could contain: Comics, Book, Publication, Person

The latest GEPS is also sort of flirting with the idea

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Person, Head, Face

This is quite a new signal, the extended range has been dominated by +NAO for a while now. The GEFS are less keen but the odd member really goes for an Atlantic ridge.

It’ll be v interesting to see where the ec46 takes the 0z eps signal. Any high lat blocking was previously progged for early March so we will need to examine the week 3 and 4 signal closely to see if there’s been a change.

For the  end w2 changes, Less time in phase 4 seems the more likely reason rather than a QTR but certainly the weakening zonal winds do allow for such mjo effects to take hold…

FWIW, I think the 46 will go more blocked in weeks 3 and 4. 

The cfs and JMA weeklies are heading that way.

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Graphics, Art, Rainforest, Vegetation, Tree, Plant, Outdoors, Diagram

Weeks 3 and 4 JMA weeklies

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted
44 minutes ago, Ladyofthestorm said:

But waters around UK are cooler 

True, but if you are stuck under high pressure (very slack winds) and looking for an inversion to form, then the sea temperature is not going to have much impact beyond the coasts.

• Like 3
  • Insightful 2