Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Into February

damianslaw
Message added by Paul,

Please keep your posts to discussing the model output in this thread, and for more general winter weather chat please use the winter chat, moans and ramps thread.

The model highlights thread is also available for a more concise view of the model discussions. 

Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mild, sunny winters/stormy, snowy winters and warm, dry summers

GEFS, please don't let us down again. Could contain: Text

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
1 hour ago, minus10 said:

Scand trough because of its position usually allows for better advection or movement of polar maritime air and sometimes polar air over us...while at the same time pairing with an atlantic ridge reinforces that air movement...disturbances in the flow could enhance precipitation which if cold enough could result in snow... especially in the north...depending on how potent the whole of uk could see wintery precipitation..late winter/early spring troughs can be more meaningful for cold as sea temps are at their lowest..hope that helps...

Yep, that's why I'm not getting excited, December all over again. Still might get luckier this time perhaps.

• Like 3

Posted
11 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

Yep, that's why I'm not getting excited, December all over again. Still might get luckier this time perhaps.

Given we're at the end of Winter and not the start, one assumes there is a lot more cold air to tap into?

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters, hot summers
Just now, mountain shadow said:

Given we're at the end of Winter and not the start, one assumes there is a lot more cold air to tap into?

I would say we are still middle of winter… 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
6 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

That is true, but I'm still right down on the SE coast. NE miss here, N normally wishbones away to my east. Still you never know where the troughs will be, hopefully more action with this one, if indeed the low ends up to our ne.

Posted
Just now, mushymanrob said:

We are not, this is a meteorological site and the meteorological Winter end on February 28th.

agreed!

Posted
7 minutes ago, mushymanrob said:

We are not, this is a meteorological site and the meteorological Winter end on February 28th.

Although on average March, particularly the first half, is on long term averages not much different temperature-wise to the start of winter (early and mid December), so all in all, the first half of March often brings a similar amount of cold weather to early and mid December.  Whereas when you reach the second half of March average temperatures do on average begin to increase for spring, then on average it gradually gets warmer as time passes through April, May and into June.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm
1 hour ago, Jacob said:

GEFS, please don't let us down again. Could contain: Text

No garden path this time.  It’s all about watching it unfold and the timing.  I’m a betting man, and I believe even if it’s a displacement, it will fall in the right location.  

BFTP

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

Cotinuing signals of the higher pressure retrogressing to Greenland which fits the lagged phase 2 + phase 3 of MJO 

20230209-152214.png 20230120-192049.png

20230120-192057.png

223875c4-0f08-46cb-a2a6-db9d6fb9a1a1.gif

And as I was discussing there has indeed been more cyclone developments in the Indian Ocean 😀

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Insightful 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm
1 hour ago, Ed Stone said:

Which sounds like a 'garden path' to me, Fred!👍

How is it a garden path Pete?, the SSW is now  very much expected….

BFTP

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
43 minutes ago, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

Cotinuing signals of the higher pressure retrogressing to Greenland which fits the lagged phase 2 + phase 3 of MJO 

20230209-152214.png 20230120-192049.png

20230120-192057.png

223875c4-0f08-46cb-a2a6-db9d6fb9a1a1.gif

And as I was discussing there has indeed been more cyclone developments in the Indian Ocean 😀

Im must be missing something here... because the MJO didnt orbit in Phase 2, it was in the COD. In phase 3 it peaked on the 29th jan, suggesting that with the lag on 10 - 12 days  (according to Grampian Weather) means that those phase 3 composites with high over Greenland should be seen now, not in another 2 weeks time... What am i misunderstanding?

Could contain: Plot, Chart, CAD Diagram, Diagram

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
1 minute ago, mushymanrob said:

Im must be missing something here... because the MJO didnt orbit in Phase 2, it was in the COD. In phase 3 it peaked on the 29th jan, suggesting that with the lag on 10 - 12 days  (according to Grampian Weather) means that those phase 3 composites with high over Greenland should be seen now, not in another 2 weeks time... What am i misunderstanding?

Could contain: Plot, Chart, CAD Diagram, Diagram

Clearly, you haven't yet 'smelled the coffee', Rob!😁

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters, hot summers

Could contain: Plot, Chart

full reversal 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2