Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Into February

damianslaw
Message added by Paul,

Please keep your posts to discussing the model output in this thread, and for more general winter weather chat please use the winter chat, moans and ramps thread.

The model highlights thread is also available for a more concise view of the model discussions. 

Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters, hot summers
6 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

Yes, good to see some of these charts back at the crucial moment.  Now the ssw is in ECM range, will give us a better idea of how it is unfolding.

GEFS SSW percent back up to 77% on the 0z.  GFS op shows a slightly stronger warming than the last two runs, I think.  

I find everything I need except a reversal at 10hpa 🥴

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Plot, Chart, Spiral

Edited by Vikos
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and dry, or very cold. See my profile for model trivia
11 hours ago, RainAllNight said:

The low height anomaly doesn't stick around to our west for too long on the ensemble means this afternoon:

Could contain: Person, Ct Scan, Plot, Chart

The trend is your friend if you want to stay dry...

Could contain: Person, Plot, Chart

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
15 minutes ago, andymusic said:

Sounds like we are on a promise then - thunderbirds are go lol

On a promise for what, yes it looks like a SSW will happen, but what it will do down here weather wise is not set in stone. We'll see once it's happened whether it works for us or not this time.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
2 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

On a promise for what, yes it looks like a SSW will happen, but what it will do down here weather wise is not set in stone. We'll see once it's happened whether it works for us or not this time.

It would be fitting for this winter that we get landed with a west based -NAO 😅

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and sun. Anything extreme.
17 hours ago, jmp223 said:

Really good article on SSWs here, I found it to be a really informative read.

polar-vortex-winter-seasonal-weather-for
WWW.SEVERE-WEATHER.EU

A new and even stronger Stratospheric Warming is coming for the Polar Vortex, potentially impacting the weather in the United States, Canada and Europe

Thank you very much for posting that pointer to a beautiful explanation of SSW - I learned a lot from it.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
4 minutes ago, MP-R said:

It would be fitting for this winter that we get landed with a west based -NAO 😅

Who knows. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.
Just now, alexisj9 said:

Indeed.What a strong ssw will do though is weaken the polar jet and make it more undulating.

High pressure getting into Arctic latitudes forcing deeper troughing sending cold air south.

We just need the good fortune to be on the cold side of the trough.

The quicker the troposphere response the better now as we head towards Spring.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

The GEFS mean has certainly backed away from a technical SSW albeit i’d still imagine a SSW is more likely than not at the moment. Not quite the done deal it had perhaps seemed, though. 
Could contain: Plot, Chart

Edited by Met4Cast

Posted
43 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

oh to have a crystal ssw ball or a time machine to see what will happen - all speculative at the mo I know - but we're in the game with a chance to see who knows - maybe another 2018 feb/March - 10 foot blown drifts around these parts and red warnings from the met office - can't do much better than that!

• Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, andymusic said:

oh to have a crystal ssw ball or a time machine to see what will happen - all speculative at the mo I know - but we're in the game with a chance to see who knows - maybe another 2018 feb/March - 10 foot blown drifts around these parts and red warnings from the met office - can't do much better than that!

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Line Chart

Not with charts like this we aren't keeps going we will be talking about how February broke current CET Records. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days
2 minutes ago, Nick2373 said:

Not with charts like this we aren't keeps going we will be talking about how February broke current CET Records. 

Tbh- the ensemble uk plots- especially @850 hpa- are in the que atm... waiting to see what bargains are still in the store... the flip or not.. could be shocking at short range over the nxt 5 days.. as input starts absorbing!!

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

Posted

Well there’s not much excitement in the next 10 days that’s for sure, possible Atlantic inroads later in week two which in February do seem to be much more potent in the 850s department with a colder Atlantic at the back end of winter , so any PM systems could well have a wintery flavour into week 3 of Feb. 

We still wait for any signs of SSW fallout in the NH,  I imagine by the weekend some crazy ones may start appearing at the back end of the GEFS/EPS. 
It could be a long month for coldies, it feels like it’s been a long winter since that early Dec cold!! 

March being colder than Feb certainly looks a possibility at this stage, long way to go though. 

Could contain: Chart

Could contain: Chart, Plot

Edited by Ali1977
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal and interesting weather including summer storms and winter snow

Almost....eh...🙄

Could contain: Outdoors, Nature, Plot, Chart

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Nature, Art

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme cold & snow

Warming up and slowing down.

Start of 06z                                                         End of 06z

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Map, NatureCould contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Nature, Pattern

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Accessories, Pattern, Spiral, Hurricane, Storm  Could contain: Outdoors, Nature, Accessories, Hurricane, Storm, Pattern

NH profile is improving to match

Could contain: Pattern, Accessories, Fractal, Ornament, Modern Art, Art, Outdoors

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but boringly hot
1 hour ago, Nick2373 said:

Didn't you have this same conversation at beginning of Jan, how'd that conversation end? 5.2C was hardly record breaking for Jan & prob best to use 2m temps when discussing CET.

Feb certainly looking to be settled, dry & not surprisingly, warmer than chilly W/NWs and as being touted dipping as we head towards March, though the control certainly on the extreme both above & below

Could contain: Number, Text, Symbol, Scoreboard

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Frost and snow. A quiet autumn day is also good.
18 hours ago, Mike Poole said:

Thanks, looks interesting, will have a read.  Just looking at the conclusions, my gut reaction is they look maybe slightly over-confident.  The reason I think that is that in recent years the QBO has been behaving somewhat erratically - which is a new phenomenon.  I’m not sure how this plays with frequency of SSWs (currently about 6 per decade) but the QBO is an important factor, so an impact is, I would have thought, possible.  

Worth saying that we know SSW events are often led by tropospheric patterns and we know that tropospheric patterns are forecast to be impacted by CC. eg northerly drift of the Hadley Cell with particular impacts on Europe. If trop patterns are shifting then SSW precursors are shifting in probability. I haven't read the research - but would want to know which variables were being looked at.

• Insightful 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days
43 minutes ago, TwisterGirl81 said:

Looking lovely and mild at the end of the GFS 6Z, fingers crossed it's onto a warming trend for the start of spring.  Good news for those of us who don't have money to burn on energy 🙂 

Spring is in the air 🌷 ☀️

I don’t discount your ‘Wanting ‘ .. it’s quite feasible that we could end up in a large arc block.. and have a drag on equatorial based winds!.. late February!.. Although both cold bias- and evolving progs... I think it’s unlikely!!. 

• Like 1
  • Insightful 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters, hot summers

Looks like a split

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Modern Art, Art, Outdoors

even better on wetterzentrale chart (can’t post right now)

• Like 3

Posted
50 minutes ago, geordiekev said:

Didn't you have this same conversation at beginning of Jan, how'd that conversation end? 5.2C was hardly record breaking for Jan & prob best to use 2m temps when discussing CET.

Feb certainly looking to be settled, dry & not surprisingly, warmer than chilly W/NWs and as being touted dipping as we head towards March, though the control certainly on the extreme both above & below

Could contain: Number, Text, Symbol, Scoreboard

So Jan fished 1.26c above average yes not recorded breaking but above average that, so in reality it should have been lower for the month but it weren't was it.             

Anyway moving on to the 06z the trend is back from the 15th onwards for something of a showery set up with winds being dragged up from the South West. Lets hope the SSW Can deliver sometime soon days getting warmer and longer spring around the corner.

Edited by Nick2373