Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Into February

damianslaw
Message added by Paul,

Please keep your posts to discussing the model output in this thread, and for more general winter weather chat please use the winter chat, moans and ramps thread.

The model highlights thread is also available for a more concise view of the model discussions. 

Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm
21 minutes ago, blizzard81 said:

How can you be so certain of that happening? Lol

It’s coming….look backs/similar solar behaviour etc.  March to be a humdinger….at least it’s fun to ‘anticipate’

BFTP

Edited by BLAST FROM THE PAST
  • Like 7

Posted
5 minutes ago, BLAST FROM THE PAST said:

It’s coming….look backs/similar solar behaviour etc.  March to be a humdinger….at least it’s fun to ‘anticipate’

BFTP

Thinking March 2013 with your reference to solar behaviour?

• Like 1

Posted

Very quiet in this thread in recent days, echoing how quiet the weather is overall. No changes in the forseeable, high pressure meandering around to our south as it has for long periods over the last 2 years, deflecting low pressure and fronts well to our north, and giving the south glancing blows. Tonight a good example, a cold front sweeping through the UK, yet by the time it reaches the midlands it will be no more than a band of thick cloud with light drizzle. Despite a strong PV, I'm surprised we are not seeing cyclogensesis at present, all that cold air to the NW should be mixing with warmer atlantic air and creating strong low pressure systems - alas the blocking is mighty strong and set to remain in situ through middle of the month it seems.

What happens later this month all conjecture at this stage, anyone expecting the models to suddenly show a change in the synoptics in the longer term output caused by any anticipated effects of expected Stratospheric warming, should really look away from the models for a good week at the earliest, as any possible effects will only start to show up once said event happens, and with time lag, it won't be until well into the third week of Feb we can speculate with any confidence likely outcomes. This is not a statement to say expect sudden changes, just that should they occur, the models won't hone in on them properly until at least 2 weeks time if not longer..

In the meantime - might be a time to take a step back from model watching if you are wanting any marked shift in current state of affairs, looking at every model run will only cause frustration if that's what you are looking for, sometimes the long waiting game needs to be played out... 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters, hot summers

The SSW probability in GEFS is: 94%
weatheriscool (.com)

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, Vikos said:

weatheriscool (.com)

Eps mean is reversed T200-T300 on the 12z. The longest period yet and certainly no indication that it wouldn’t follow the gfs op tend of a second reversal to follow the slight recovery to positive post day 14/15

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Insightful 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, Vikos said:

weatheriscool (.com)

It's just a pity that it's not a split being shown. With the MJO being favourable for blocking we could have been on to something special.  By special I mean something akin to March 2013 or 2018.

Edited by Bricriu

Posted
5 minutes ago, Bricriu said:

It's just a pity that it's not a split being shown. With the MJO being favourable for blocking we could have been on to something special.  By special I mean something akin to March 2013 or 2018.

It has been suggested perhaps something more akin to March 2008 could be a possibility which had some cold/snowy weather, but nothing on the scale of 2013 and 2018.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Polar lows are the dream
13 minutes ago, Don said:

It has been suggested perhaps something more akin to March 2008 could be a possibility which had some cold/snowy weather, but nothing on the scale of 2013 and 2018.

I’m praying for March 2006.

I recommend treating yourself to a scroll through that month’s charts on the archives if you want to remember what low heights and cold 850s look like 🤤

• Like 2

Posted
17 minutes ago, Stravaiger said:

I’m praying for March 2006.

I recommend treating yourself to a scroll through that month’s charts on the archives if you want to remember what low heights and cold 850s look like 🤤

Shame it delivered very little IMBY, only remember seeing a brief flurry!

• Like 1

Posted
25 minutes ago, Bricriu said:

The cold spell in January 2013 was quite potent and lasted for two weeks, and that followed an SSW I believe.  The late Feb / early March 2018 cold spell was an intense and potent although not particularly long lived cold spell as it was for little more than a week, although it did return for a time in mid March 2018.

Further back, late February 2005 saw a great cold synoptical setup develop with a reasonably long lived easterly spell (a fair bit more long lived than the late Feb / early March 2018 easterly) and the cold synoptics lasted into early March, although the weather that the UK experienced on the ground never really quite lived up to its full potential for the synoptics that developed.  The synoptics from around Feb 20th to early March 2005 look great on paper to get the cold air in to the UK, but at that time Central Europe was not particularly cold, and so the cold air that reached the UK was moderated somewhat, and although snow fell at times in many parts of the country including to lower levels, any lasting snow cover was mostly restricted to areas with elevation.  If central and eastern Europe had have been properly cold at that time, the late February 2005 easterly spell really could have been as potent for cold as the one in late Feb 2018 but more long lived as well.  

The late February 2005 easterly spell developed after what had been a quite a mild winter up to that point with not much going on from a cold perspective, and showed that it was still possible to get a pattern change late in the winter to something favourable, although I am not sure if there was an SSW shortly before it developed.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, North-Easterly Blast said:

The late February 2005 easterly spell developed after what had been a quite a mild winter up to that point with not much going on from a cold perspective, and showed that it was still possible to get a pattern change late in the winter to something favourable, although I am not sure if there was an SSW shortly before it developed.

Yes, I would be interested to know if there was an SSW during winter 04/05, perhaps around late January, leading to a big pattern change later in February?  Can anyone shed any light?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle
10 minutes ago, MATT TATTOO said:

Like I said mate...your a Legend already in my eyes. Sometimes it's nice to have 1 best friend in life...all the others tend to come and go...I for instance have none...and tbh I know longer care. 

I don't know how you do it but it seems to be working, optimism (well I imagine you can't be all the time) can be great and I guess that's the view I should start having on life. I say bring on the SSW and bring on the effects on the Troposphere. I have to say though it is actually looking quite good and not to mention the MJO, lining up quite nicely.

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but boringly hot
54 minutes ago, Eagle Eye said:

I'd just like to publicly thank this forum and especially this thread over the last few months. I don't often talk about my mental state much on here but it's been really low up until the last few days where I seem to have got better with a lot of things clicking with me and I've gotten even closer with my best friend Georgie and got her to open up to me plus I've joined a severe weather forecasting group. Let me tell you without the confidence I've gained from feeling appreciated here I wouldn't have been able to do either of those things. Let alone the fact that at times I felt so down that if I hadn't had felt appreciated on here then I don't know if I would be here. I've finally accepted that perhaps only a few people 'appreciate me' as such and there's only one in real life that I feel cares about me and that's my best friend that I mentioned earlier. Instead of getting annoyed or sad like I did over the middle of Winter, I will cherish her and will spend as much time caring about her as she does me. We're going to become great friends 😀. So I'd like to thank you all for being so nice to me when I was learning new stuff and got stuff wrong and for sticking with me when I was really need when I joined. Here's to a good trop response to the SSW 😇.  Then hopefully (in my case) a stormy summer, like what the 80's and 90's apparently used to be like (only been around since 2007, the song umbrella came out the year I was born I think) with my GCSE's finishing late June, I can storm chase (around my summer job should I get one) and have a blast and get ready to hunker down to hopefully my first El Nino winter on here.

Is always good to see new members each new Winter season, for those like myself, who hibernate in the Summers & always look forward to the Autumnal awakening.

But have to give you massive credit young man, for doing the hard work that some of us struggle with & explaining the more challenging background intricacies in a digestible fashion.

I do hope that for yourself & all of us that the hopeful SSW sheds a bit more light on the rarity that is our weather. Keep up the good work & ensure you get out in the stuff too, no matter the weather, nature is a good friend especially in Winter.

Yesterday's 35 dayer is literally all over the place in terms of temps but hopefully another learning phase incoming 👍

Could contain: Plot, Chart

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days
5 minutes ago, tight isobar said:

Great post 👍. The nao/ AO precursors, are bound by - relevances- of Pacific ridge placement. I’ll reinvigorate, the notions of circulation blocking forms. This is cat. N mouse bounding!.. with IO(Indian ocean phasing) ... And rotate Pacific punching,It’s circumstances of race!. A fare bound block of even MLB- will/ could be a trigger point for polar dripping! .. and NOW this could be the Madden j- oscillating stage!.. as orbital syncs.. start settling with AM- and upper layers finishing!!! - take the countoures at face value.. and stale.. and fresh data!🤘

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Sphere

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Nature, Outdoors

Could contain: Plot, Chart

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Nature, Outdoors

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Text, Outdoors, Nature

A cross polar split ..is coming!!!

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, snow, ice. Very hot or very cold.
1 hour ago, Don said:

Yes, I would be interested to know if there was an SSW during winter 04/05, perhaps around late January, leading to a big pattern change later in February?  Can anyone shed any light?

No, there wasn't. 2004/2005 was even the only winter from 1999-2010 without an official SSW.

But nevertheless, that pattern brought a memorable snow event to Holland early March.

• Thanks 2

Posted

So  everyone looking for cold and snow  stop doing this until about last week of Feb, watching the model outlook  that is!! As it is  after that date that the  effects of the SSW will starting showing up in the models,thsts from that video  from the Met and all the models they use. 

Didn't rule out another beast incoming could get interesting end of feb into March. 

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1