Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Into February

Message added by Paul,

Please keep your posts to discussing the model output in this thread, and for more general winter weather chat please use the winter chat, moans and ramps thread.

The model highlights thread is also available for a more concise view of the model discussions. 

Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold
53 minutes ago, s4lancia said:

Never take a chart in isolation, but this one raises an eyebrow…

7C744F01-5870-45E5-A03D-34866B5E133F.thumb.gif.b7eb3225cc951d338e4c887669b39cdc.gif

And this one most definitely raises both!…

6E32910A-2633-4818-B7D9-BF523ED70092.thumb.gif.3ac45828846d113e623cb7b36e014926.gif

That sort of movement upwards at 30mb is often a precursor to much more interesting weather to follow. We will see.

Isn’t it amazing how the temperatures higher up tend to stay below average but on the ground they’re usually above average these days ?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle
2 minutes ago, johnholmes said:

nor can I find the damned article I put somewhere 'safe'.

Have you checked behind the sofa?

• Like 9

Posted
6 hours ago, mushymanrob said:

Im not going to win any popularity points with this post, lol..
I cant see a scandinavian high establishing, and whilst the anomalies under estimated the building high by early feb, it doesnt mean a scandi high is likely IMHO.

As i see it, things are still likely to turn stormy, with unsettled westerlies. With the TPV driving extreme cold out of Northern Canada over the North Atlantic where not only will it phase with TM air, its crossing SSTs with quite a +ive anomaly. imho thats a recipe for cyclogenesis and a stormy, strong jet.

Could contain: Modern Art, Art, Outdoors, Nature

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Person, Outdoors, Nature

It’s trouble when older baselines are used. The Gulf Stream looks warm but actually generally Atlantic SSTs are not that mild the light yellow (below) is 0-1C above average and this is 1979-2000. If we were to use 1991-2020 it would be pretty close to average. I don’t see a compelling signal imo on SSTs alone there’s not really much of a north-south gradient. 

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram

I also have a graph to illustrate nothing unusual latest value +0.3C in North Atlantic in autumn they were extremely mild at one point the anomaly was +1.6C or something silly was record breaking.

Could contain: Chart, Smoke Pipe

Edited by Daniel*
  • Like 2
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.

The UKMO is an interesting option at 168 - it's totally different to the other two which are very similar.

Could contain: Outdoors, Nature, Hurricane, Storm Could contain: Outdoors, Nature, Art Could contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Art, Nature

• Thanks 1

Posted

The high never really goes away on the GFS which is nice for dry, chilly weather at least.👍

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
6 minutes ago, Gowon said:

The high never really goes away on the GFS which is nice for dry, chilly weather at least.👍

And chilly it is at the moment.

• Like 3

Posted
17 minutes ago, Gowon said:

Indeed and when it does go it will be Spring! Looking very likely now that we will have a winter without one named storm! Aside from lack of snow this is remarkable 

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1

Posted
33 minutes ago, Gowon said:

The UKMO is an interesting option at 168 - it's totally different to the other two which are very similar.

Could contain: Outdoors, Nature, Hurricane, Storm Could contain: Outdoors, Nature, Art Could contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Art, Nature

Yes I think we could turn cold very soon after this. 
spacer.png

Posted
1 minute ago, Drifter said:

Yes I think we could turn cold very soon after this. 
spacer.png

Could do, but at least it's another option if it's correct.

Posted

Just staggering that we have an entire run with pretty much no weather, just benign crud,with the exception of Northern Scotland!! 

384 hours of nothing!!

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Cuban Zebra said:

Just staggering that we have an entire run with pretty much no weather, just benign crud,with the exception of Northern Scotland!! 

384 hours of nothing!!

It's useful weather for people that have to work outside though.👍

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross
3 minutes ago, Gowon said:

And down in the soggy south west, we're still drying out with lots of water logged fields around. I welcome anything that isn't wet, warm or cold matters not, merely hoping for dry.

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal and interesting weather including summer storms and winter snow
12 minutes ago, Gowon said:

Yes i have to say that with my exciting weather hat on it is indeed totally dull however with my working outside hat it is just fine...just depends on which hat i am wearing on any particular day

...think 'benign crud' should be a meteorlogical term though....outlook..."there will be prolonged periods of benign crud interspersed with short spells of interesting drizzle" 😅

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

Yes the only positive from the gfs/ukmo 12z runs is the predominantly dry outlook with the high staying around.

It 's remains just too far south to give any chance of some cold off the continent.If anything the trend to move it's centre east towards France means the jet backs more south westerly thus reducing the chances of even the brief colder shots from pm air that will give us a glancing visit early next week.

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, NatureCould contain: Outdoors, Nature, Plot, Chart, Accessories

Our Balkan friends look to do well out of this pattern though if cold is their thing.

I wish i could find something to cheer us coldies up but with this pattern there is very little to shout about- very average temps maybe even milder at times and with the cloud mixing in from the Atlantic even frosts will be very patchy.

• Like 1

Posted
30 minutes ago, Cuban Zebra said:

384 hours of nothing!!

If we can’t get snow then this is good enough.  Who wants wind and rain?

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer
5 hours ago, johnholmes said:

EE, even I am not that daft.

I have a hazy idea of 15-25 days being the time scale?

I remember you doing this, it was probably around 4 years ago I think ? I remember all of us been completly obsessed on it all, chiono is the strat king I think head and shoulders above most 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
45 minutes ago, Cuban Zebra said:

384 hours of nothing!!

Sums up the UK this winter, whilst other countries get extreme weather we get extreme nothingness😂

• Like 4

Posted
58 minutes ago, Cuban Zebra said:

384 hours of nothing!!

If im not getting snow it'll do me, im sure there are many homeowners (storms) and those who want to get out (constant rain) who are happy with 'nothing'😁

Edited by KTtom
  • Like 5

Posted

UKMO is still on it's own - ECM at 120 

Could contain: Art, Outdoors, Accessories

• Thanks 1