Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring 2023 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

reef

Posted
1 hour ago, Snowyowl9 said:

In the last 10 years March 2018 comes 1st for record snowfall for all time..

March 2013 comes second..

March 2023 yes ended in 3 again comes third place already just 1 inch behind 2013..

Might have to wait till March 2028 for another event like it ..😃

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
2 hours ago, Frigid said:

Probably, although march 23 hasn't finished yet and might have a sting in its tail, although probably not where I am.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
14 hours ago, danm said:

Yes agree. We had 6 inches of snow in mid December that lay on the ground with barely any melt for an entire week. Daytime temperatures were often at -3c or -4c, and with it day after day of sparkling sunshine that did nothing to melt the snow due to the time of year. Also, with it being pre-Xmas it was even better as it was very festive. 

Getting a week of lying snow down here is rare. 

December is, by far, the best month to get wintry weather in. You don't have to worry about snow melting in clear sunny skies and it's just a lot more festive feeling.

Dec 2010 is probably the best month I've experienced for this.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Quite a wild night here in the Czech Republic with strong winds and it’s been snowing quite heavily this morning (not settling though)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Updated snow and ice warning

18:00 Today 06:00 Tomorrow

Further snowfall has the potential to cause disruption Saturday evening into Sunday.

What to expect

• Some roads and railways likely to be affected with longer journey times by road, bus and train services
  • Some injuries from slips and falls on icy surfaces
  • Probably some icy patches on some untreated roads, pavements and cycle paths

Reason for update

Snow accumulations have decreased slightly with fewer impacts expected. Parts of northwest England have been removed from the warning where accumulating snow is no longer expected. The start time has also been delayed until early evening.

A band of rain, sleet and snow is expected to move northeastwards on Saturday evening, persisting for part of Saturday night then clearing the north of the warning area on Sunday morning.

The bulk of the snow accumulations likely to be confined to elevations above 200 m, with 1-3 cm possible, whilst 5-10 cm fresh snow is possible above 400 m. Snow is likely to turn to rain before it clears, bringing the onset of thaw, although, during this transition, a brief spell of freezing rain is possible giving icy conditions, mainly over higher ground.

Thaw is less likely across the northern half of Scotland, with lying snow remaining through Sunday.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/warnings-and-advice/uk-warnings#?date=2023-03-11&id=aaa1545d-14a5-4953-a5ae-80d1f40e72d7&details

• Thanks 1

Posted
11 hours ago, Frigid said:

March 23 doesn’t come anywhere near March 2018 or 2013 for that matter.

Yes it has been very cold, but snow has been pitiful where I am.

• Like 1

Posted
21 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

I agree, there was a perfect storm for central / northern areas, IF that low had tracked further north or not existed at all it would have been pretty bog standard, even then places in the sweet spot failed to see laying snow.

Posted
2 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

Yep its been awful here, no snow and a few frosts. But as a country wide cold spell in March with significant amounts of snow, its been five years since we've seen one. You can even say March 2008 was chilly at times, which this month could be quite similar to.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

Enough of this marginal snowfall garbage, bring on spring and warmth. If it can't snow and stick, I'd rather it didn't bother snowing in the first place.

• Like 2

Posted
45 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Ouch sounds like heat dome territory to me, and dry. No thanks in advance for anything plus 35 which is already to hot for me 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: In summer, a decent thunderstorm, and hot weather. In winter, snow or gale
42 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

Enough of this marginal snowfall garbage, bring on spring and warmth. If it can't snow and stick, I'd rather it didn't bother snowing in the first place.

Yes indeed.. this week's snow was good to see but as we go further into March, even less likely to settle.. bring on 20C+ and sunshine

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 hour ago, lassie23 said:

Can’t wait for the plus 20c days, and then the lovely hot weather of 25-30c. Bring it on.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters, warm, early spring, cool, gentle summer, stormy autumn
34 minutes ago, SummerShower said:

Yes indeed.. this week's snow was good to see but as we go further into March, even less likely to settle.. bring on 20C+ and sunshine

17 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Can’t wait for the plus 20c days, and then the lovely hot weather of 25-30c. Bring it on.

Let's not talk about 20c+ yet (let alone 30c)... could we maybe compromise on 16-18c?

• Like 3

Posted
25 minutes ago, CryoraptorA303 said:

Let's not talk about 20c+ yet (let alone 30c)... could we maybe compromise on 16-18c?

Yeah, I’ll be happy with that. But once we move towards late April I start to crave the warmer temps. I don’t like it when it stays in the upper teens until June. 

• Like 2

Posted
29 minutes ago, CryoraptorA303 said:

Perfect.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: In summer, a decent thunderstorm, and hot weather. In winter, snow or gale
33 minutes ago, CryoraptorA303 said:

16-18C is nice if you have calm and clear skies, add any hint of a breeze at that temp though and there's a chill in the air.  

Much better than, say 3C with cold drizzle though admittedly 😃 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters, warm, early spring, cool, gentle summer, stormy autumn
27 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Yeah, I’ll be happy with that. But once we move towards late April I start to crave the warmer temps. I don’t like it when it stays in the upper teens until June. 

Well, the average high in London isn't 20c until June 15th. A period from late April until that date with consistent highs of 20c or more would be abnormally warm. Temperatures consistently in the 20s is summer weather in this country (and quite warm summer weather once you're far enough up north). If you're hoping for spring after mid-April to have average summer conditions, you're going to be disappointed in the majority of years (although increasingly less of them as we go through this century).

24 minutes ago, SummerShower said:

16-18C is nice if you have calm and clear skies, add any hint of a breeze at that temp though and there's a chill in the air.  

After about 16c I find it very hard to register any sort of cold at all. Anything above 18c starts to feel really warm to me, and once you're above 22c I'm starting to feel hot. This may just be down to me being unusually sensitive to heat though.

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, CryoraptorA303 said:

Well, the average high in London isn't 20c until June 15th. A period from late April until that date with consistent highs of 20c or more would be abnormally warm. Temperatures consistently in the 20s is summer weather in this country (and quite warm summer weather once you're far enough up north). If you're hoping for spring after mid-April to have average summer conditions, you're going to be disappointed in the majority of years (although increasingly less of them as we go through this century).

After about 16c I find it very hard to register any sort of cold at all. Anything above 18c starts to feel really warm to me, and once you're above 22c I'm starting to feel hot. This may just be down to me being unusually sensitive to heat though.

I never used to be, but right now I'm sensitive to both hot and cold, cause I have trouble regulating my body temperature. One of the joys of ms. Provided I wear layers in winter it's fine, but summer heat is very difficult for me.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

My neck of the woods actually had a decent snow covering on Thursday, so I think we've been one of the best areas for snow this time round. I love watching snowflakes gracefully fall to the ground as well as that sound and feel of walking in snow. I have enjoyed the recent cold spell and it was nice to have something different after weeks of the weather doing next to nothing.

However, now that we are approaching mid March my interest in winter is waning and I am starting to think about that first 20°C day of the year. It looks like the rest of March is going to provide us with some much needed rainfall. I would happily take that, alongside a gradual rise in temps. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
3 hours ago, Summer Sun said:

Lovely 😊 Though settled and warm in the UK sometimes means a wetter and more unsettled summer here in central Europe 

Posted
3 hours ago, SummerShower said:

I agree with 16-19 or even 20 with a breeze or cloudy conditions can feel chilly, especially during the April or early May period while the air is still cooler. 

As nice as it is, temps in the 16-19c bracket still require me to wear a light jacket or sweater if I’m out and about. 

Even during the warm spell of April 2020, there were still some days in between the 21c days where the temp was around 14-17c and felt chilly when the wind was blowing.

The one advantage of the warm days and cool air is it feels fresher, and the blue skies seem much clear and not so murky, compared to when it’s hot and sunny in June to August.

Edited by Sunny76
  • Like 2

Posted
3 hours ago, CryoraptorA303 said:

That’s like me but the opposite way.

My hands usually feel cold on most days when temps are lower than 10c, but I still have that problem in spring or autumn if and when the temps are lower than 19c.

16c for me still feels chilly. We still need the heating on low when it’s 16c, not full blast but the flat never really feels warm until we start reaching and exceeding 18c on a regular basis.

April is usually the last month we have to use the heating in the mornings and evenings, but like 2021 and 2018 we had to use it until late April(2018 it went from cold to hot quite quickly) and in May 2021 we still had to use it as the month was very cold.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

It was a chilly day but we had lots of Spring sunshine earlier which made it feel very pleasant out of the shade. Very nice indeed. 

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Sunny76 said:

That’s like me but the opposite way.

My hands usually feel cold on most days when temps are lower than 10c, but I still have that problem in spring or autumn if and when the temps are lower than 19c.

16c for me still feels chilly. We still need the heating on low when it’s 16c, not full blast but the flat never really feels warm until we start reaching and exceeding 18c on a regular basis.

April is usually the last month we have to use the heating in the mornings and evenings, but like 2021 and 2018 we had to use it until late April(2018 it went from cold to hot quite quickly) and in May 2021 we still had to use it as the month was very cold.

I think I got heat stroke just from reading this :D

I can't tolerate central heating, gives me a migraine. I barely need it with the average winter these days anyway. If it does get cold like in December I just put a jacket on, problem solved. In the last few winters I think I've had the fan on more times than the heating.