Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring 2023 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

reef

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun and snow
Just now, Sunny76 said:

And why do people in my office prefer the rain to snow. What is wrong with those weirdos lol.

Hahaha they are weird!!!

Love snow but missed out this time , 15 miles up the road they had loads grrrrr.  Hate the rain ☔

Posted
15 minutes ago, The real Lomond snowstorm said:

For those who missed out this time, there's always hope....

20160427-snow81.jpg?w=640
BLOG.METOFFICE.GOV.UK

This week many places have seen the type of weather you may usually associate with winter than late April, with wintry showers observed as far south as southern counties...

And yes, there was locally at least 5cm of snow laying for around 24 hours in late April 2016  and I'm 20m above sea level.

Maybe for Scotland but it's really quite rare to see settled snow down here.

I remember one occasion, that being I'm April 2008 and that was all gone by lunchtime as well.

Snow showers certainly do happen, usually in decent convective northerlies/NW airflow, April 21 had plenty such showers.

But settled snow down here that lasts more than a few hours? I'm struggling to think of examples. To be honest there isn't a huge pool to choose from even in March this far south.

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Mandy Orme said:

Hahaha they are weird!!!

Love snow but missed out this time , 15 miles up the road they had loads grrrrr.  Hate the rain ☔

Yeah my mate in Meopham got hammered today and they had snow for 3-4 days back in December.

I will say this though, the cold weather was better in December and January, because the air was drier. 

Now it’s that horrible damp cold, which I can’t stand.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun and snow
1 minute ago, Sunny76 said:

Yeah my mate in Meopham got hammered today and they had snow for 3-4 days back in December.

I will say this though, the cold weather was better in December and January, because the air was drier. 

Now it’s that horrible damp cold, which I can’t stand.

Yeah ,it was colder for us in December and January than now .

This damp wet misty drizzy followed by heavy burst of rain has finished me off today 😂 .Roll on summer 🌞⛱️

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Cold and wet all day here, there was snow not far away but not here unfortunately. The only consolation is the snow in the areas not far away that did get it has mostly melted already thanks to the rain later on today. 

Posted
51 minutes ago, The real Lomond snowstorm said:

For those who missed out this time, there's always hope....

20160427-snow81.jpg?w=640
BLOG.METOFFICE.GOV.UK

This week many places have seen the type of weather you may usually associate with winter than late April, with wintry showers observed as far south as southern counties...

And yes, there was locally at least 5cm of snow laying for around 24 hours in late April 2016  and I'm 20m above sea level.

Remember it well, and 10 days later it was a heatwave.. Spring 2016 was something else 

Posted
1 hour ago, Sunny76 said:

I personally don’t enjoy it when the winter feeling lingers on into April. It’s time for some warmer days by then.

I agree. April for me should be a warmer month or at least a sunny month.

April is a very dry month here (relatively speaking) and is on average the second driest month of the year just fractionally behind May. And significantly drier than July and August. So we tend to get quite a lot of sunny weather, (around the same as June, July and August), even if it is not particularly warm.

Posted
8 hours ago, Daniel* said:

Your posts age like a fine wine. Lol.

Could contain: File

An Amber warning for Pennnines? Not sure your point? Look at the Met 10 day video....even they say this is nothing unusual for March?

Edited by KTtom
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Vile weather here in the Czech Republic too, lots of rain and cloud, it’s been quite chilly for ages but is now 7°C, which actually feels mild. Nice to see my hometown getting some snow yesterday but it was the customary 1cm and didn’t last long. Usual story. Like others have said, winter can sod off now, am over being cold and am craving something a bit warmer and sunnier. Though I have a feeling even the south might see more snow in the coming weeks. Plenty of precipitation, anyway.

Edited by stainesbloke

Posted

Well it looks like the next pattern shift is well underway to a very wet several weeks. Just like after the December cold spell ended.

This does seem quite a theme now ; long dry spells, long wet spells. 

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, KTtom said:

An Amber warning for Pennnines? Not sure your point? Look at the Met 10 day video....even they say this is nothing unusual for March?

I get what they mean, a 30-40cm fall of snow isn't exactly a common occurance at any time, yet alone March even in the pennines.

Looking at the broader context, it's a relatively Snowy spell, albeit not everywhere us benefitting from settled snow, nor us it hanging around for long at all.

@Andy Bown doesn't surprise me, strong SSW and southerly jet. I wouldn't be surprised if March ends up considerably wetter than average, enough that it may lead to a wetter than average Spring even if the rest of spring does somewhat dry up back to a little below

• Like 1

Posted
8 hours ago, Mandy Orme said:

Yeah ,it was colder for us in December and January than now .

This damp wet misty drizzy followed by heavy burst of rain has finished me off today 😂 .Roll on summer 🌞⛱️

And if people start whining when we get our first spell of much deserved 25-28c, I’ll throw them out of the window.

I refer to my cold loving office workers lol.

8 hours ago, Frigid said:

Remember it well, and 10 days later it was a heatwave.. Spring 2016 was something else 

2016 doesn’t stand out in my mind at all for some reason.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Sun

Any warnings for the wind forecast for Monday?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow
2 minutes ago, cobbett said:

According to the BBC app its rain every single day here till the 22nd. Now that is depressing 

Since when has the BBC app been able to successfully predict anything more than 3 hours ahead??

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, matty40s said:

Since when has the BBC app been able to successfully predict anything more than 3 hours ahead??

Well obviously not but i think the general trend is correct for the foreseeable

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal
18 hours ago, Jackski4 said:

anyone else been completely lead up the garden path not by the models but by some of the people posting and ramping in the mad thread? Because me too…

I haven't been led up the garden path because I knew what this spell was going to produce in reality (a slushy mess for a lot of us). But I know what you mean, as I've been fooled by it in the past. Not anymore. I think that thread is in danger of losing any credibility

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
10 hours ago, kold weather said:

Maybe for Scotland but it's really quite rare to see settled snow down here.

I remember one occasion, that being I'm April 2008 and that was all gone by lunchtime as well.

Snow showers certainly do happen, usually in decent convective northerlies/NW airflow, April 21 had plenty such showers.

But settled snow down here that lasts more than a few hours? I'm struggling to think of examples. To be honest there isn't a huge pool to choose from even in March this far south.

Snow in April....yuck. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
1 hour ago, cobbett said:

According to the BBC app its rain every single day here till the 22nd. Now that is depressing 

That's the downside a SSW at this time of year - we'll have some lingering high latitude blocking that pushes the jet stream south and results in a barrage of low pressure systems and cool weather. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal
1 minute ago, danm said:

Snow in April....yuck. 

Exactly. Cold in April is utterly pointless in the UK unless you live on a mountain or on very high ground. Damaging frosts that slow growth and nature, snow that doesn't hang around and most people looking for a bit of warmth on their backs

Fortunately (and I'm probably jinxing next month) it's only really been 2021 that's produced that rubbish in the last few years. We didn't even get any snow where I live apart from an hour or 2 on the Easter Monday. Not that I wanted snow that late anyway

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love heat & thunderstorms, but hate the cold
2 hours ago, Skullzrulerz said:

I really hope that will come off, last summer was lovely 

Edited by Atmogenic
  • Like 4