Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring 2023 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

reef

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Personally don't get the excitement over snow that falls overnight and then melts by mid morning, especially in March. Mid winter would be another thing. But I guess any snow falling for some is nice. 

• Like 3

Posted
26 minutes ago, MJB said:

This will rule a  few people out 

Could contain: Land, Nature, Outdoors, Plot, Adult, Male, Man, Person, Sea, Suit

Tonights snow over England and Wales does get going but soon turns to rain tomorrow morning 

A poor return for such a long chase 

Most of the conurbations will see wet snow or rain according to Aiden.  All the hype and now this 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal, but not too hot in summer.

It's been snowing for a good few hours here but zero accumulation.  It's nice to see some snow at least but with zero lying so far and with milder weather set to return soon it all feels a bit wasted to be honest.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters
1 hour ago, danm said:

We're in March. The slush fest was always likely without some really deep cold air over us. Totally expected, and why i've never been overly enthusiastic about this cold spell. 

Yep, that week in December was wonderful. Thick lying snow, little to no melt for a week, it's the perfect time of year to get snow. 

That week in December worked out really well for us, so this spell was always going to be up against it tbh, and as expected, its just cold rain here...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Amber snow warning issued from 3pm tomorrow to 12:00 Friday

Regions and local authorities affected:

East Midlands

Derbyshire

North East England

• Durham

North West England

• Cheshire East
  • Cumbria
  • Greater Manchester
  • Lancashire

West Midlands

• Staffordshire

Yorkshire & Humber

• North Yorkshire
  • South Yorkshire
  • West Yorkshire

Heavy snow is likely to cause significant disruption on Thursday afternoon and Friday morning

What to expect

• Travel delays on roads, stranding some vehicles and passengers
  • Some delays and cancellations to rail and air travel are likely
  • There is a good chance that some rural communities could become cut off
  • Power cuts are likely and other services, such as mobile phone coverage, may be affected

Snow is expected to develop over northern England on Thursday morning, becoming persistent through the afternoon and overnight into early Friday morning before slowly easing. Residual impacts from snowfall are expected to persist through Friday morning. 10-20 cm of snow is expected to fall quite widely, with some places seeing 30-40 cm. Strong easterly winds are expected to accompany this snow, leading to blizzards and drifting of lying snow.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/warnings-and-advice/uk-warnings#?date=2023-03-09&id=533492f3-1389-4016-b423-da7ab1f213db&details

• Like 1

Posted
4 hours ago, SussexSnowman said:

Snow today, gone today 😂 it was nice surprise for about 3 hours. I hope everyone else who missed out on the white stuff in December have had a good dumping.

Yea I didn't get owt in Decemeber. So that's my lot (1cm) for the next 5 years ...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny, cosy and stormy, cold and frosty, some snow

We had a nice covering this morning. Woke up in West London and travelled on the overground via Hampstead Heath to work in Hackney Wick. The whole ground there was white it was beautiful to see. Lasted a while and the snow was pretty thick at times (gone now of course). Definitely a nice occurrence but now bring on sunshine and some warmer days . . . please ☺️

Posted
24 minutes ago, DAVE_ALLEN said:

Most of the conurbations will see wet snow or rain according to Aiden.  All the hype and now this 

As many of us said though this would end up being rain/sleet at low levels, only a few days ago the forecasters were saying even to low levels, so often gets downgraded.

Posted
42 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

Yea I didn't get owt in Decemeber. So that's my lot (1cm) for the next 5 years ...

Considering you thought you were going to sweet fa 1cms is still better than nothing. Plus I'm surprised it's low as that tbh based on reports I've seen. Here we ended up about 5cms. All going to be gone by tomorrow morning regardless of whether it was 1,5 or 10cms though.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Didn’t see any snow in December and didn’t see any today either. Just a typical wet day here. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow
46 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

Just rain here, snow doesn't exist on the coast anymore so I hope next winter is the mildest on record With storms galore! Just out of spite.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow
1 minute ago, Mapantz said:

The level 3 cold alert for down here is what tickled me.

It was colder last week here.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm-by-day sunny thundery summers , short cold snowy winters.
47 minutes ago, Matt Jones said:

As many of us said though this would end up being rain/sleet at low levels, only a few days ago the forecasters were saying even to low levels, so often gets downgraded.

I'd have just preferred a continuation of February's synoptics in all honesty!

There is absolutely no joy in dull, dark and wet when the days are supposed to be getting longer. Makes it seem like we are just backtracking into January!

A thoroughly unwelcome SSW.

Edited by Summer8906
  • Like 3

Posted
2 minutes ago, Summer8906 said:

I'd have just preferred a continuation of February's synoptics in all honesty!

There is absolutely no joy in dull, dark and wet when the days are supposed to be getting longer. Makes it seem like we are just backtracking into January!

A thoroughly unwelcome SSW.

Agree, and I love snow. My fear is the SSW leads us into a cold Spring with HLB causing cold, damp conditions. There is nothing enjoyable about cold in late March and April. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
3 minutes ago, danm said:

Agree, and I love snow. My fear is the SSW leads us into a cold Spring with HLB causing cold, damp conditions. There is nothing enjoyable about cold in late March and April. 

As long as the warm season is reduced into as few months as possible, I’m happy.

Last summer took the biscuit for me, give me unseasonably cold weather any day. 2018 was arduous enough with everything scorched due to a lack of rainfall.

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOWWWWWWWW

anyone else been completely lead up the garden path not by the models but by some of the people posting and ramping in the mad thread? Because me too…

• Thanks 1

Posted
1 minute ago, CreweCold said:

As long as the warm season is reduced into as few months as possible, I’m happy.

Last summer took the biscuit for me, give me unseasonably cold weather any day.

Yeh I get if you're someone that doesn't like warm/hot weather, then even cold and damp is preferable. 

Personally I love cold and snow in winter and hot, sunny weather in summer, with increasing warmth through Spring. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
1 minute ago, Jackski4 said:

anyone else been completely lead up the garden path not by the models but by some of the people posting and ramping in the mad thread? Because me too…

I'm sure it has been infiltrated by Daily Express journalists, do what you do with the Daily Express, and don't read that thread.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
Just now, danm said:

Yeh I get if you're someone that doesn't like warm/hot weather, then even cold and damp is preferable. 

Personally I love cold and snow in winter and hot, sunny weather in summer, with increasing warmth through Spring. 

I can handle it if the rewards are worth it…I.e thunderstorms. The kick in the nads both in 2018 and 2022 is that there were no storms with the heat.

My love of storms is up there with my love of snow.

Posted
1 minute ago, Jackski4 said:

Nope, got used to it over the years so take every post ramping it up and all those fantasy snow charts with a bucket load of salt. Set my expectations low so as not to be disappointed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm-by-day sunny thundery summers , short cold snowy winters.
9 minutes ago, danm said:

The only thing I will say is that bad Marches are not often followed by terrible Aprils, so I do suspect April will be better. The worst Aprils of recent times (1998, 2000, 2012) followed an average-ish, and two good, Marches respectively.

And I love snow myself, but not brief overnight slush followed by dismal gloom.

Edited by Summer8906
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOWWWWWWWW
1 minute ago, lassie23 said:

I'm sure it has been infiltrated by Daily Express journalists, do what you do with the Daily Express, and don't read that thread.

I don’t know what they’re hoping to achieve by ramping so much about snow that hardly ever comes off, year after year I’ve seen it now. It just makes them look uneducated in meteorology.

• Like 1