Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring 2023 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

reef

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
4 minutes ago, Jackski4 said:

I don’t know what they’re hoping to achieve by ramping so much about snow that hardly ever comes off, year after year I’ve seen it now. It just makes them look uneducated in meteorology.

They probably are 😂 It was always going to be a damp squib down south simply because it just isn't cold enough. The trouble with that thread is posters pick the model run they like the most and make their own forecast from it, which has usually got a 5 percent chance of becoming reality.🤦‍♂️ You are better off watching the BBC and that is saying something.😜

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
1 hour ago, sunny_vale said:

We had a nice covering this morning. Woke up in West London and travelled on the overground via Hampstead Heath to work in Hackney Wick. The whole ground there was white it was beautiful to see. Lasted a while and the snow was pretty thick at times (gone now of course). Definitely a nice occurrence but now bring on sunshine and some warmer days . . . please ☺️

Funny how people's take on what constitutes pretty thick etc differs. I travelled into Liverpool St this morning and there really wasn't much at all in East London! 

Edited by DJ Fart

Posted

Another big cold rain warning for tonight! Temps once again should be just that fraction too high for snow.  Stay safe people. We are almost through this severe spell of cold rain weather, with warmer rain moving in over the weekend and into next week.

Edited by Robbie Coldrain
  • Like 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny, cosy and stormy, cold and frosty, some snow
11 minutes ago, DJ Fart said:

Funny how people's take on what constitutes pretty thick etc differs. I travelled into Liverpool St this morning and there really wasn't much at all in East London! 

To be fair, it wasn't in reference to the thickness on the ground; there were just bursts of heavy snow falling with giant snowflakes. It was nice to walk in it as I only woke up to the snow we had in December!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm-by-day sunny thundery summers , short cold snowy winters.

Part model, part moan, so probably best here.

Bit less doom and gloom on the GFS 06z and (so far) the 12z compared to the dire 00z. Still somewhat changeable mid and late next week but higher pressure, close to or even slightly above average.

Edited by Summer8906

Posted
33 minutes ago, TheOgre said:

Snowing non stop all day, yet not a flake on the ground.

Same here, heavy big flakes from the second band moving in but just not settling.

Edited by KTtom

Posted
57 minutes ago, Jackski4 said:

anyone else been completely lead up the garden path not by the models but by some of the people posting and ramping in the mad thread? Because me too…

Never!!! I learned that lesson many years ago!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
1 hour ago, Freeze said:

It was colder last week here.

Absolutely. 

I cannot recall  a more overhyped period of weather?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
29 minutes ago, sunny_vale said:

To be fair, it wasn't in reference to the thickness on the ground; there were just bursts of heavy snow falling with giant snowflakes. It was nice to walk in it as I only woke up to the snow we had in December!

Your area was amazing in December as well! I was in London as it started coming down. By the time I got back to North Essex there was hardly anything. So disappointing!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm-by-day sunny thundery summers , short cold snowy winters.
Just now, Mapantz said:

Absolutely. 

I cannot recall  a more overhyped period of weather?

I think if the snow for tonight had happened, it would have been worthy of note even if it ended tomorrow.

But the cold air was literally restricted to around late afternoon yesterday to early morning today. Essentially the hours of darkness.

• Thanks 1

Posted

Yet to be confirmed but it appears the official Met Office station at Altnaharra has recorded a daily maximum of just -5.1C. The record lowest daily maximum for March is -4.7C recorded during the best from the east in 2018 in Wales. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

Just got home to a bedroom at 6.9c.....even i have shut the window! Will only be using one fan tonight as well!!!

• Like 1

Posted

Just had a 15 minute blast of some of the biggest flakes ive ever seen, just started to settle then stopped. Nice to see tho.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun and snow

Today has been absolutely pants weather wise down here in east sussex ,13 miles from the coast.It has been cold rain and drizzle. I have got soaked twice walking the dog. 

Had a few flakes of snow early this morning but quickly turned to rain and it hasn't stopped since 😭

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Winters

Wow people really do moan in here. I was gonna moan the day before yesterday, because of all of the southern corrections Then today my area goes into the Amber warning ⚠️ so every cloud 

• Like 1

Posted
26 minutes ago, Paul White. said:

Wow people really do moan in here. I was gonna moan the day before yesterday, because of all of the southern corrections Then today my area goes into the Amber warning ⚠️ so every cloud 

To be fair, today has got to be peak moan conditions, so I think on a day like today you've got to expect just a bit. 😉

Dull, damp and grotty, and a failed snow event. Arguably the worst synoptics since mid-January. Grotty weather in the main for the next 5 days, longer on some runs (but not all).

Edited by Summer8906
  • Like 3

Posted
3 hours ago, lassie23 said:

They probably are 😂 It was always going to be a damp squib down south simply because it just isn't cold enough. The trouble with that thread is posters pick the model run they like the most and make their own forecast from it, which has usually got a 5 percent chance of becoming reality.🤦‍♂️ You are better off watching the BBC and that is saying something.😜

One issue I noted last few years is the snow charts are extremely over egged. There are also too many to choose from, a poster picks the best even if its an outlier compared to the rest, post it, then others think its gospel and it spirals out of control from there. The safest option is, if the met arent interested its not happening.  

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms!

Absolute rubbish 🤣 I must be in the only part of the west midland with no snow on paths. I went outside and it was more rain than snow, yet 10 miles up the road and lower down in Telford they have a dusting??!! 

Could contain: Floor, Slate, Path, Walkway, Flooring, Flagstone

• Like 1

Posted
On 04/03/2023 at 07:22, KTtom said:

Must admit it feels like ive been reading about this 'historic' cold spell for 6 weeks now! As usual, as soon as we got within the 168hr mark the cracks started to show. Feels like 6 weeks of my life ill never get back reading all the ramps for what now appears to be a bulk standard northern snow event, not exactly exceptional March weather. 

Your posts age like a fine wine. Lol.

Could contain: File

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny!

I'll take a February 2019 style winter spell of weather over the grotty crap we got today.  1.5°C and heavy rain has got to be the worst weather possible.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun

I wasn't going to post this but since the thread is so depressing at the moment then here you go. The first UV3 I've seen for 2023! It's time to chear up everyone it's going to get a lot better over the next few weeks. 🌞🌡️

Could contain: Text, Calendar

• Thanks 1

Posted

For those who missed out this time, there's always hope....

20160427-snow81.jpg?w=640
BLOG.METOFFICE.GOV.UK

This week many places have seen the type of weather you may usually associate with winter than late April, with wintry showers observed as far south as southern counties...

And yes, there was locally at least 5cm of snow laying for around 24 hours in late April 2016  and I'm 20m above sea level.

Posted

Personally this will go down as a non event type winter, although it was notable for how dry and cold it was, and there were more cold and sunny days.

Very poor on the snow front for my neck of the woods.

Winter 2020/21 gave us a better dumping of snow in the January, and I have to go back as far as February/early March 2018 for the last time I remember seeing heavy snowfall in west London, and settling snow in central London.

Bring on the warmer weather now, as I’m sick and tired of this cold weather, especially when it’s middling and tedious.

11 minutes ago, The real Lomond snowstorm said:

For those who missed out this time, there's always hope....

20160427-snow81.jpg?w=640
BLOG.METOFFICE.GOV.UK

This week many places have seen the type of weather you may usually associate with winter than late April, with wintry showers observed as far south as southern counties...

And yes, there was locally at least 5cm of snow laying for around 24 hours in late April 2016  and I'm 20m above sea level.

No thanks, I would rather a warmer April with a few showery days.

I personally don’t enjoy it when the winter feeling lingers on into April. It’s time for some warmer days by then.

• Like 2

Posted
5 hours ago, Mandy Orme said:

Today has been absolutely pants weather wise down here in east sussex ,13 miles from the coast.It has been cold rain and drizzle. I have got soaked twice walking the dog. 

Had a few flakes of snow early this morning but quickly turned to rain and it hasn't stopped since 😭

And why do people in my office prefer the rain to snow. What is wrong with those weirdos lol.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1