Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Mid Summer Onwards

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Muy Caliente, Muy Soleado
14 minutes ago, mushymanrob said:

According to this chart, the MJO has been in the circle of doom since at least June 10th, so i cannot see any forcing from the MJO - which in itself may be a contributory factor..

image.thumb.png.06118d564292d0196256095e791c0f1d.png

So stuck in circle of doom = summer over

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow
1 hour ago, JayAlmeida said:

Looks like everywhere but the SE will be below average next week again for the 3rd week running looking at the GFS 00z.

Not seen more than a day or so of temps at or above 20c for a while now and thats not changing anytime soon.

Haven't looked at a chart since Monday and nothing has really changed in the meantime.

Feels like groundhog day

Could contain:

Could contain:

Could contain:

Could contain:

It's below average by a few degrees in the south east too, seeing as 24/25c is about average for there in July

Edited by TwisterGirl81

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, thunderstorms, warmth, sun any time!
5 hours ago, MattStoke said:

The first properly summery chart I've seen in weeks. Better savour it. It'll probably be gone on the next run.

gfs_0_378gom9.png

As expected very different looking on the 06z. Didn't even have to check the 00z GEFS ensembles to know that it was pretty much an outlier within the suite. 

Could contain:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Muy Caliente, Muy Soleado

Surely a negative CET is now on the cards for July if the model forecasting for the next 10 days verifies.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days
3 minutes ago, JayAlmeida said:

Surely a negative CET is now on the cards for July if the model forecasting for the next 10 days verifies.

Certainly. A nego- CET is on the books for July as a whole now....however  the AGM is slowly  coming into forcing...don't  write off August  as the monster month......for Heat transfer. Into our latitude..A close eye needed !!

Edited by tight isobar
  • Like 4
  • Insightful 3

Posted
49 minutes ago, JayAlmeida said:

These are the GFS 6z max temps for my area.. you'd think we were in October. You can always add 2-3C on top of those temps but still, a very chilly week ahead.

Screenshot_20230721-131507.thumb.png.961a63225ed9d7270c0fdb6c9a51d4bd.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
2 hours ago, JayAlmeida said:

So stuck in circle of doom = summer over

no ..... it means that theres not enough convective activity to have much if any forcing on our weather pattern.  other factors will override it.

• Like 3

Posted

CFSv2 Temp anomalies. Haven't seen a clearer signal for -ve temperature anomalies on the CFS, this protracted since Spring 2021. They usually have a warm bias, so to see this is quite something. 

Week 1: image.thumb.png.3b54f08426ba0ff65e489f556dc1f588.png

Week 2: image.thumb.png.a6055c2b5bb8cc1f2c520a7f390c0496.png

Week 3: image.thumb.png.4981bbd96beb95791f0fdba5f31ebe09.png

Week 4: image.thumb.png.7db6533a938219aa511d9f933d257bef.png

Granted, they're unreliable the further you go but it's interesting to see nonetheless. If only this was forecast in mid Jan, not July.. 

• Like 5

Posted
1 hour ago, Mike Poole said:

It looks to me this morning as though the signal for high pressure to build over the UK that has been in the EPS as a minority cluster in the day 10-15 period for a few days now, is finally starting to gather some momentum.

Clusters T264+ this morning:

IMG_7129.thumb.png.d5dfe5c1566f500a6c674426033bb443.png

Clusters 1 and 6 show the pattern, but you can argue that clusters 4 and 5 are also a watered down version of the same evolution. 

If we think we know the ultimate direction of travel from the background signals, @Tamara has been very clear about this from the GWO perspective, the question for me is regarding the wave 5 pattern that the Met Office alluded to in their video earlier in the week.  Because it seems to me that in order to follow that direction of travel, something has first got to shake the atmosphere out of this completely stuck pattern we have been in for weeks, and this is the bit I struggle with, as if the whole thing needs some extra ‘nudge’ which might require some randomness to go our way to achieve.  It has seemed that way, anyway.

Rather early season, but perhaps an ex tropical storm might do the job.. I think we are anticipating a strong hurricane season this year, last year it took a long time to get going.. in some years an early active season commences in August.

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 2
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

And as for FI ×2 yes feast your eyes on these charts😂

h500slp-2.webp

Posted
9 minutes ago, ANYWEATHER said:

And as for FI ×2 yes feast your eyes on these charts😂

h500slp-2.webp

FWIW, the Op is at the lower end of the ensembles for this time range.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

CFS yet again showing what is possible into August if summer would just behave! Not always great in the north, but considerably better (not hard) in the south. 

cfs-0-276.png cfs-0-540.png cfs-0-708.png cfs-0-876.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

At last we are beginning to see some pressure rise nudging in to our South.. its a long way to go, painfully long.. we just need to see that trough lifted instead of being maintained... No heat week 1 August... but more average, any heat will be week 2 at the earliest. the only blob of blue in the Northern Hemisphere is still affecting us...
image.thumb.png.d1645166619137f1ac7b1a93e32defc7.png

Edited by mushymanrob
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted
4 hours ago, Mike Poole said:

It looks to me this morning as though the signal for high pressure to build over the UK that has been in the EPS as a minority cluster in the day 10-15 period for a few days now, is finally starting to gather some momentum.

Clusters T264+ this morning:

IMG_7129.thumb.png.d5dfe5c1566f500a6c674426033bb443.png

Clusters 1 and 6 show the pattern, but you can argue that clusters 4 and 5 are also a watered down version of the same evolution. 

If we think we know the ultimate direction of travel from the background signals, @Tamara has been very clear about this from the GWO perspective, the question for me is regarding the wave 5 pattern that the Met Office alluded to in their video earlier in the week.  Because it seems to me that in order to follow that direction of travel, something has first got to shake the atmosphere out of this completely stuck pattern we have been in for weeks, and this is the bit I struggle with, as if the whole thing needs some extra ‘nudge’ which might require some randomness to go our way to achieve.  It has seemed that way, anyway.

I checked the members individually at T360 - to my eyes 23 out of 51 members had high pressure in the ascendancy for most of the UK. Not bad for D15 (6 August) but I feel we've had a few false dawns at that far out, so I'm still on the fence myself... 😁

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

Posted

image.thumb.png.348410a86737905b1c784b4fb4529dc5.png

Day 8 on GFS 

I've not been overly bothered about July as we had June in the bank but it's all  starting to get annoying now.

Don't want this garbage in August.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
1 minute ago, northwestsnow said:

Day 8 on GFS 

I've not been overly bothered about July as we had June in the bank but it's all  starting to get annoying now.

That's disgusting, another weekend as well

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Clear blue skies!
26 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Day 8 on GFS 

It looks like one of those cartoon ghosts, grinning sadistically as it gives the UK the touch of Summer death.

Edited by SunSean

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
6 minutes ago, clark3r said:

O dear I haven’t even looked at the charts but sounds shocking so I won’t even bother

Low after low, disgusting zonal onslaught

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, heat, sunshine, hail. Basically Seasonal.

I'm staying hopefully - there is a weak cluster in the GEFS ensembles at 192-216 hrs that have a weak ridge over the UK.. Hanging onto threads. 

Otherwise, it's the (latter part) of the 1st week of August where it may start to settle down. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal
14 minutes ago, CoventryWeather said:

I'm staying hopefully - there is a weak cluster in the GEFS ensembles at 192-216 hrs that have a weak ridge over the UK.. Hanging onto threads. 

Otherwise, it's the (latter part) of the 1st week of August where it may start to settle down. 

Which August? 🤔

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Just take whatever is offered.
1 hour ago, CoventryWeather said:

The GEFS 12Z ensemble mean doesn't back the op at 384 hours although the mean ridge scenario is slightly retrogressive.   

https://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gefs_cartes.php?code=31&ech=192&carte=0&mode=0

Edited by Addicks Fan 1981