Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Mid Summer Onwards

Paul

Posted
8 hours ago, MP-R said:

Pretty sure 17/18 was a La Niña winter. 🤔

I can't quite remember, but I'm pretty sure an El Nino was forecast before it collapsed?

Edited by Don

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
2 minutes ago, Don said:

I can't quite remember, but I'm pretty sure an El Nino was forecast before it collapsed?

Can't remember if it was forecast or not but @mushymanrob has clarified it was a La Nina in the end. Indeed, the first half of winter was very Nina-esque in terms of tendency to bringing northerlies and northwesterlies, including as early as November.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Hot and Sunny but not opressive

Ironic I know , but Navgem looks ok towards the end 🫠

Could contain:

• Like 2

Posted

It has been a warm year till now, this below average spell is looking quite prolonged. I guess this is overdue but unfortunate for it to occur in height of summer. I wouldn’t feel confident predicting a warm or settled August at this stage. 

IMG_9325.thumb.png.9ac793b0bbebfed75fea1f18c1820b91.png

• Like 2

Posted

Unusually August set to open with a northerly airflow. I suspect on average August is one of the least 'northerly' months of the year.

• Like 5

Posted
16 minutes ago, Mark wheeler said:

Ironic I know , but Navgem looks ok towards the end 🫠

Could contain:

(Small) point of order.

You omitted to call it "the mighty" NAVGEM.

Do better.😁

• Like 1
  • Insightful 2

Posted

Summers officially over we can’t keep saying nexts week going to get better you’ll be in December saying no more lows , this is the worst summer I’ve ever had 2 weeks of sun we had in June since April to July 2 weeks of sun absolutely ridiculous 

we’re on the 6th August on gfs and got a low sitting on us bore off 

Edited by IPredictASnowStorm
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Just take whatever is offered.
23 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

It has been a warm year till now, this below average spell is looking quite prolonged. I guess this is overdue but unfortunate for it to occur in height of summer. I wouldn’t feel confident predicting a warm or settled August at this stage. 

IMG_9325.thumb.png.9ac793b0bbebfed75fea1f18c1820b91.png

I'm not expecting much either to be honest @Daniel*but the research I have done is the unsettled spell we are having may lift in the second half of August.   

Depends if we have more niño like atmospheric responses rather than the niña like response we got at the end of june into july on top of our developing niño.   

Have said it in the previous entries in here that i think the east QBO is causing big problems with the troposphere which is also why we are having these weather implications.  

You could also say that as things stand it does as I've said before feel like a front loaded summer which I think the last time we had one was back in 2017.    

• Thanks 1

Posted

First of all this summer has been absolute mess. I feel sorry for the posters that keep looking for respite. 
The experience posters need to give them some freedom to express their feelings. 
I’ve seen posts about that it’s great we’re getting extra rainfall. Yes it is. I’ve  seen posts that the weather has played impact into peoples holidays and events.  This summer has been poor. The jet stream has directed everything at us. I believe the weather has a way of balancing things out. Last year was the hottest on record. We move forward from this summer and as always look for signs with the models. 

• Like 2

Posted

I wouldn't describe our summer as poor @HathersI would describe it as front loaded and pretty weird in the sense we had our best weather in June and first half of July even though it was unsettled we did have some usable weather especially for industries that suffered last year.   

Back to the model discussing and according to GFS 18Z op it does in the later stages in the run be willing to drop heights towards Greenland by the link below.   

https://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfse_cartes.php?mode=0&ech=204

We have all to play for in August but I do think that the second half as things stand should be alright providing we don't get a niña like forcing we should be alright.    

Posted
1 hour ago, Nick2373 said:

Why you ask? To be honest and quite frank your post have been if anything vague and close to a stopped clock is right twice a day. I’ve noticed that you post with all the big Synoptics and quite a lot of this does that and if this happens then we will see this. When in fact if I recall you looked at the long range and said the opposite to a warm and settled second half of July. The fact is being a professional an amateur or a pro, the weather past seven days is like the lottery. If you can get it right you are quids in. Please feel free to review all my posts regarding the GEFS all the way through July and I think it was pretty much smack on. 

The niña like forcing was a game changer on top of a developing niño, net result unsettled and near average temperatures which in modern day terms would be below average.   

What we have now is higher AAM but it needs to maintain itself rather than the abrupt decline it did at the end of june.   

It'll be interesting with what sort of August we get and personally I am implementing myself some rules to look at the hovmoller charts on a daily basis.   

Posted

After what is going to be one of the wettest, dullest Julys on record GFS backed by pretty much all the models is grim viewing this morning, 4 deep lows pushing over the country, 3 of them pretty deep with only cool, showery periods between them. With such a cold airmass in place and shortening nights wouldn’t surprise me if places further north start seeing frosts soon.

The only consolation is that by the end of the run most of Central Europe and Eastern Europe is in the same boat with a swathe of notably colder air from central south France, through the Alps, Czech Republic, Belarus and into Central Russia. Some of the global models showing that august in this area could be cold and unsettled and again the only cold spot in the entire northern hemisphere colder the average.

With the first half of august looking to be a near total write off I think for the first time in my life the entirety of high summer will have passed with a single warm spell, even 2007 & 2012 had more 25C days and the odd plume. 

• Like 2

Posted

Little point in adding to the agony of poor weather with the 500 mb anomaly charts. I'll post again once they seem to be showing something more promising. Try to remember June! Hard I know, 112 mm in my raingauge so far this month; some fairly warm days so not all total gloom in my view.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

ill just leave this here....

814day.03.gif

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

So much for a surge in AAM shuffling the cards….literally done nothing at all. It’s just low after low piling in. Greece can’t come soon enough for me.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters

6th of August looking more Autumnal than summer with a fairly deep low pressure system slamming into the UK. Will be wet and possibly windy. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

No hope of anything remotely summary in the foreseeable, according to the ECM clusters this morning, T192-T240:

IMG_7146.thumb.png.cc6a8eb658f630b2b0ab533f0a1739bf.png

6 shades of dross!  

T264+ does suggest some respite, probably transient though.

IMG_7147.thumb.png.7e6fcbe799fe3528af69e4715f8dd262.png

I think we have reached a point where summer cannot recover.  Yes, the relaxation of the 5 wave pattern in August will probably lead to some transient fine spells that have been absent in July.  But I think the idea that a longer hot spell can be manufactured from somewhere is probably for the birds.  I commented in late spring that I was looking for the kind of positive reinforcement pattern that is the hallmark of a good summer, and we had that in June, but any such pattern is totally ruined now.  As an example, compare the SST anomalies for today and a month ago, today on left:

IMG_7148.thumb.png.775249cdfaac6334431f828fad752181.pngIMG_7149.thumb.png.d5a0b808e9d7b7be990804500f0bc0ae.png

The anomalously warm area around and southwest of the UK is gone, and as @Tamara noted yesterday, there is now a big warm anomaly further west, where we don’t want it. 

Too late in the season to set up a decent summer pattern from scratch again now, I would say.  Most likely settled weather will return in September, as it often does, but that’s for another day.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

Posted
17 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

I commented in late spring that I was looking for the kind of positive reinforcement pattern that is the hallmark of a good summer, and we had that in June, but any such pattern is totally ruined now

I was musing these patterns.....

SSW Canadian warming in November/December is associated with a later winter Scandinavian high. We had a very strong mid March warming which was in focused in that region. Have we been seeing the synoptics of an epic winter, play out in late Spring and early summer? 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

The wet and windy roller coaster summer seems to be in full force as we parade our way into the final month of summer! Not showing any charts this morning to add insult to injury, but it may be September that may give us a brief splurge of late summer......but in between the rain and showers ,when the the sun does come out it does feel like summer allbeit fleeting.......😊

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, thunderstorms, warmth, sun any time!

A channel low for the second day of August it seems; couldn't make this one up.

I can guarantee for the upcoming winter this wouldn't happen to bring us a dumping of snow. 

Could contain:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1