Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Mid Summer Onwards

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Muy Caliente, Muy Soleado
12 minutes ago, Don said:

Yes, it seems the GFS is serious about this currently!

Saw a few runs like this for the 19th and 20th last weekend on the GFS and now they seem to have resurfaced.

It is encouraging but as we have seen with the upcoming 2 day wonder (which downgraded) reality will usually fall short of expectation this summer.

Would be nice to go out on a high after such a prolonged spell of cool and wet weather.

Could contain:

Edited by JayAlmeida
  • Like 1

Posted
17 minutes ago, JayAlmeida said:

Saw a few runs like this for the 19th and 20th last weekend on the GFS and now they seem to have resurfaced.

It would seem there is a growing chance of a plume around the 19th/20th, but the question is, will it be a brief event, or something more sustained?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!
2 minutes ago, Don said:

It would seem there is a growing chance of a plume around the 19th/20th, but the question is, will it be a brief event, or something more sustained?

Is the GFS sniffing out a potential plume, the GFS does have history and a nose for these kind of scenarios 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

Posted
17 minutes ago, Wold Topper said:

Is the GFS sniffing out a potential plume, the GFS does have history and a nose for these kind of scenarios 🤷‍♂️

It does indeed!

Posted

In true 2023 style this mornings gfs 00Z run turns next weeks plume event into a 24hrs event and any really warm stuff is blasted away before it settles any. Hopefully a cool outlier.

GEM has no plume but a route to much better and lengthy spell of settled weather as high pressure builds directly over the uk. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Cold, Thunder, Heat
48 minutes ago, Alderc 2.0 said:

In true 2023 style this mornings gfs 00Z run turns next weeks plume event into a 24hrs event and any really warm stuff is blasted away before it settles any. Hopefully a cool outlier.

GEM has no plume but a route to much better and lengthy spell of settled weather as high pressure builds directly over the uk. 

I'd take lengthy and settled as I'm going to West Wales for a week on the 23rd. I assume we'll get neither though! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Clear blue skies!
59 minutes ago, WeatherEnthusiast said:

Latest 00GFS is a downgrade from the 18Z as Low Pressure returns. image.thumb.png.4aca69c5ad81635b92c421191ae3b0a4.pngimage.thumb.png.7d7cfb5cbc95d1eebb39ef4b02057dce.png

Uk Summer 2023 groundhog day.

Could contain:

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Just take whatever is offered.
45 minutes ago, GokouD said:

I'd take lengthy and settled as I'm going to West Wales for a week on the 23rd. I assume we'll get neither though! 

Apparently we need to be looking at the GEM 00Z ensemble mean at the moment for general trends according to the NOAA prognostic discussion.   As @Alderc 2.0suggests that the GEM is a sure fire route to settled.   

Posted
16 minutes ago, Addicks Fan 1981 said:

Apparently we need to be looking at the GEM 00Z ensemble mean at the moment for general trends according to the NOAA prognostic discussion.   As @Alderc 2.0suggests that the GEM is a sure fire route to settled.   

Very good GEM 00Z ensemble mean at 384 hours ahead this morning and to be honest I trust the GEM more than the rest of the models at the moment.   

https://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/cmc_cartes.php?code=21&ech=192&carte=0&mode=0

Edited by Addicks Fan 1981

Posted
48 minutes ago, Addicks Fan 1981 said:

Very good GEM 00Z ensemble mean at 384 hours ahead this morning and to be honest I trust the GEM more than the rest of the models at the moment.   

https://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/cmc_cartes.php?code=21&ech=192&carte=0&mode=0

Does anyone have links to the GFS raw data I am interested to understand how the model is currently failing so badly at longer range. The % accuracy rate must be extremely low.  I used to trust GFS but wouldnt trust it now as far as i could throw the server it uses! 

1 hour ago, knocker said:

Interesting to note that it has moved on from coffee 😎

I think GFS had one too many coffees yesterday when producing its outputs! 

Edited by WeatherEnthusiast

Posted

Glad my holiday from Friday is in Thetford. With the north west/south east split developing, East Anglia looks pretty dry bar the odd shower.

Posted
18 minutes ago, Andrea said:

And the plume is gone again... we all know how this is ending 😑

yes in a UK trough. Jet Stream is Powering up again image.thumb.png.417f414db3dbbe01673444ff311fa718.png  This is the 18Z version here - extreme differences in the two model runs: image.thumb.png.235b77531ee948cf0398a841eee8fe0b.png

Edited by WeatherEnthusiast
  • Thanks 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

Glad my holiday from Friday is in Thetford. With the north west/south east split developing, East Anglia looks pretty dry bar the odd shower.

It seems @MattStokethat some here are ignoring the GEFS 00Z ensemble mean today and going on gut instincts from what they've seen off op runs, this run below is exactly in line with the GEM 00Z ensemble mean pretty much.   

https://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gefs_cartes.php?code=31&ech=192&carte=0&mode=0

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and dry, or very cold. See my profile for model trivia

I still see an improving picture for those of us down south at least...

image.thumb.png.33556d6c13bb0b58ef2fec1ab3220a1d.pngimage.thumb.png.348b8b5b8a3916202292978bf80fa694.pngimage.thumb.png.3cdca7a084e39e67e33cf932439558b5.png

• Like 3

Posted
25 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

I never thought I'd ever hear/see the expression 'Glad my holiday is in Thetford'..... 🤣 🤣 🤣 

• Like 7

Posted
6 minutes ago, RainAllNight said:

I still see an improving picture for those of us down south at least...

image.thumb.png.33556d6c13bb0b58ef2fec1ab3220a1d.pngimage.thumb.png.348b8b5b8a3916202292978bf80fa694.pngimage.thumb.png.3cdca7a084e39e67e33cf932439558b5.png

Think we need some input from @Tamarasoon to let us know on background signals as things stand, @MattHhelped us a bit and he did state that AAM did take a nosedive, however not enough to get us basically in the negative category.   

However i think we need to be informed again on things as background signals lead the models.  

Posted

ECM ensemble this morning has mean 1025mb high to our NE by 19th August, which could be a sign of some sort of block emerging ... I usually consider a mean 1030mb to be "banked", but this is as close as we've got since June:

gens-51-1-252.thumb.png.5525217019fe61f6240e400eab6ce6f0.png

• Like 3

Posted

Looks like the ECM clusters are really favouring high pressure over the north of the country towards the end of next week.

Could contain:

Edited by Bats32
  • Like 2

Posted
23 minutes ago, Wimbledon88 said:

I never thought I'd ever hear/see the expression 'Glad my holiday is in Thetford'..... 🤣 🤣 🤣 

Well, it's at Centre Parcs, so we'll have a protective bubble around us 🙃

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, heat, sunshine, hail. Basically Seasonal.
23 minutes ago, Bats32 said:

Looks like the ECM clusters are really favouring high pressure over the north of the country towards the end of next week.

Could contain:

2/3/4 all showing a plume. Think we are in for a warm second half to August. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 hour ago, WeatherEnthusiast said:

yes in a UK trough. Jet Stream is Powering up again image.thumb.png.417f414db3dbbe01673444ff311fa718.png  This is the 18Z version here - extreme differences in the two model runs: image.thumb.png.235b77531ee948cf0398a841eee8fe0b.png

That’s an embarrassing change tbh.