Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Into Winter

Message added by Paul,

This thread is for model related chat and discussion. Please head over to the Winter chat thread if your post isn't about the models. If you'd like some localised weather chat, make sure you've joined your regional group

Please use the insightful reaction on posts you think should be copied to the model highlights thread.

As ever, please keep to the community guidelines, the guiding principles of which are:
Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, snow and more snow!

This is a so weird set up for this time of the year..

Usually you expect to see something like this in February.

• Like 6

Posted
14 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

It strikes me that there are 3 options with this Atlantic lows meet cold pool thing:

1. The lows disrupt to form a train of small lows that can slide and follow a southerly jet and track south.
  2. A deeper low gets stalled on the approach to the cold air, and resulting WAA pumps up heights into Scandi (like ECM 12z).
  3. A deeper low barges straight through and obliterates the cold pool (at least as far as it affects the UK).

The third is the only one that carries the risk of fully unleashing the Atlantic subsequently.

We’ve been watching this for a while now, where’s your money?  

Option 2 renewed heights I'm going for.... 😳 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Historical weather events. ❤ the seasons! Winters crisp snow!
4 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

It strikes me that there are 3 options with this Atlantic lows meet cold pool thing:

1. The lows disrupt to form a train of small lows that can slide and follow a southerly jet and track south.
  2. A deeper low gets stalled on the approach to the cold air, and resulting WAA pumps up heights into Scandi.
  3. A deeper low barges straight through and obliterates the cold pool (at least as far as it affects the UK).

The third is the only one that carries the risk of fully unleashing the Atlantic subsequently.

We’ve been watching this for a while now, where’s your money?  

My money  would be on No 2 @Mike Poole, been looking like scandi high for a while now imo. We'll see 🤞 Got to love the drama of the model output yet again. Interesting pub run too coming up. Maybe the Atlantic influence and return of westerlies@Met4Cast alluded to again 🤔 will be wrong again. I believe the causes/drivers of our weather are not fullly understood yet, especially how they interact with one another and tbh I'm not sure they ever will be, its too complex imo.

Stella's baps and maybe snow shoes on @legritter

What I would do for a really cold snowy white Christmas 🎄 

Here's to hoping 🙏 

BTW @Met4Castno dig, you're one of the best, very knowledgeable and thank you for sharing your skills on this great platform ✌️

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Interesting ! 

Only one run and we’d need to see westwards corrections .

Should keep this thread busy with the ECM dangling the possible easterly tease !

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm
Just now, BLAST FROM THE PAST said:

image.thumb.gif.06a42b8e4360ecfc0cfe88ddc6e5671f.gif

image.thumb.gif.ba3b6f0b0328124dd7ed7beaec106b7c.gif

The DEEP cold is backing West….that LP imo would slide/disrupt under.

BFTP

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers but not too hot and colder winters with frost and snow

I just can’t believe how mild the US is by 10th December(would post chart if I knew what I was doing🤣).Is that the effect of the Canadian warming?.Over to our shores and its incredible the uncertainty of the models for just 72hrs and the implications that has going forward to the middle of next week.I still think the less cold conditions will prevail but for how long is anybody’s guess.Fascinating times and I think that Northern England and Scotland may not warm up much at all!!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

Here’s the point of direction imo of where the ecm would lead to.

image.thumb.png.5a2c1e41d8ee3d83ebf8afa76443a766.png

focus on Southern tip of Greenland at t216.  Now look at t240

image.thumb.png.4f6031bac84bce4e7c4718764bbda91a.png

the blocking is winning

BFTP

Edited by BLAST FROM THE PAST
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

The low at 72 hrs is quite a bit further south than this morning comparing the 12z with the 00z fax charts for Sunday...

fax72s.thumb.gif.723ec8c1267f89070d71978fbfd41f1d.giffax84s.thumb.gif.dc5e858a3d6e47ffd2a0653656fe3425.gif

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer Sunshine / Winter Snow

Wow that ECM!  Almost the Easterly that a certain poster from Crewe has been touting for a while.  Fair play if it comes off!

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

First time in ages (from what I can recall) I've seen a proper cold high modelled over Scandi to drive cold westwards. It's usually Azores Highs going up there or a Euro high travelling north (not that either of those things happen often either). Never the same as a proper cold-sourced high. That's where the truly cold Scandi high spells come from

Likely gone in 12 hours but nice to see

• Like 6

Posted
3 minutes ago, Allseasons-Si said:

The low at 72 hrs is quite a bit further south than this morning comparing the 12z with the 00z fax charts for Sunday...

fax72s.thumb.gif.723ec8c1267f89070d71978fbfd41f1d.giffax84s.thumb.gif.dc5e858a3d6e47ffd2a0653656fe3425.gif

Does that mean more chance of snow for southern UK?

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, Big Gally said:

Remember again the gfs picked up the signal a couple of days ago right at the end of the run. Mabey the rest are starting to sniff it out now? Anyways keeps us in the game ⛄🥶

The gfs is the only model that goes past day 10

over the past couple of days it has produced pretty much every conceivable outcome post day 10. So it’s not a surprise that it will have hit the bulls eye at some point 😄

• Like 6

Posted
Just now, bluearmy said:

The gfs is the only model that goes past day 10

over the past couple of days it has produced pretty much every conceivable outcome post day 10. So it’s not a surprise that it will have hit the bulls eye at some point 😄

😂 reminds me a bit the daily express.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice
5 minutes ago, Harveyslugger said:

Does that mean more chance of snow for southern UK?

Not nessesery no,we are looking for these lows to disrupt and track further S/SE so that we stay on the cold side of the jet for longer.

Edited by Allseasons-Si
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
Just now, Allseasons-Si said:

Not nessesery no,we are looking for these lows to disrupt and track further S/SE so that we stay on the cold side of the jet.

and avoid a washout Monday, like GFS shows, need a southerly correction for a dry day