Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Into Winter

Message added by Paul,

This thread is for model related chat and discussion. Please head over to the Winter chat thread if your post isn't about the models. If you'd like some localised weather chat, make sure you've joined your regional group

Please use the insightful reaction on posts you think should be copied to the model highlights thread.

As ever, please keep to the community guidelines, the guiding principles of which are:
Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

Day 10 and similarities between the GFS op and the ECM op are obvious

GFS

image.thumb.png.8f816aef2e4abf2089dd1ac19a749691.png

ECM

image.thumb.png.266300b5f1bc94b4f476f97a813140e9.png

Could be both agreeing on an incorrect idea of course but it's probably worth noting

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers
3 minutes ago, Cheshire Freeze said:

I feel we’re on the cusp of something potentially extreme into December. That cold to the E has been building steadily for a while now.

It has been colder then average in Scandi since mid-October!

• Like 9

Posted
15 minutes ago, January Snowstorm said:

A couple of things worth commenting on at this stage:

1 - Almost all of the Long range forecasts are already bust. Early December is panning out very different to what was forecast. Are we in uncharted territory with GW etc and it's likely affects.

2 - Depth of cold over Europe. Have we ever seen that depth of cold so early in the season. I certainly don't recall it in the Internet age. With such warming going on across the world how in earth is it happening?!

We've had a couple of near misses and very odd starts to Winter over the last 3 years. Massive potential that faded. Is it a case that we were unlucky and that luck is now coming good. Below ECM's musings at 240hrs. Bitter bitter cold out East!

image.thumb.png.a0dcbaace4c0f72891a0548bfe484fb0.png

I really can't see anything unseasonal. There have been many years after 2000 with this deep cold in the NE. The majority of times an Azores ridge brings this cold towards SE Europe. Also back in the late 80s and early 90s mid December was the most snowy period for SE Europe at low levels. 

We need a proper blocking to get anything from NE and this is not in the cards right now unfortunately. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Hot and Sunny but not opressive
4 minutes ago, TSNWK said:

Does exm control go out beyond 240? I think it might do... be Interesting to see if it does

It does indeed .

here

WWW.METEOCIEL.FR

meteociel propose des rubriques météo temps réel, forums, modeles...

Tantalisingly close 

AE2E62B4-C0A9-4C99-BAA6-3ECD4BEC0806.png

7D4463E9-F23C-4C9C-BA3E-FFBC9A3697C7.png

Edited by Mark wheeler
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice
3 minutes ago, TSNWK said:

Does exm control go out beyond 240? I think it might do... be Interesting to see if it does

Yes,...it goes out to 360...

WWW.METEOCIEL.FR

• Like 2

Posted
10 minutes ago, Derecho said:

December 2002 saw intense area of cold over eastern Europe, Russia and Scandi throughout that December. Closest analogue I can think of as that was also an El Nino.

That also attempted to bring the cold west early on that month. Hopefully we go one better this time.

image.thumb.png.742ffbe9d9697eb2bcc6048b1e06df4c.png

This should offer some comfort for coldies, it still shows the possibility of notable cold in a warming world, something which I've been alluding to for a numbr of years now.

Switch off the Atlantic flow and you bottle up all that heat in the tropics. 

Yeah, I had a look through on climatereanlzser going back to 1979 and it was a struggle to find cold this intense so early on in the season. It was also not possible to find warmth anywhere near the sort highlighted in red on the map there. 

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

• Like 4
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer
25 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

The northern annular mode is another term for the arctic oscillation 

the chart Dennis posted is looking at it through the whole atmosphere from the top of the strat to the surface 

Down in the trop you can see that we are forecast to have a neg AO and even high up at the top of the strat there is a short lived reversal near to the pole 

this is a gfs based forecast from the op run so whilst it’s likely to be fairly decent high up, down in the trop it could easily be wrong as the run heads through week 2 

A great explanation there abit lazy on my part not do my research on this occasion but i have fifa on pause in a champions league semi final 😭 

I figured most of it out but what better place to ask a question in the best weather forum in the world 🌍?!

Thanks guys for all you're replies 😀

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Snow!!

The Scandia high stopping Storm Agnes pummelling through the UK in September said to me then that we should watch the high pressure over Scandinavia this coming Winter!!!

In fact I think the second storm Babet did almost the same !!!

• Like 5

Posted
2 minutes ago, Allseasons-Si said:

Yes,...it goes out to 360...

WWW.METEOCIEL.FR

Thank you.. so near to something really special as it trundles out to continue where ecm op ended at day image.thumb.png.89db34de6cbe9b54fa35363313844f88.png 

• Like 4

Posted
3 minutes ago, Lukesluckybunch said:

After seeing the ECM it gives us all something too look forward too,on the 18z if not tomorrow morning..hopefully the gfs will start sniffing it out!

The GFS is already 'sniffing it out'

image.png.9d4d628996b332d3dc89d3101b24c7cb.png

Not far off the ECM at all

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,
1 hour ago, icykev said:

My money  would be on No 2 @Mike Poole, been looking like scandi high for a while now imo. We'll see 🤞 Got to love the drama of the model output yet again. Interesting pub run too coming up. Maybe the Atlantic influence and return of westerlies@Met4Cast alluded to again 🤔 will be wrong again. I believe the causes/drivers of our weather are not fullly understood yet, especially how they interact with one another and tbh I'm not sure they ever will be, its too complex imo.

Stella's baps and maybe snow shoes on @legritter

What I would do for a really cold snowy white Christmas 🎄 

Here's to hoping 🙏 

BTW @Met4Castno dig, you're one of the best, very knowledgeable and thank you for sharing your skills on this great platform ✌️

If you read my posts I’ve actually been suggesting option 1 in the last couple of days 😉 I.e a return to stronger westerly momentum across the Atlantic but with the potential for a south-shifted jet stream. 

I don’t buy a return to full classic zonal weather. 

9 hours ago, Met4Cast said:

We are seeing some changes, AAM tendency is spiking (increasing westerly momentum) which is the signal for an Atlantic return next week as the increased momentum moves downstream. 

gltend_sig.90day.thumb.gif.4bff76b053faf823ffac8bb649ffc8da.gif

As Tamara alluded to in a post yesterday though, where this returning momentum ends up remains very uncertain, it still remains possible that we see a south shifted jet stream & indeed modelling does seem to be converging on this, despite the trend to "less cold" conditions we're not really seeing anything within the ensembles to suggest blow torch south-westerlies are on the way. 

With the jet likely aligned NW>SE we're unlikely to see the cold blown away from Scandinavia, a few southerly tracking lows could in theory tap into the colder air to the NE at times.. worth noting the potential for some very deep lows moving into the UK December week 2 as well given the sharp thermal boundary. 

If I was on a hill in the north i'd be raising an eyebrow for sure!

Edited by Met4Cast
  • Like 6

Posted
10 minutes ago, Mark wheeler said:

It does indeed .

here

WWW.METEOCIEL.FR

Tantalisingly close 

AE2E62B4-C0A9-4C99-BAA6-3ECD4BEC0806.png

7D4463E9-F23C-4C9C-BA3E-FFBC9A3697C7.png

New Year's Eve 1978 KLAXON

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
37 minutes ago, January Snowstorm said:

Bitter bitter cold out East!

image.thumb.png.a0dcbaace4c0f72891a0548bfe484fb0.png

Crikey! I’m in Lapland from 13th-16th December. Could be absolutely frigid. 

As long as the pool of intense cold remains, we are potentially not far off tapping into something special. Just need the synoptic pattern to set up favourably. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer

What a beautiful start to winter this is. 

Its come through the back door this one we all know it. Hindsight is a wonderful thing to look back at and learn and develop but what we have now is not the normal set up and for ones that's new if you wanto learn honestly study through archive's and you will soon figure out all of the famous winters of the past 

47/62/77(?)83/90/91 etc to more modern days of 09/10/13/18 

95% of them is from charts like we're seeing now. 

No assurances at all, the weather makes fools out of us all every day but time will tell if we can find the key to holy grail or its to become an incredibly frustrating near miss again!

Edited by Severe Siberian icy blast
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and dry, or very cold. See my profile for model trivia

Things aren't looking so great beyond day 6 down in my neck of the woods according to the ECM 12z ensemble, though you can see the footprint of ensemble members like the one shown below on the meteogram spreads in week 2...

image.thumb.png.c29f21ef19f78d6e1ed1621ea712a168.pngimage.thumb.png.24d9fc59ba25d95b7475db1a1d4f78df.png

Edited by RainAllNight
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

image.thumb.png.5732e0d3abfb43e8afa2a71510f021e4.png

beautiful…..that’s what we want to see going forward.  Relaxation of minor sorts

BFTP

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
4 hours ago, Jackski4 said:

Keeps being pushed back.. thought I was the only one who noticed 🤣

Nope I've been quietly watching, obviously no one knows when the push backs re cold will stop, but I'm personally not taking anything past Sunday as nailed, and even Sunday will still have adjustments. It's just the nature of cold synoptics, they always have a high level of uncertainty. I do expect the Atlantic to have some influence, mostly in the south, but other than that, I'm not calling this cold spell over. The snow line will rise and fall, over the midla ds and the south I reckon, with the north staying cold for a while yet 

• Like 2