Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Into 2024

Catacol
Message added by Paul,

This thread is for model related chat and discussion only.
Please head over to the Winter chat thread if your post isn't about the models. If you'd like localised weather chat, make sure you've joined your regional group. Or if you just want to moan about the weather or models, or would like to ramp up whatever may be on the way - there is now a dedicated ramp and moans thread.

Please use the insightful reaction on posts you think should be copied to the model highlights thread.

As ever, please keep to the community guidelines, the guiding principles of which are:
Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted
4 minutes ago, Bricriu said:

If I am not mistaken didn't the Glosea long range go for a mild winter overall? I think  someone mentioned they failed to spot the Canadian warming? If this  cold spell come to pass,  could it be in the main due to the Canadian  warming wearing the strat vortex? Did the winter  of 1963 have a Canadian  warning?

Decembers update was less good than previous months (still decent but it seemed to miss the CW in early December so many decided it wasn’t worth too much attention.  But glosea runs more than monthly - it’s just that it only updates once on Copernicus each month.  Hence Exeter’s monthly update began to take an ssw into account as December went on. Clearly the beginning December glosea run was dodgy! 

Edited by bluearmy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hurricanes, Thunderstorms and blizzards please!

GFS and Control at 216

image.thumb.png.71adc831b2b45ecc8bfc6062c94c7a7a.png image.thumb.png.fda4d2eb564c2ea083f61cc78d549ed7.png

Very much on the same page.  Improving mean for the same time also.

image.thumb.png.665e0a914f19324b2fb0aa2615e3c27a.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, snow, ice. Very hot or very cold.
19 minutes ago, Polaris said:

Remember the 12s gave us this on 28th Nov at D13 

As we all know… never happened. 

If the latest 12s showing at T96 then I’ll get my sledge ready! 

1BB30714-069F-47AF-BEF0-1B80DDCAE75B.jpeg

Well, of course it's tongue in cheek to make the 1963 comparison, as we are all aware that the GFS fun and games are deep FI for now.
For serious forecasts it is indeed wise to stick to charts within 120h.

However, with the background signals as they right now, and with what we've seen in many ensembles over the past week, this extended GFS scenario is at least more likely, better supported than the one you showed for mid December, which was an extreme outlier in its ensemble that went against the expectation of a more mobile pattern setting up mid December.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
22 minutes ago, Met4Cast said:

If the latest CANSIP seasonal is anything to go by blocking could last through February & March. 
IMG_4275.thumb.png.4674394d15bcb29cd6f1a341da83752f.pngIMG_4276.thumb.png.afa939a0199e9eb16449e1d54d8a1b42.png

Current MJO/GWO progression does favour the likelihood of repeated periods of blocking/cold spells with a waxing & waning of blocking inbetween. 

We are entering the most exciting winter period probably since 2009/2010. 

Love your updates lately mate 👍

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Hot and Sunny but not opressive

Thats 5 out of 5 models with an Easterly of sorts but much prefer the UKMO obviously.

1EB26DC8-AF10-4607-972C-4C3A797ADA30.png

EC917F4C-9419-4001-B5C2-3B73E4F4E0F4.png

64CC5842-71D7-418A-883C-C5F7DE3F6082.png

02898CB4-C86A-43EC-8853-5E1550BED5E4.png

Edited by Mark wheeler
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
38 minutes ago, Rob 79812010 said:

Question for long time model watchers. When the charts consistently showing colder temps out in F1 which then come into the medium term, is it still feasible it can all go belly up??

Is water wet?

🤪

• Like 3

Posted

Just running thru the ensembles at 126 and about 8-10 of them are picking up much lower dam heights over the south, (P23) being the lowest.

I wouldn't bank on it being a mainly dry easterly just yet with the incremental upgrades we seem to be getting on each suite.

I've attached a few examples 

gensnh-29-1-126.png

gensnh-23-1-126.png

gensnh-22-1-126.png

gensnh-10-1-126.png

gensnh-4-1-126.png

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, Cold Winter Night said:

Well, of course it's tongue in cheek to make the 1963 comparison, as we are all aware that the GFS fun and games are deep FI for now.
For serious forecasts it is indeed wise to stick to charts within 120h.

However, with the background signals as they right now, and with what we've seen in many ensembles over the past week, this extended GFS scenario is at least more likely, better supported than the one you showed for mid December, which was an extreme outlier in its ensemble that went against the expectation of a more mobile pattern setting up mid December.

Thats a brave call at 13 days, We've had convincing background signals at a shorter timeframe along with stonking ensembles lots of times before in winters. You only have to look at this thread early this morning to realise how flips happen. 

But history tells us that the 'not cold' or 'not so cold' flip usually wins. 

As you say anything serious HAS TO COME INTO the 5 day (120hr) 

Posted

At day 10 there is good support for GFS opp across its ensembles. 

Much too far out to be anything other than a passing interest at this stage. It does make synoptic sense though as a punchy northerly or attack from NE has looked a possibility for some days post this UK high. 

Posted
50 minutes ago, Catacol said:

And here we have it - @Scott Inghamday once again. There is a bit of a theme growing here....and all fun aside 15 Jan is rather consistently looking very tasty. Scott - how much for a day with your crystal ball?

image.thumb.png.c1ffef513e706d0882ce8257a00c7948.png

Hahaha I wish I had a crystal ball! I could have picked 2 days either side to account for the lag in GLAAM

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but boringly hot

Well caught up on the last 12hrs & wow. D Reamy. Quickest I've used nearly all my likes.

We really are spoilt for choice of stonking options, now we just need some kind of concensus. Personally I'd like to see the split flow as long it's favourable ofcourse, as not sure I've seen one make it to D1 so would be interesting to witness the results

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, heat, sunshine, hail. Basically Seasonal.

Went offline for a little while and come back to this! 

Such a big flip to a cold easterly - let's keep the upgrades coming (just get the uppers towards -10/11 a bit more frequently now). 

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold with a lot of snow

Incredible chart at day 11 from GFS operational. Was it the coldest dat in Kvikkjok yesterday, it seems like some more records are about to be broken if this chart verifies. 

GFSOPEU12_264_2.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Hot and Sunny but not opressive
3 minutes ago, MATTWOLVES 3 said:

Control is ona roll..this is getting ever so slowly very tasty.

gensnh-0-1-252.png

1B8380DB-5011-4534-8315-681CB8322075.jpeg

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hurricanes, Thunderstorms and blizzards please!

The strength of signal on the 252 mean shows that there's going to be a lot of ensemble support.  

image.thumb.png.17879faa3530d576c0a1ec40e193db1c.png

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1