Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Moans, ramps and banter

Message added by Paul,

Please keep in mind that this thread is not intended for complaining about or criticising other members. Let's maintain a respectful environment for everyone.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Sun
33 minutes ago, shawty1984 said:

I had the post deleted twice, of course I want to air my views. 

The problem you have is you take no action on those posters who are doing nothing but being unrealistic. It's been like this for years now. A boom here or a bin there and every time cold is sniffed at by the models, it gets compared to every notable event we've ever had. It's totally unrealistic and is unfair for those that are visiting but don't know how to read models. 

I'm not bothered I've not seen snow, I'm bothered about how cold weather is portrayed on here. As stated, the goal posts are moved to suit the agenda. If they were just moved with a we got it slightly wrong, that's fine, but they are moved and denied that they got it wrong until people follow suit into believing that the second date given was always the correct date. 

I'm not here to expect posters to say its going to snow on 12th February 2024. But it seems (things can still change) that January didn't turn out as was portrayed and that's partly fault of those that are booming, binning or comparing every evidence of cold to those past notable events. 

Do what I do mate. Block those that make noise and keep those that make sense. Very simple, otherwise everything gets a bit messy. 👍😊

• Thanks 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Paul said:

We do try to move ott ramps into this very thread. But equally, what you're describing in many cases is weather enthusiasts getting a bit over enthusiastic for a weather type they love. What would you have us do, remove all the emotion, moderate every instance of someone getting somewhat excited? Where would we draw the line, how would we draw the line?

I can't say I've seen much of that sort of thing happening on here in 20 years. The reason for that is that most people know and accept that the models chop and change, and if dates x days ahead are talked about, it's on the basis of what the models are showing at the time. If you've misunderstood that and taken it to mean a guarantee of some sort of weather type on a particular date, then it's unfortunate and I can understand the disappointment, but hopefully next time you'll have a better understanding of the dynamic nature of weather forecasting and the models.

But once again, you're welcome to read what you like and draw the conclusions you wish to from those posts. All you're reading is thoughts on an open discussion about the model output from weather enthusiasts. Some have more knowledge than others, some get overly excited at the prospect of snow and cold, some may even post things which aren't an accurate representation of what the models they're describing are actually showing. But that's the nature of the beast, it's a discussion forum.

Indeed, but as I mentioned above, everyone's posts need to be on topic and within the guidelines. Even these posts are outside of those, as this thread isn't for moaning about other members. You're of course welcome to post your feedback and any specific thoughts about the moderation of the model thread in the team contact forum, it's what it's there for.

Yes, remove the bins and booms, it does nothing for anyone and is just misleading, especially on numerous occasions where the very next post goes against what has just been said. 

It happens all the time, I might not post often but I've been reading for years. Again I'm not asking for an exact date, but I've seen numerous times where the original date given is just ignored when it has been pushed back like no one had even said anything. It's happened on this occasion when it was realised that the 7th of January was just UK high and the date moved to the 15 and it was always the 15th when the fun began. 

I won't change your mind, but am I not allowed to speak out? It's not like I'm naming anyone, making it personal.

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, shawty1984 said:

I won't change your mind, but am I not allowed to speak out? It's not like I'm naming anyone, making it personal.

I've responded to your points in here, so clearly you're 'allowed'. But the point still stands that this thread isn't designed for this subject, it's for weather related moans and ramps etc, and we have a feedback forum along with a team contact forum both of which are designed for this sort of thing. 

Posted

Oh my the MAD thread have a met term ‘bone dry ‘ only mentioned 17 times today ! 

Even Nick has chucked in his towel 

I will stick with the Pro’s 

• Like 3

Posted
14 minutes ago, shawty1984 said:

Yes, remove the bins and booms, it does nothing for anyone and is just misleading, especially on numerous occasions where the very next post goes against what has just been said. 

It happens all the time, I might not post often but I've been reading for years. Again I'm not asking for an exact date, but I've seen numerous times where the original date given is just ignored when it has been pushed back like no one had even said anything. It's happened on this occasion when it was realised that the 7th of January was just UK high and the date moved to the 15 and it was always the 15th when the fun began. 

Not sure why ‘misleading’ is a problem - it’s a forum not a forecasting site tho must admit years ago I did have the habit of telling friends etc that snow was on the way based on model observations and upbeat comments in the mod thread - luckily I learnt my lesson and keep quiet these days until 48 hrs ish !

• Like 3

Posted
2 minutes ago, Brassmonkeylily said:

Oh my the MAD thread have a met term ‘bone dry ‘ only mentioned 17 times today ! 

Even Nick has chucked in his towel 

I will stick with the Pro’s 

"Bone dry" - a term i used one week ago; hasnt been far off bar the dandruff flakes from Monday.

As others have said, an absolutely 'useless' coldish spell that's cost loot on increased energy useage at home.

Oh for the AH to muscle in for rest of Winter.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.
28 minutes ago, shawty1984 said:

It's only misleading if you're naïve like I was back in the day.

Tbh, i don't really like all the booming and the binings, but I don't let it bother me.

I also don't have an ignore list - I don't get why you would unless that person was being abusive?

Edited by Gowon
added more words
  • Like 2

Dan Hutchings, Stateside, is ramping up an unprecedented extreme jet stream developing toward the tail end of next week. Due to extreme temperature gradients and other global anomalies. This is what the models are now factoring in and …I’m afraid it leads to a raging PV and a prolonged zonal setup. Looking to March now ! 

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Bristawl Si said:

"Bone dry" - a term i used one week ago; hasnt been far off bar the dandruff flakes from Monday.

As others have said, an absolutely 'useless' coldish spell that's cost loot on increased energy useage at home.

Oh for the AH to muscle in for rest of Winter.

I'd guess that people who've had water in their homes haven't found it particularly "useless".

• Like 4

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
5 minutes ago, Jono E said:

Dan Hutchings, Stateside, is ramping up an unprecedented extreme jet stream developing toward the tail end of next week. Due to extreme temperature gradients and other global anomalies. This is what the models are now factoring in and …I’m afraid it leads to a raging PV and a prolonged zonal setup. Looking to March now ! 

But that depends where the Jet Stream is going, is it firing up towards the UK, or as in the case of this upcoming low pressure, funneled into France? 

• Like 2

Posted

It would also be quite boring without the emotions in the MAD thread.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms
11 minutes ago, Jono E said:

🙄🙄🙄

Posted
14 minutes ago, Jono E said:

March? He's either got a crystal ball or he's half mystic Meg and half nostrodamous!

• Like 7

Posted
13 minutes ago, blizzard81 said:

March? He's either got a crystal ball or he's half mystic Meg and half nostrodamous!

There's quite a few indications that Feb could be cold as well

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow in winter,warm sun in summer!!!!
28 minutes ago, MJB said:

It is a long way back and nothing like the MET forecast 

Would imagine the Met will change their extended forecast with the latest runs of all the models 

• Thanks 1

Posted
23 minutes ago, Jono E said:

How different the field of meteorology would be if weather prediction were that straight forward.

Edited by MattStoke
  • Like 1

Posted
27 minutes ago, Gowon said:

It would also be quite boring without the emotions in the MAD thread.

I'd say more educational.

Posted
31 minutes ago, CharlieBear9 said:

I'd guess that people who've had water in their homes haven't found it particularly "useless".

Erm...that was a week plus ago. Yes, flooded props will still have their effects for months, but why live beside a river? Or why do useless environ secs and councils allow new builds on nature's flood plains?

Oh, and by the way a proper deep freeze is way more damaging than localised floods. I mean "DEEP". When pipes burst in an area affected by a proper deep freeze it affects 000s more properties than localised flooding.

Oh, and another "by the way" i thought guilt tripping was discouraged in here. So, "useless" cold without snow is just pointless, but costs money for increased energy useage.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer Sunshine / Winter Snow
37 minutes ago, Jono E said:

And what if said raging jet passes to the South of the UK?  Possible multiple snow opportunities?

• Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, shawty1984 said:

I'd say more educational.

It is if you just stick to the informative posts.👍

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
On 11/01/2024 at 09:44, In Absence of True Seasons said:

"ONE MORE RUN, ONE MORE RUN"

Be May soon and they will still be saying more runs needed😂

• Like 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, Bristawl Si said:

Erm...that was a week plus ago. Yes, flooded props will still have their effects for months, but why live beside a river? Or why do useless environ secs and councils allow new builds on nature's flood plains?

Oh, and by the way a proper deep freeze is way more damaging than localised floods. I mean "DEEP". When pipes burst in an area affected by a proper deep freeze it affects 000s more properties than localised flooding.

Oh, and another "by the way" i thought guilt tripping was discouraged in here. So, "useless" cold without snow is just pointless, but costs money for increased energy useage.

Not totally useless as It's got it's uses on nature but I know what you mean.👍

Posted
Just now, Bristawl Si said:

Properties in the Nottingham/Lincs area are still waterlogged, some of which haven't flooded in a hundred years, they're not all beside rivers.

I haven't mentioned any freeze, deep or otherwise.

RE: guilt tripping. As there are near daily whinges about heating bills, directed at anyone who hopes for normal winter weather, and have been since about last November, it seems odd that one remark about flooded homes should instigate an accusation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.
29 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

Be May soon and they will still be saying more runs needed😂

The chase for 2025 will be kicking into gear by then 😉

36 minutes ago, Bristawl Si said:

why do useless environ secs and councils allow new builds on nature's flood plains?

I'm pretty sure the areas that houses are being flooded in have expanded, so people are experiencing flooding in communities that never really experienced it, say, 20, 30, 40 etc years ago.

The need to build so many new homes yearly due to the general housing/property crisis adds to this...because it means building on areas that aren't necessarily ideal, to try and meet demand.

There's obviously other factors at play (the 3rd one being how obscenely wet November and December was) but that's two big parts of it. 

A proper deep freeze is definitely damaging, no doubt, but when do we have that sort of thing occurring regularly across numerous regions within the country? This is our 'cold spell' and its barely dropping into minus C temps, nothing that will affect infrastructure thankfully. 

The entire of December bar the first 2 / 3 days was incredibly mild, so speaking as someone who bemoans energy bills inflation to friends, family, colleagues all the time, that was a very lucky escape in that regard. Of course, from a weather preference, I'd have preferred to have been sunnier (and so colder), and snowier, but if we are talking purely from a place of saving £££ on heating, couldn't have asked for a better December month tbh. 

Edited by In Absence of True Seasons
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1