Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Colder but how cold and for how long?

Message added by Paul,

This thread is for model related chat and discussion only.
Please head over to the Winter chat thread if your post isn't about the models. If you'd like localised weather chat, make sure you've joined your regional group. Or if you just want to moan about the weather or models, or would like to ramp up whatever may be on the way - there is now a dedicated ramp and moans thread.

Please use the insightful reaction on posts you think should be copied to the model highlights thread.

As ever, please keep to the community guidelines, the guiding principles of which are:
Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted

Beeb monthly pretty much aligning to model output. Brief average or slightly above for a week in last week jan with Scotland probably staying below. This after a pretty lengthy cold spell for most.Then goes cold again to welcome Feb. This is all very tasty indeed

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
Just now, stripeyfox said:

you won't be able to resist mate!

I’ll be looking at the who’s online list 👀🤣

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, phil nw. said:

As old as i am Nick i can't help feeling this anticipation looking at the prospects of a long cold spell. ie.2 weeks plus.They are not common these days but given all the latest information within the excellent posts by our telecon experts and the longer term charts showing a blocked February then it's hard not to be optimistic for the rest of Winter.

Mmmm  just a thought 1947 didn't really get going until later in January,surely we won't get anything that severe now can we? 

Model discussion only please 🤣👀

• Like 8

Posted

ICON 12Z has a better angle on the incoming cold airmass (northerly) due to the heights retreating further west than they did on the 00z

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, phil nw. said:

Forgive me this upbeat mood caught me out,although i did touch on the longer range models.😁

Was a poor attempt at a joke on my behalf.. 

BRING ON THE 1947 REPEAT! !

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Most(see in interests section.)
8 minutes ago, Nick2373 said:

Wow just read it. 

Hi Nick

Can you post a link please to it? Thanks 

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, offerman said:

Hi Nick

Can you post a link please to it? Thanks 

Often cloudy across clearing central and southern areas at first. Thereafter, turning colder from the North, with brisk northerly winds likely developing widely across of the UK, bringing a risk of snow showers, most frequent across the north. Temperatures remaining cold, and a marked wind chill especially in the north. There is risk of unsettled weather pushing in from the south through this period, which could lead to a band of snow and sleet where it meets the colder air across the country. Confidence is low with regards the timing of the arrival of any such disturbance, but there is an increasing risk of something potentially disruptive at some point in this period. Widespread frosts continue to be a feature by night, with a risk of ice in places.

Updated: 14:00 (UTC) on Wed 10 Jan 2024

• Like 3

Posted
2 hours ago, Bricriu said:

It looks like a lot of ensembles are trending the wrong way in fi contrary to the op runs. It's a long way out anyway to worry about it. Also there is a chance they could change to extending the cold. As long as the UKMO update remains bullish about the long range I am happy enough.

100%. I was just explaining why they were not great.

The GFS opp was a huge cold outlier but it made sense to me so although anything that far out is complete guesswork for our tiny Island, I'm thinking the opp made more sense than GEFS.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Most(see in interests section.)
Just now, Nick2373 said:

Often cloudy across clearing central and southern areas at first. Thereafter, turning colder from the North, with brisk northerly winds likely developing widely across of the UK, bringing a risk of snow showers, most frequent across the north. Temperatures remaining cold, and a marked wind chill especially in the north. There is risk of unsettled weather pushing in from the south through this period, which could lead to a band of snow and sleet where it meets the colder air across the country. Confidence is low with regards the timing of the arrival of any such disturbance, but there is an increasing risk of something potentially disruptive at some point in this period. Widespread frosts continue to be a feature by night, with a risk of ice in places.

Updated: 14:00 (UTC) on Wed 10 Jan 2024

Thanks for posting this Nick, but we should all be careful as they said the confidence is low.

it’s like looking at charts in FI 

It’s still a long way off and the confidence is low, would be great if it comes off, just have to be a bit cautious really. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters, hot summers
29 minutes ago, johnholmes said:

Max balloon data is 00Z and 12Z

1.6 GB data 00/12z to ~120 MB 06/18z 🫡

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Blizzards in winter Hot and sunny in summer...other is simply boring!!
57 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

OMG this is getting very exciting .:santa-emoji:

What a lovely upgrade on the ECM 06 hrs run .

We see that nuisance high lobe over France suppressed and the shortwave looks like it will clear before the Atlantic low gets too close .

Please tell me you’re not on Cyprus Nick ! Right I am due to Book Tenerife today /tomorrow to go Saturday but don’t want to miss the snow ❄️ I have a terrible dilemma only a coldy would understand …was hoping this was going to water down as usual but it’s ramping up 🙈 ……help where I am it could still just be cold rain with snow m4 north….

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

Oh no!!!! Noooooooo!’   12z flat as pancake

BFTP

Edited by BLAST FROM THE PAST
  • Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, Chertseystreamer79 said:

It's the same text as before no?? Even though it says updated at 14.00utc....

No this is for the date from the 15th-23rd of Jan. 

Edited by Nick2373
  • Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, BLAST FROM THE PAST said:

Oh no!!!! Noooooooo!

BFTP

Runs to check icon....

Looks fine to me at 120..if anything a smidge quicker bringing the cold in

Edited by TSNWK
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

The German 1 @96.. decent slant n, shape to the father flow!!.. and those shorts are being ushered away via now governing cell placement 

66198995-6401-4407-981E-8A7272C26C5C.png

EAF98C30-64B6-4A3F-B8AD-1FCC12C5A826.png

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
21 minutes ago, winterof79 said:

Or "Boa Tarde" as its pm😎

Yeah, didn't want to go there though as it might have been morning when she started typing...!

• Like 3