Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Cold spell ending - what next?

Message added by Paul,

This thread is for model related discussion only
Please head over to the Winter chat thread if your post isn't about the models. If you'd like localised weather chat, make sure you've joined your regional group. For purely emotional reactions to the models, the new model emotions thread is also available. 

Please use the insightful reaction on posts you think should be copied to the model highlights thread.

Please see the model discussion guidelines for more information about posting into this thread.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal
18 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

It's just dawned on me ...

If EC goes down the GFS/GEM route by   day 10 I'm going to have to strat myself in,again..

😫

Typo intended? 🙂 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,
17 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

It's just dawned on me ...

If EC goes down the GFS/GEM route by   day 10 I'm going to have to strat myself in,again..

😫

Not sure I have the energy for another round of this nonsense 😂

Good to see the first hints of something appearing in the extended outlooks though. Keeping an eye on the ensembles, would like to see more dipping into cold/deep cold territory..

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.
Just now, Troubleatmill said:

I think it's safe to say the GEFS are buying into the whole Scandinavian high possibility 

GFSPANELEU12_246_1.png

Yep. Control going for it.

IMG_0062.png

• Like 5

Posted
1 hour ago, Drifter said:

Am I the only saddo that finds the formation of a Scandi high really fascinating? It’s highly satisfying watching the ridges shoot up along with the discontinuous trough disruption out west. 

Not all all. 

The reason most of us are weather geeks is the chasing down of rare and unusual weather synoptics.

Scandi Highs in Winter are uncommon and therefore much more interesting than the usual Iceland low and Iberian High.

• Like 8

Posted

GFS 12z is interesting temperature wise. Something of an upgrade on the temperatures for the period 22nd-26th, which now looks exceptionally mild, but more of a downgrade after that, with temperatures nearer normal.

chart(73).thumb.png.5bc312f35e1d661aed48f48f98061e18.pngchart(74).thumb.png.fb78868b625692a8392e3d425e3e07c8.png

It will be interesting to see what the ECM makes of it later.

Overall headline from me is much the same as the last few days. Very mild last third of the month overall, possibility of a daily record at the upper end of possibilities around the mildest period, a drop-off towards the end towards slightly milder than average or average conditions rather than exceptionally mild.

The building blocks of something colder may start to assemble by the end of the month, but I think any proper cold weather will start in February.

Going to wait for the 15z UKV later before commenting further on potential storm risk.

• Like 4

Posted
38 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

Not all all. 

The reason most of us are weather geeks is the chasing down of rare and unusual weather synoptics.

Scandi Highs in Winter are uncommon and therefore much more interesting than the usual Iceland low and Iberian High.

They’re typically more common later in winter that’s my experience, so it sort of follows climatology, getting one in December which can produce is very uncommon, things tend to settle down more later in winter with high pressure more influential. February is third driest month in London, interestingly on 1981-2010 climatology February was driest month of year. A reflection of how our winters have changed, February particularly has changed similarly December, in contrast to January which has been more static in last 20 years. 2024 likely adding to that. 

• Like 5
  • Insightful 1

Posted

On the tip of the realms of LALA land, the 192 from 12z ECM is interesting.Heights rising in Scandy, but the big blob of Vortex to our west has us in mild gusting SW'lies. Plenty of scope for improvement there. Still. very encouraging the NWP's keep showing Svalbard heights. 

Screenshot 2024-01-18 at 18.41.52.png

• Like 5

Posted

So, looking through the charts it looks like we will see a period where Iberian heights rule. That bit is nailed on as we have almost 100% multi run / ensemble agreement on this.

Once we get beyond day 8 there is a signal for focus of heights to change focus from Iberia to become more 'mid latitude'. Other than the odd chart were not seeing loads of high latitude blocking but the GEFS for example are mostly pointing to some form of mid latitude high. So, were looking at a UK high (again 😶)  or a one centered initially over southern Scandi or low countries and sinking. Its notable in nearly all ensembles that the northern arm of the jet is overrunning any high.

Where do I think we will end up? Well, I reckon the current GFS opp (12Z) will be pretty close to where we get to. So, colder yes, but a 'beast' is highly unlikely. Lots of time for changes for better or worse though.

If I'm right and like me, you want snow,  flights to Athens might be good value 🤣

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, warm sunny summers,
8 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

They’re typically more common later in winter that’s my experience, so it sort of follows climatology, getting one in December which can produce is very uncommon, things tend to settle down more later in winter with high pressure more influential. February is third driest month in London, interestingly on 1981-2010 climatology February was driest month of year. A reflection of how our winters have changed, February particularly has changed similarly December, in contrast to January which has been more static in last 20 years. 2024 likely adding to that. 

February can be frustrating month can't it, especially the last third unless you get severe cold aka 2018. 

On one hand the PV should be starting to weaken naturally, SSTs are at or approaching there coldest and yet solar energy is increasing 👍

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, Lukesluckybunch said:

Looking like the ecm not interested in the initial easterly set up..

It was more amplified yesterday to day 8!  
id expect a decent no of eps members that are going to bring a scandi ridge but this op looks to have decent continuity from the 00z run 

Edited by bluearmy
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold with a lot of snow
43 minutes ago, WYorksWeather said:

GFS 12z is interesting temperature wise. Something of an upgrade on the temperatures for the period 22nd-26th, which now looks exceptionally mild, but more of a downgrade after that, with temperatures nearer normal.

chart(73).thumb.png.5bc312f35e1d661aed48f48f98061e18.pngchart(74).thumb.png.fb78868b625692a8392e3d425e3e07c8.png

It will be interesting to see what the ECM makes of it later.

Overall headline from me is much the same as the last few days. Very mild last third of the month overall, possibility of a daily record at the upper end of possibilities around the mildest period, a drop-off towards the end towards slightly milder than average or average conditions rather than exceptionally mild.

The building blocks of something colder may start to assemble by the end of the month, but I think any proper cold weather will start in February.

Going to wait for the 15z UKV later before commenting further on potential storm risk.

GFS12 is good, but not great. The EPS isn't as good as the 06 either. Nevertheless I'm getting excited by the synoptic pattern. There are still some (large) buts, but I suppose the GFS is heading in the right direction. The WAA is established more West than yesterday which makes the chance of a Scandinavian block bigger. It is a long way to go before the cold gets here with the right setup, but it's a start. 

Edited by AO-
  • Like 1

Posted
Just now, bluearmy said:

It was more amplified yesterday!  
id expect a decent no of eps members that are going to bring a scandi ridge but this op looks to have decent continuity from the 00z run 

Quite right blue..the pv looks very rampant on this run!

Posted
5 minutes ago, Lukesluckybunch said:

Looking like the ecm not interested in the initial easterly set up..

The problem with EC tonight is the WAA being too far east and tilted the wrong way. It is more progressive with the WAA. Small differences are needed upstream to get where the GFS is heading. To start with the high pressure near the coast of the US. Small details will make a big difference, but I suspect the EPS to be more supportive of the GFS scenario. 

ECMOPEU12_144_1.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, Snowy winters.

Looking at the wind issue again for Sunday night/Monday morning. Using the Arpege, western and southern coasts around 50-60 mph gust with Northern Scotland taking the brunt with upto 90 mph gusts.

Not sure what the UKMO values look like but probably the stormiest of all the models.

arpegeeur-14-84.thumb.png.23247d8a0a732c7bf0afdc72031941de.png

• Like 1

Posted

Eventually the EC gets there at day ten, but needs a second shot for a HLB. The EC hints more towards retrogression of the Beast from the East. This would be nice if it would have been a cold one, but that is not the case. 

ECMOPEU12_240_1 (1).png