Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Moans, ramps and banter

Message added by Paul,

Please keep in mind that this thread is not intended for complaining about or criticising other members. Let's maintain a respectful environment for everyone.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

@marky810 January really hasn't been too bad tbf, at least here. From the 3rd to the 20th we didn't have a single day with more than 1mm of rain, and including today we've only had 8 days with >1mm of rain all month (the average for January is 11).

We've had 7mm so far today which actually makes it our wettest day since the 2nd of January. There's very little rain in the forecast after today so I'm not too bothered.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.
8 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

As someone posted above, it’s not the temperatures that are the problem, it has been the excessive rainfall and lack of sunshine. If it is 20°C during the day and 15°C at night and raining day and night, then even though it works out warmer than average because of the warm nights, it’s still not exactly ideal summer weather is it? The July to December period has been the wettest on record for the UK. People are sick to death of the cloud and rain. Other than the exceptionally hot first week of September, then has been very little in the way of dry, sunny, warmth. Instead it’s been more a mild, wet, dreary, humid kind of warmth. Yes it has been warmer than average, don’t get me wrong, but it’s been the wrong kind of warmth…

Hear Hear! My sentiments exactly, which I imagine are amplified from your perspective as its even wetter and duller/cloudier in your part of the country...

The last 2 days for me over the weekend for example, were rather sunny indeed, luckily. But i see from your comment that it was not the same for you. 

Dullness is the predominant feature of our climate unfortunately, especially for areas area from the South of the country. I think alot of people just aren't very aware of how dull our country is on a global scale. After all, the sunniest place in the UK is still around 20% less sunny than the least sunny region in the USA lol, in terms of average annual sunshine hours... 

@Frigid Wouldnt mind that if it also delivery plenty of sunlight - which April 2021 definitely did! I actually really enjoyed that month on the whole.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.

@markyo Both these are true. I did enjoy the cold period just gone, but let's not forget how ridiculously mild and dull December was prior to that... One of the worst Winter months I can recall.

Unfortunately the UK (especially nowadays) is just not the best place for proper seasonal disparity in either regard! (winter or summer). 😒 Although, we generally do get at least 1 'heatwave' per summer month in most years, whereas the same cannot be said for Winter, where (in London anyway) we are lucky if we see a spell like the wintry one just gone, and even luckier if that spell brings snow, which this year's one unfortunately didn't deliver on. 

Personally I will probably be having to travel somewhere abroad to get a real snow / winter fix in future... 10c and cloudy seems to be the default winter condition in my area nowadays. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Clear blue skies!

What a strange "14 degrees" day (well 12c at mo) today. Can see the condensation in my breath and hands are cold lol. Yesterday felt far more mild- although it was sunny.

• Like 2

Posted

what a dreadful day .The fog is getting thicker as well.

Edited by SLEETY

Posted

I know this is the moan thread, but what a lovely day in London today!!!! So mild, so spring-like!!!

Edited by SunnyG
  • Like 2

Posted

@SunnyG

Not here in Westminster, grey, cloudy, dull and a cool breeze. (well, cool to me when i walked over Westminster Bridge this morning) 

• Like 1

Posted

Interesting to note that we are only on page 30 in the mod thread after a week. During periods of mass hysteria this landmark would be reached whilst making a cup of coffee. I'm taking this, perhaps wrongly, that this is a signal that winter is over. Oh my..................................

Edited by knocker
  • Like 7
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal (but not excessive heat); love cold winters!

@SunnyG Glad I'm not there this week, then...! Whatever happened to that quaint old fashioned notion of 'seasons' that I seem to recall...so last century! 🙂 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Whatever Mother Nature cares to throw my way

Lovely July / Aug 23 synoptics today   very wet & a nagging Nor'easter here
The only difference - temps .. Jul-23 18c feels like 14c,  Jan-24 7c feels like 3c 

image.thumb.png.f8c7c6022d099815ce708d5aab0f6e72.png

Edited by StingJet
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snowy winters, pleasently warm summers without the extremes
30 minutes ago, knocker said:

Interesting to note that we are only on page 30 in the mod thread after a week. During periods of mass hysteria this landmark would be reached whilst making a cup of coffee. I'm taking this, perhaps wrongly, that this is a signal that winter is over. Oh my..................................

i noticed the silence as well but I'm sure that the children will wake up again before too long to throw their toys at each other before February is out.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, thunderstorms, warmth, sun any time!

12C at the moment, feels like a damp cool day in June, but at least it's not raining. Bluebell stems continuing to grow taller, and the grass is also starting to grow back a little. Spotted snowdrops on a stroll in the countryside during the weekend.

40 minutes ago, knocker said:

I'm taking this, perhaps wrongly, that this is a signal that winter is over.

I think it was back in mid December I jokingly said "winter is over", well that may have not been too wrong after all!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BWh

@Metwatch winter isn't over until March has passed for me. Even if it's ludicrously mild t-shirt weather, I still call it winter as the risk of winter weather will always be around the corner until spring has properly set in.

• Like 2

Posted

@Wetterfrosch That's my snow! No thats my snow! Nooo it's mine ...

@raz.org.rain LONG past that! We get winter in June round 'ere ...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BWh

@knocker some are despairing, some are rejoicing. It seems there's either good signals for something colder or nothing at all to suggest the mild spell is coming to an end. The signal for change always seems to be there but very much outside of the reliable timeframe.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

could reach 13c here today which is remarkable for January when the average is around -10c 

• Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snowy winters, pleasently warm summers without the extremes
18 minutes ago, marky810 said:

Enjoy it while you can. It's been raining here for 9 hours +.

Just slackened off here now to a mere mizzle but in the hours to 9 am my rain gauge collected 23.8 mm and 13.2 mm since then but no sign of a yellow warning from the MetO - It's only Eryri/Snowdonia where such things are considered normal, I guess. What about the poor souls in places like the Conwy Valley that's rather susceptible to flooding? As a result of storm Jocelyn and the aftermath of the Isha flood barriers were apparently deployed in Conwy town. Then too the heaviest of the rain was largely confined to the uplands, so what's different now?🤔🤔🤔

Posted

@Metwatch I don’t think winter is over, just yet!

Been looking at the Jetstream forecast over the last few days, seems this dross largely with us for the next week or so ( with a cold blip in 5 days), but from the 10th February, we’re getting the jetstream from Nova Scotia northwards.

The following week might be interesting!

Edited by Wingman Blue
Spelling