Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Moans, ramps and banter

Message added by Paul,

Please keep in mind that this thread is not intended for complaining about or criticising other members. Let's maintain a respectful environment for everyone.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, heat, sunshine, hail. Basically Seasonal.

In Absence of True Seasons this is spot on - as many have mentioned we are seeing exceptional wet periods then dry periods. Is this the pattern that's likely to persist? Or as you said is there a pattern that's likely to become the slightly more dominant one. 

We can all agree it's getting milder, although whether it's wet and mild or dry and mild is another thing.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow in winter,warm sun in summer!!!!

At last , another bright day and that vast orb in the sky has made an appearance 😎

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters, warm, early spring, cool, gentle summer, stormy autumn
12 hours ago, LetItSnow! said:

my one good month theory holds up here as August 1998 was decent in the south

Surely May would count as the decent month in 1998? It's the fifth-driest in the whole 1991-2020 dataset.

Posted

Bright and breezy; cloud with sunny spells, 11c.

Posted

CharlieBear9 I have been very consistent in my preference for mild winters. Preferably dry like 88/89 but I'll take wet if that is what it is. It is spring now so I am looking for improvement in the weather. I don't see how that backs up your argument. I was also saying the weather has been consistently wet for the last year. I like hot dry sunny summers and we didn't get that last year. So I feel entitled to moan about that in a moans thread.

• Like 1

Posted

CharlieBear9 I think you should be allowed to question anything and anyone, but perhaps don't always expect to know the answer 😉 I hate cold so much (it makes me feel awful in body and soul)  that logic goes out the window sometimes lmao

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool summers.

CryoraptorA303 Of the main three. 

Also your other comment said 1973 was a very wet year. I think you mean 1974 because 1973 was very, very dry. 1971-1973 was very dry and if it hadn’t have been for a wet interlude in 1974 then the 1975-1976 drought could have been even more intense. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb

CryoraptorA303 August 1998s sunshine wasn't matched until 2022 here, and was the 2nd sunniest August in the 1991-2020 period.

Edited by B87

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, thunderstorms, warmth, sun any time!

Talking about mild winters and although mild usually means wet it's not always the case. February 2023 one of the best ones of recent, and probably up there with one of my favourite snowless winter months due to how dry it was while still being mild. Still it would have been much nicee to have had that in April instead. February 2019 another good one with 21c in London and high teens widely last few days. Also some snow at the start of that month in the south. Seems to be most common to get mild and dry in February rather than earlier in the winter, athough still possible in December such as 1988 / 2016 or January with 1989 / 2022. Winter 1988-89 of course a great winter for those who don't want cold while dry which is understandable.

Back to today and it's a nice day despite airmass not being that warm, it's reaching 12C on the surface, the stronger sun doing wonders.

2 hours ago, SummerShower said:

I wouldnt mind betting the sunshine figures werent far off 2020 either (i dont have acess to sunshine records so just a gut feeling).

Depending on what part of England, 2020 was sunnier by like 10-30 hours:

http://starlingsroost.ddns.net/weather/ukobs/ukgraphs.php?type=monthlyregional&field=year&param=Sunshine&region=England&month=4&anom=

Edited by Metwatch

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!

Lovely sunny day on the Yorkshire Coast, yesterdays strong breeze has subsided, currently 12°c and blue skies, enjoying being outside pottering wearing just a jumper 😎

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny!

I really just want a high pressure system on top of the UK for a week.  It's been months!!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters, warm, early spring, cool, gentle summer, stormy autumn

LetItSnow! 1974 then, I knew one in that period was wet.

Presumably in such a scenario it doesn't take as long to reach 1976 levels today than back then due to the higher temperatures year-round, but especially in the spring-summer drying things out faster.

Posted

Earthshine We did have one for a couple of weeks in January, unfortunately it was the most bogstandard height imaginable so temps were not out of the ordinary. Were it not for the first week which was a hangover from December then January would've been significantly drier than average and the driest since February 2023.

In Absence of True Seasons Ours already started emerging in February 😬

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: In summer, a decent thunderstorm, and hot weather. In winter, snow or gale

CryoraptorA303 re January  2024.  The more i think about it, it actually was quite a good/ interesting month weatherwise.  The 2 week colder and sunny/ frosty spell was bookended by 2 named storms (2nd/21st) that were quite potent here.  The band of rain on the 4th was akin to a more summer like event - with much of it being torrential, the heaviest frontal rain I've ever seen in winter.  So not all this winter was bad.

I am a 'see the positive in everything' type person though, and also acknowledge December and February were pants, with no real redeeming features (apart from Dec 1-2 and perhaps the 27th).

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Lovely day, lots of sunshine, feels pleasant in the sun but chilly in the shade at 12c. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Not at all bad, now the cloud has moved away. I just can't remember the last time I thought 12C in March 'cold'! Back in 2013, it was more like 2! 😁

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow in winter,warm sun in summer!!!!

*Stormforce~beka* ano Becca thats how bad its been we are high fiving when we get a bright day 🤣

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny, cosy and stormy, cold and frosty, some snow

Hands down the sunniest day since January. There’s been blue since dawn even with varying cloud levels. Might have even got my first little bit of colour can ye imagine!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Clear blue skies!

I think I am about to faint...2 nice days in a row with plenty of sunshine? Have the weather gods finally forgiven us? Probably not considering next weeks forecast is pretty dire but it has been nice to finally get a couple of decent days back to back. Last time this happened in my back garden was the 18th & 19th of January!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Had some hail showers here today which was interesting and sunshine in between, but I felt cold in the blustery westerly wind, despite working hard in the garden. Forecast showing low 20’s next weekend 👍🏻 Much more pleasant 

• Like 1

Posted

If you was to have the following for March/April, what would you choose

A. An extension of winter
B. An eternal autumn

Edited by baddie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow

Some eye candy for those of us who are sun and warmth starved on the latest gfs, hopefully our luck is about to change in April, certainly deserve it.

3C9D97C7-6B47-4D98-867C-0024751D8993.png

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1