Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring 2024

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal (but not excessive heat); love cold winters!

Warm and wet. Some like it, others don't. That appears to be the future...Personally, I prefer seasons...but there's a good few on here who 'hate winter'. The absence of one season must surely have consequences for other seasons...?

• Like 1

Posted

SunnyG I think it has to do with how models handle different situations. E.g. I don't think the Met Office are saying their model is universally worse, but perhaps they view the other models as being more reliable at predictions in the context of e.g. April, or a southerly tracking jetstream, or the type of pressure features, etc. Certain models are better at different things.

I would say the one exception is probably the ECM - not universally the case in every situation, but it is generally the most accurate model overall. Doesn't mean of course it is the best in every case.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Lovely Spring day and it’s no April fools joke! Considering it was supposed to be a bit of a washout today , I’m so glad the forecast was wrong!!!

IMG_0924.jpeg

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

Yet another day that was forecast to be a washout. But it's actually been dry so far today and the sun is out. Seems as if the weather can't make its mind up at the moment. I'm certainly not complaining though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: sunny and 20-25C. Winter: crisp and sunny or snowy

Just been for a walk and the sunny spells felt pleasantly warm, almost enough to make me take my hoodie off!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool summers.

Lacking a true spring feel so far, despite the warmer than average temperatures. There's been so much rain and cloud, even strong winds at times, that it's just felt like autumn rather than spring. The same pattern will continue into April for the forseeable future. A nice ridge with chilly nights and pleasantly mild days. Or even just for climatic normality, a Scandi high - or a northerly wind with the final tastes of winter with a novel snow cover to contrast with the daffodils and blossom, all things once possible... but now, just a forboding gloom that feels more typical of late October. I wasn't really feeling the effects of it until something switched. There's almost the feeling that the weather is being peverse on purprose. 🤣

Posted

LetItSnow! In a weather rut, possibly a combo of the anomalous warm SSTs and waning El Nino. Hardly any variation from the westerly to southerly airmasses. Not sure what will shake us out of it, but a change will come, it always does, and usually when least expected!

Posted

damianslaw I do feel a climb down of global temperatures combined with a probable La Niña will open the possibilities of some more interesting, seasonable weather in the 2025-2027 window and dare I say something more prone to the white stuff! 2024 has got 1903, 1974, 1998, 2007, 2011 etc written all over it; freaky, unseasonable, unreliable... 

Posted

LetItSnow! Yes having a feeling 2024 could end up in the warm and very wet category, 1998 just keeps springing to mind.. I hope not, but just not feeling this year at all. 

• Like 1

Posted

damianslaw Would be quite unlucky to get two dud years in a row. Say what you want about the 2010s but even amongst the dross, each year seemed to provide a mixed bag and pleasant conditions that were more than a month and there was variability. Sort of makes you realise how dire things are that you are nostalgic for the 2010s climatically! I remember us thinking how **** it was...

• Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BWh

Our options seem to be hot and wet or hot and dry for summer, I'm still leaning towards hot and dry. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb

March 2024 Summary

A mild, exceptionally wet and cloudy month.

WHAIkgZ.png

Temperature: +1.5c
Rainfall: 219%
Sunshine: 82%

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Turned out to be a nice day here despite the Met Office automated forecast showing cloud all day. Currently 14C and partly cloudy.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Pretty nice day today, lots of sunny spells. Warm in the sun. 

Posted
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

It has felt like it's been raining for weeks now and many of us are looking for a prolonged dry spell.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

B87 That really is dire for the southeast! At least I skimmed 100 hours in both January and March (only just though).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: continental climate

Meanwhile at my home another advection of hot air incomming. Already had +26°C Yesterday in Slovakia.

ecmwf-roava-sk-4875n-205 (2).png

• Insightful 1

Posted

Posted

March 2024 anomalies:

Warmer than average for most...

image.thumb.png.3a28fad5ca0823eec9e3d4af0b6763a5.png

...wetter than average for many....

image.thumb.png.073eeb9808ec9e3419bdcdd4b8018e2d.png

duller than average for most. Only above average for the far NW of Scotland...

image.thumb.png.92d960c8bc2bdac9479219d0828b1533.png

And the actual values just for reference....

image.thumb.png.c314b425b0b586e98f598a2de5c1f64a.png

image.thumb.png.0ce7cea3675aef886bd1a2f12818bdcd.png

image.thumb.png.beb30249566e6ae64bbaab097d6e0a58.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

danm 10th warmest March for the CET after the 2nd warmest February. The blowtorch goes on. The 1991-2020 average hides how exceptionally mild it was. Probably because March is one of the earliest months to rapidly warm up in the late 1980s onward.

image.thumb.png.b0e19e3d6a15376d0774bf3bbc2a4563.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

One interesting observation this spring is that as a result of the depressed sunshine and to a lesser degree maxima, while they got a very early start in late Feb, the majority of trees are still barely budding. It's the grass and flowers that seem quite happy. 

I was looking through my photos and contrasted to this day in 2020 when i had a full park of blossom, it was quite stark. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.

summer blizzard I have noticed this. Everything looks properly bleak. It will be well into April before trees and many of the plants are properly in bloom.

Other than the grass. In fact, a big chunk of the lawn in our back garden has actually transitioned from grass, to moss! How wonderful! The ground there is like pure sponge. Very similar to the ground on my hikes in Iceland, or the Scottish Highlands. Understandable in Iceland or the Cairngorms, but quite a thing to see in my own garden in South East England. Never seen it before in the garden here.