Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Spring Has Sprung

Message added by Paul,

Please read the model discussion guidelines  before posting into this thread.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool summers.

The last two GFS runs are playing with the idea of a waft of very warm/hot air to our south-east as we enter May but with low pressure nearby as always. The 12z shows the risk of the Atlantic sweeping it away and remaining cool whereas the 6z was more of a unstable scenario with warm air aloft on an easterly for a time, but the risk of cloud and rain also and perhaps thunder.

Warm air surging northeastwards with already weak pressure in place is a recipe for low pressure so I expect unsettled conditions to persist into early May. Whether it's of the cool and breezy kind or warm and thundery kind is unknown. I wouldn't be surprised if a few hot runs pop up. What with the similarities to 1998 I've talked about I wouldn't be all that surprised if warmer weather arrives soon.

Regardless, both low pressure dominated scenarios can be quite convective.

image.thumb.png.a69bfc702f21a5c9f2e4bb73afab4439.pngimage.thumb.png.53745709c3825bee32c3b38dfef32c7e.png

image.thumb.png.6a79b81aefd0a6226e44acc64ff6b169.pngimage.thumb.png.043e6f18d8e15e5f095a18831f9d2adf.png

• Like 7
  • Insightful 1

Posted

Interesting ECM meteogram tonight. Unusually high confidence given the time horizon I would say. Suggestion of a continued cool or very cool pattern for the next few days, then high confidence in a brief switch to something more southerly and much warmer around the turn of the month, but then indications as we go further into May of a cooldown again back to close to average or a little below with more in the way of northerlies, albeit a long way off at this stage so could still change.

image.thumb.png.1a4aea08d1242afc6d3abe8a60e278fc.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Just take whatever is offered.

WYorksWeather it all depends now I think on the zonal winds and if a zonal winds recovery is predicted.   At the moment our zonal winds are negative, i did see on world climate service x account that next month that we are meant to be having a negative AO/NAO combo.  The way i see it is they are probably right.      

• Like 1

Posted

Too far out but odd sign of improvement. This spring has been absolutely dire. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
37 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Late season SSW is disastrous for Spring so I always get a feeling of dread when we see SSW's in late Winter.

Precisely, just posted this in the moans thread. This time of year always has a greater likelihood of northern blocking, but a late season SSW simply locks in a pattern of high latitude blocking for far longer than we’d otherwise expect, which more often than not results in the UK being a trough magnet or keeping us under cool northerly or easterly winds. It happened last year too. 

Until this works its way through the trop, we’re unlikely to get anything substantially warm and dry until mid May at the earliest. 

Edited by danm
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, heat, sunshine, hail. Basically Seasonal.

Certainty on models have been quite good for the past few weeks, although there is some uncertainties past day 6 on majority this morning. 

Of course the likelihood of a dry settled warm spell seems unlikely, but there were hints a few days ago, and the MET ensembles for 192 seems a little interested in the idea. Icon also interested this morning on a decent ridge from the Azores. 

Wouldn't rule anything else, seems the uncertainty is coming from the stratosphere behaviour I believe. We all know how rapidly changes can occur. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and dry, or very cold. See my profile for model trivia
On 23/04/2024 at 12:48, Rain All Night said:

0z deterministic runs, out to Tue 30 Apr (day 7)

animnky3.gifanimrxa1.gifanimmlc1.gif

0z ensemble means, out to Wed 8 May (day 15)

It is as yet far from clear that the ridging activity that is evident from the Azores high in the first week of May is going to reach the shores of Britain... it currently seems that more ensemble members are going for it pushing up unhelpfully to our west instead...

animeim5.gifanimckm7.gifanimluu3.gif

We have now entered the four month period of the year with the best solar input... my frustration levels rapidly increase if we don't see favourable synoptic patterns during this precious time!

0z deterministic runs, out to Wed 1 May (day 7)

Could we see that warmer easterly right at the beginning of May? Both flavours of ECM plus the UKMO seem to think it's possible...

animvyv7.gifanimzzf6.gifanimfcr8.gif
animshp7.gifanimgcx4.gifanimtcp8.gif

0z ensemble means, out to Thu 9 May (day 15)

The ECM mean wants to support its op on the idea of warmer air coming in briefly from the east right at the beginning of May. Beyond that we have clear signs of anticyclonic activity in our vicinity in early May, but with an equally clear risk that this will remain too far to our west or southwest for us to warm up.

animowh3.gifanimspm3.gifanimivm0.gif

Why did it feel so darn cold when I woke up this morning?!

Current temperature (colours) and wind (lines) at 850hPa (left) and at the surface (right), screenshotted from https://earth.nullschool.net/ at something like 10am this morning.

image.thumb.png.055dc3db88edb1cb12173d94dc4e8f5a.pngimage.thumb.png.497536f39e35dbeb88ab0f48a4964966.png

Edited by Rain All Night
  • Like 6
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and dry, or very cold. See my profile for model trivia

Ooh hello:

image.thumb.png.999f604cc7371d697c8d802c103fd763.png

• Like 6

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

image.thumb.png.bbef399d2f527fc8ad00890134482437.png

Something to watch but signs of a WWB progressing east into May which may generate mid-lattitude blocking closer to mid month. 

• Like 4

Posted

Evening all 🙂

Early stages in viewing the 12Z output but, other than GFS, there seems broad agreement for the LP to end up just to the west of the British Isles by next Monday introducing South or South westerly winds so something a bit warmer or less cool for many.

12Z GFS OP goes a slightly different route keeping the LP to the south and building heights to the north after which it's a north-south split under an E'ly airflow. Dry to the north but windy but with the trough in charge further south a greater chance of rain or showers and quite high rainfall totals for the far south up to the first May Bank Holiday weekend. Control is more unsettled until far FI.

ECM at T+168 follows to an extent with a good old-fashioned late April easterly (GFS 12Z OP at T+168 next to it for comparison):

image.thumb.png.b9e0786458d13b53344bd835c226cbb4.pngimage.thumb.png.dd1afefecbe0e2618941810a1f28768f.png

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1

Posted

Still hard to see much of a warmup on the cards, especially further north, if the 12z GFS turns out to be anywhere near the mark. Still early days for my thoughts on May.

gfs-leeds-gb-54n-15w(4).thumb.png.e056451f4ad38131b22940f873a829ed.png

Looking even further ahead, as I mentioned a stronger polar vortex than normal going into May is a positive sign for at least the early summer. The ECM forecast fits this idea - maybe a sign to watch out for, though we still have a few days left for the forecast to change before the start of May itself.

image.thumb.png.1198d283d8ee9a294c0bb86e83d171ba.png

The ECM 00z meteogram (don't have time to wait for the 12z) shows temperatures recovering and moving above average by the turn of the month, but it's hardly anything spectacular. Wouldn't surprise me if we scrape an odd day or two into the high teens or low 20s, especially further south, but it's not anything to write home about really by this point in the year.

image.thumb.png.cb6c504d5cd01ac614c3d38d87059fa7.png

Beyond the turn of the month at this early stage we still see a tendency for things to turn cooler again with a further northerly outbreak.

Summary

In short, plenty of time for things to change from here, but right now it looks like a very low chance of seeing anything notably warm in the next 10 days or so. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰
On 11/04/2024 at 20:28, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

As shown in my post from October and other occasions a negative PNA can lead to a cold - potentially significantly cold temperature anomaly from the Northeast-East

pna.jpg

Recent GFS outputs.

gfs-T2ma-nhem-fh264-384.gifgfs-T2ma-nhem-fh270-384.gif

gfs-T2ma-nhem-fh300-384.gifgfs-T2ma-nhem-fh252-384.gif

gfs-T2ma-nhem-fh228-384.gifgfs-T2ma-nhem-fh282-384.gif

Quite exceptional performance from the GFS particularly with the European cold anomalies.

On 17/04/2024 at 22:06, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

Overall a prolonged period with below average temperatures will continue with some significant anomalies across Europe in particular, we then look during April week 4 as the High retrograde gets going for these below average conditions to extend into the UK > Ireland.

The UK, Europe and North + Northwest Africa Cold Anomaly can be noted here within recent MJO feedback.

Screenshot-20240424-164901-Chrome.jpgScreenshot-20240424-164937-Chrome.jpg

gem-ens-T2ma-nhem-15.pnggem-ens-T2ma-nhem-19.png

gem-ens-T2ma-nhem-23.pnggfs-ens-T2ma-nhem-14.png

gfs-ens-T2ma-nhem-18.png

On 17/04/2024 at 22:06, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

Screen-Shot-2021-09-07-at-4-55-39-PM.png

During the latter stage of April week 3 through April week 4 the Atlantic and Ireland-UK high will begin to take on the MJO and PNA feedback of blocking to our Northeast > Scandinavia and Russia, this will also retrograde into Iceland and Greenland as discussed prior with a good representation of many of the major European weather regimes / teleconnective feedback.

gem-ens-mslpa-eu-fh-72-114.gifgfs-ens-mslpa-eu-fh-72-108.gif

As low pressure interacts with the below average temperature airmass we'll have a mix of wintry conditions with increasing precip moving in tonight combining with a Lowering Isotherm this will fall as snow particularly across Northern Scotland and parts of Northern England, predominantly higher elevations with accumulating snow though mixing of sleet snow and maybe hail can't be ruled out at low levels. We'll have the 528 dam and low isotherm values present for a number of days especially for Northern England and Scotland with a focal point clinging onto the North Sea Coastlines. We'll see multiple chilly nights with frosts for some areas worth noting for gardeners, all in all very noteworthy given its April week 4.

gem-asnow24-eu-fh24-150-1.gifanimypx0.gif

animbgm6.gifnmm-uk1-45-36-0-2.png

animytu7.gifanimniq5.gif

Could be a brief window for above average temperatures during the first days of May as High Pressure looks to build to our East.

gem-ens-T850a-eu-fh-72-186.gifgem-ens-T2ma-eu-fh-72-186.gif

gfs-ens-T850a-eu-fh-72-186.gifgfs-ens-T2ma-eu-fh-72-186.gif

Currently this looks to be brief warmth as this high retrogrades and reinforces the prominent theme for further high pressure and blocking to our North Northeast and particularly Northwest with trends hinting at the Atlantic Ridge regime by May week 2 with further trough developments to our East & NorthEast.

animvpw3.gifanimvpw3.gif

gfs-ens-z500a-nhem-65-10.pnggfs-ens-z500a-nhem-fh-72-384-1.gif

All fits excellently with feedback of El Ninò, IOBW warm phase, SSW, PNA and NAO in particular.

20240203-181715.jpg20231118-060306.png

Credit JMA

Screenshot-20240424-212214-Chrome.jpgScreenshot-20240424-212245-Chrome.jpg

Screenshot-20240424-212319-Chrome.jpgScreenshot-20240424-212356-Chrome.jpg

Screenshot-20240424-212427-Chrome.jpgScreenshot-20240424-212453-Chrome.jpg

🧙‍♂️KW

• Thanks 2
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Just take whatever is offered.

WYorksWeather I agree with @summer blizzardon this to be honest with you.   Hovmoller plots are probably a better proxy to look at than ensembles.   We need to be careful with what we use and interpret.    

if we can get some westerly interia going then it shouldn't be too bad at all.   I also supported the very sensible post by @Mike Pooleearlier as well and think that clusters should never be dismissed.   

I feel also that the ECMWF 0Z ensemble mean was encouraging today, not necessarily for heatwaves but shall we say for a bit of a drying trend with a mid Atlantic ridge.    

• Thanks 1