Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow reports 1st-14th January 2008

Guest megaweather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: autumn, winter, cold, sunny, snow, crisp

hi has snowed on and off since early afternoon. earlier i said i'd post a short video (mobile phone) but its too big to upload.

so here are a couple of pics. the first one is the car park at work at about 4pm (douglas east coast) and the others are later in the day 7pm ish in Peel (my home town west coast at sea level).

we were progged possibly maybe wintry showers on a blustery wind. we actually got more than we bargined for!

there are 4 closed road orders at this moment due to snow and ice in and around the centre of the island (Snaefell) and there was at least one accident earlier in the evening on a minor road in the west due to the conditions.

i'm dead chuffed the 8 yr old in me is now willing it to do it ALL NIGHT, but sadly i think we've seen the last of the ppn.

sorry to those who havent had any when it was progged and yipppeee to those who got some. roll on the rest of winter - will we see any more? ?tuesday.....

take care, stay safe, and God bless all who are working in this tonight.

post-1879-1199400286_thumb.jpg

post-1879-1199400317_thumb.jpg

post-1879-1199400585_thumb.jpg

post-1879-1199400661_thumb.jpg

Posted
hi has snowed on and off since early afternoon. earlier i said i'd post a short video (mobile phone) but its too big to upload.

so here are a couple of pics. the first one is the car park at work at about 4pm (douglas east coast) and the others are later in the day 7pm ish in Peel (my home town west coast at sea level).

we were progged possibly maybe wintry showers on a blustery wind. we actually got more than we bargined for!

there are 4 closed road orders at this moment due to snow and ice in and around the centre of the island (Snaefell) and there was at least one accident earlier in the evening on a minor road in the west due to the conditions.

i'm dead chuffed the 8 yr old in me is now willing it to do it ALL NIGHT, but sadly i think we've seen the last of the ppn.

sorry to those who havent had any when it was progged and yipppeee to those who got some. roll on the rest of winter - will we see any more? ?tuesday.....

take care, stay safe, and God bless all who are working in this tonight.

Sorry but your post just reminded me of something i've been meaning to find out? does "Snaefel" mean snow hill?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter, dry in summer.

Snowed on and off all day in Hexham. 10cm approx. in total.

Still very wintry and -0.1C.

More to come?

Good day!

John

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Ice

Snaefell is indeed the Norse for Snow Hill

Posted
Snaefell is indeed the Norse for Snow Hill

wow!!! that's cool to think a cold country like norway calling a mountain in such a modern day nation like The Isle Of Man, "snow hill". How times have changed!!?? :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, Snow, Thunder
here's a couple of shots of york earlier today!!!! 1000012mo2.jpg 1000019eq0.jpg 1000014ul3.jpgthe second one i love!!! real christmas card stuff, i'll be posting alot more in the near future

I've got some of the heavy stuff in york from this morning on video, i'll try and put it online tomorrow and put a link on here!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: autumn, winter, cold, sunny, snow, crisp

hi cyclonic and jimben - yes you're correct, snaefell = snow hill in Norse. the island was conquered over a thousand years ago by the Vikings, who left behind a rich heritage and the longest running parliment in the world. many place names have basis in Norse language and many others are in Manx, our native language. but hey i'm off topic! both of you are welcome to PM me if you'd like to have more info on the Island. good luck lamp-post watching tonight - i think we've seen the last here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

moderate snow, but not settling

Posted

Mainly light snow all evening, enough to give a partial dusting. Now some bigger flakes so that will hopefuly start to accumulate.

Took a wee drive into the moors earlier.. blizzard conditions and the road was not ploughed. Wee bit of fun :)

Posted

Is it still snowing anywhere?

Its snowing heavily here, just under 1 inch just now, its started to lay on the roads as well, which have been heavily gritted.

This is way better than last year, i`m pleased.

Posted

I live in the NW of N.Ireland. there was no snow forecast for us. Just freezing temperatures. We now have nearly 2 inches of snow. A total surprise. The only snow that we were expecting was some time tommorow we the breakdown from cold to mild begins. It would be nice if this winter throws up another few surprises like this!!

Posted

Started snowing last night at about 20:00, came down so quickly I didn't notice until we had about an inch. Woke up to two or three inches this morning. Had fantastic thunder storm through the night.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzards and frost.

yep its coming, temp here -2.7c with a dew point of .-3.1c, very overcast, and very frosty.

Edited by stormforce 10

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Ice

post-7823-1199438437_thumb.jpg

Langdale, Lake District, this morning - as near perfect a winters scene as you can wish for

Edited by jimben

Posted

Had a covering of snow yesteryday evening. It then rained and melted all though snow, however this morning everything is white and frozen with about 4cm lying and -1c.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Got 2 inches this morning but its already melting so the milder air is setting in pretty quickly