Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm/convective Discussion 26th June >>

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unexpected gusts of wind, and cumulus clouds in rude and amusing shapes.

Anything coming from the cell NW of Birmingham? It's looking quite decent on radar but not sure if it's electrified or not.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Well if today was supposed to be the main event then I'm glad Somerset had a nice little prelude last night with some fantastic storms, the smallest of which reached my area but nevermind. It shows the potential was there. Today has just been cool and wet ending with a reasonably pleasant evening.

Posted

So, a disappointing day here in the SE (no, I'm not moaning, complaining, wingeing or b!tching) but there was so much promise from pretty well all the models, websites, radar and detector stations. I'm sure an analysis will take place afterwards but I'd be interested to see why this year is being so difficult here. (and no! I'm not an IMBY either!!).

Still, thinking positively, there are lots of days of potential left with this weekend and a few days next week that might provide something.

I'm genuinely pleased for everyone who gets big storms, but our time must be soon surely?

Edited by Coast

Posted

The cells over Devon / Somerset earlier produced a bit of electrical activity and showed what could have happened if the murky cloud had cleared earlier. 20C was enough to trigger small storms in a very unstable atmosphere. Should be a lot hotter on Saturday so isolated storms a possibility.

Posted

my claim to fame - or just pot luck? :rolleyes: (or did i jinx it all! :lol: ) from last night :(

:D

Doesnt matter really, plenty tomorrow in the afternoon. :)

I wouldn't bet any money yet, especially after what happened on 25 May! I'd assume make the most of what you have tonight guys! :wub:

Edited by maidstone weather

Posted
my claim to fame - or just pot luck? :rolleyes: (or did i jinx it all! :lol: ) from last night :(

I wouldn't bet any money yet, especially after what happened on 25 May! I'd assume make the most of what you have tonight guys! :wub:

met office changed their forecast to 30 degrees on monday. bring on the heat :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms
Well if today was supposed to be the main event then I'm glad Somerset had a nice little prelude last night with some fantastic storms, the smallest of which reached my area but nevermind. It shows the potential was there. Today has just been cool and wet ending with a reasonably pleasant evening.

Yes glad we had a bit of a storm last night, otherwise today would have been even more disappointing

One shot from yesterday evening

IMG_6899.jpg

Bridgewater did well last night on the storm front. Great shot.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms
So, a disappointing day here in the SE (no, I'm not moaning, complaining, wingeing or b!tching) but there was so much promise from pretty well all the models, websites, radar and detector stations. I'm sure an analysis will take place afterwards but I'd be interested to see why this year is being so difficult here. (and no! I'm not an IMBY either!!).

Still, thinking positively, there are lots of days of potential left with this weekend and a few days next week that might provide something.

I'm genuinely pleased for everyone who gets big storms, but our time must be soon surely?

Hi all,

Back in sunny SE England - what a crap week to be away by the sounds of it :D still, nice to come back to some real nice warmth and humidity.

Quite pleased to see the above, which is not meant nastily in anyway, but I had a real bad feeling I was going to miss some decent storms, what with all the heat, humidity and sunshine at Wimbledon!

Portugal yielded nothing in the form of precipitation let alone thundery activity, which was a shame but far from expected to be fair - temps in the low 30s most days, with minimal cloud seen on a couple of days.

Cant say I have ever seen such depression charts - I thought the ones already in 2009 were 'slit your wrist' stuff - but to see such high (even huge relatively speaking) CAPE and LI values right the way through the week, to the North, South and West but never once hinting about coming close until 7 days from now, is horrendous!!

The best thing to take from this I suppose is the fact its going to stay v warm or hot, looking likely to stay humid too, so any kink in the charts could spell success for the SE - the yellow and increasingly crunchy grass could do with the water I feel :D

Edited by Harry

Posted
yeah just spotted that for London - and heavy showers (storms?) on Tuesday :D

I wouldn't bet any money yet, especially after what happened on 25 May! :D

Posted

So relieved that i never went camping.

Had an almighty downpour not long ago, still raining now but rather light, what is most surprising is how the rain has had little effect on the temperature at all this evening as its remained between 18-19c.

Posted

A grudging sigh of agreement from me, the dissapointment hits hard. It's hard to come down after such a promising setup just evaporates (no pun intended)

If you look at the distribution of Met Office warnings over the last 24 hrs, they move from the South through to the midlands like a passing front, as they were nowcasting the changing conditions. Surely forecasting is supposed to provide us something more than just, reactions to the weather, as it does what it wants.

I would prefer sometimes, to go back to the way it used to be, when, you would never know about impending storms until a few hours before. If they happened, great, but if they didn't, you hadn't wasted 3 days web watching waiting for them.

Bugger :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Still/Hot or extremes. Fog/Damp etc boring...
I would prefer sometimes, to go back to the way it used to be, when, you would never know about impending storms until a few hours before. If they happened, great, but if they didn't, you hadn't wasted 3 days web watching waiting for them.

So true.. haha. I didnt hold up much hope today being out all day and watching the sky nothing around here looked like it was really developing - even when the sun came out.

Posted
Anything coming from the cell NW of Birmingham? It's looking quite decent on radar but not sure if it's electrified or not.

Moderate/heavy rain but no sferics. 3rd intense dowmpour of the day. But with not a rumble of thunder all day either.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unexpected gusts of wind, and cumulus clouds in rude and amusing shapes.
Moderate/heavy rain but no sferics. 3rd intense dowmpour of the day. But with not a rumble of thunder all day either.

Thought as much with lack of posts from the West Midlands area. Looks like all electrical activity has ceased, though there are showers continuing in my area and I imagine will do so for a few hours - nothing of interest though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms
jay Wyne 31oc next week.now surely theres got to be a thundery breakdown

Please dont say your looking towards the breakdown already! :D

Enjoy the heat and then look forward to anything thundery.

Posted

well Blizzards you have 6 TS in your Sig this year....I have none :D

Im not counting 7 crash bang whollops as a TS..lol

Im UK Storm Starved

Edited by dogs32

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Well i decided not to storm chase this evening, probably a good thing I didn't as would have been a waste of time. :D

Next week looks like the perfect summer set up... hot temperatures and thunderstorms. Not sure we will see anything in Derby but I can hope.

I'm now interested in tomorrow as i will chase if it looks worth it. Any idea of the kind of temps likely to be required to allow storms to develop?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms
well Blizzards you have 6 TS in your Sig this year....I have none :D

Im not counting 7 crash bang whollops as a TS..lol

Im UK Storm Starved

Lol, it has gone quiet again at the moment lately. Next week could change things but luck here can be terrible here sometimes!

Posted
Lol, it has gone quiet again at the moment lately. Next week could change things but luck here can be terrible here sometimes!

lol...I love the Sun.cant wait for the hot days....But it would be so nice to see a decent storm here for a change......Next week looks promising but will it get downgraded we will see..If it does I hope the sun holds on

Posted
jay Wyne 31oc next week.now surely theres got to be a thundery breakdown

I wouldn't bet any money yet, especially after what happened on 25 May! :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

Wow I've just looked on the MetOffice and they're actually forecasting 30C in Cheltenham on Tuesday now :D:D

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/sw/...ecast_temp.html