Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Grit has been pretty useless here this evening. The roads are shocking but after the snowfall im not surprised. No let up in this Heavy snow and looks like that stuff from the South could get here too. Amazing.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, Thunderstorms, Snow

HOW CAN THE PPN JUST SOUTH OF BIRMINGHAM VANISH WITHIN 5 MINUTES! I hope its just a radar malfunction lol! Anyway i have between 1 and 2 inches cover here in Whittington, nr Lichfieldbiggrin.gif

Posted

Newbie question time again :cold:

Having just looked at the NW radar is the snow travelling northwards over Oxford likely to circulate NW towards Brum?

May seem like a daft question but I am still trying to get my head around all of this weather mullarkey (it is fun though) :cold:

Hi.

It could go either way, but I'm quietly optimistic. Try these radar links - they seem to show the centre of the low moving further north than anticipated, but that could just be wishful thinking on my part.

Kind regards,

Mike.

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

http://www.meteox.co...oom&x=195&y=198

http://www.sat24.com/gb

http://www.metoffice...ather/uk/radar/

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Newbie question time again :cold:

Having just looked at the NW radar is the snow travelling northwards over Oxford likely to circulate NW towards Brum?

May seem like a daft question but I am still trying to get my head around all of this weather mullarkey (it is fun though) :cold:

Yes, it is circulating towards the Brum metropolis, however the LP centre is showing signs of moving from its stalled position and begin a gradual slide SSE....Nowcasting is the name of the game, as I believe the LP has stalled longer than anticipated :)

Well the netweather radar shows nothing at over my postcode , and it shows nothing coming unless the south stuff gets here... Only trouble is just looked out the window and it is still bucketing it down with snow !!! the sky also looks full of it.

there does seem to be a slight glitch with the NW radar over the past hour, not sure why though

Posted

Got a dusting on all surfaces in Telford now.

10cm more then this cold spell can no longer be counted as the most overhyped event of the 21st Century :cold:

Posted

This may sound daft, and I havn't look at the radar yet (and I am far from knowledgable!) But I look at the snow risk chart and over the mids it is showing reds and pinks (meaning snow and heavy snow) from now right through to about midday tomorrow. Is this right? Or am I too hopeful?!

Posted

what the f**ks going on then lol?

I don't know , but I am not complaining. I can tell you this was forecast totally different to whats happened, I think from now on it's anybody's guess

Posted

Right, time for a precipitation track map. this is about the feature to the south east.

The basics apply, red heaviest, blue lightest. Green somewhere in the middle.

post-10818-12627230402252_thumb.png

Edited by Hailsowen

Posted

HOW CAN THE PPN JUST SOUTH OF BIRMINGHAM VANISH WITHIN 5 MINUTES! I hope its just a radar malfunction lol! Anyway i have between 1 and 2 inches cover here in Whittington, nr Lichfieldbiggrin.gif

Yes that is strange ...... :cold:

Edit: Yeah i think it is , It's still snowing quite moderately here and it's telling me there's nothing.

Edited by mildmuck

Posted

Well the netweather radar shows nothing at over my postcode , and it shows nothing coming unless the south stuff gets here... Only trouble is just looked out the window and it is still bucketing it down with snow !!! the sky also looks full of it.

I believe that the radar is sett up to detect rain - other types of precipitation can confuse it or simply don't show up. During the heavy snow here earlier on today, the METO radar showed clear skies.

It's a funny old world!

Regards,

Mike.

Posted

Right, time for a precipitation track map:

Looks promising, but this situ seems to be changing on a regional basis by the hour. Me thinks this system is sticking two fingers up to computer models and saying "i'll do what i want, when i want!"

Posted

I don't know , but I am not complaining. I can tell you this was forecast totally different to whats happened, I think from now on it's anybody's guess

well the weird thing is meto and all other radars have it vanishing aswell. maybe its not a glitch? anyone else under a place where it supposedly vanished got any update on whether its still snowing?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

The radar is in glitch mode! You can tell when bits suddenly go missing and Precip on the radar looks fuzzy!

Edited by Blizzards

Posted

Right, time for a precipitation track map. this is about the feature to the south east.

You missed the red arrow up to Nottingham NG5 :blink:

Posted

nice dusting in Telford. Also bigger snow flakes aswell. Lets just hope it lasts for awhile :blink:

Posted

My first post ever to say that we have 10cm deep snow yahoo.gif in Edgbaston, it still snowing albeit more lightly now with medium size flakes. Looking at the radar, I think it will fizzle out for a few hours ...before starting again I hope?

Edited by dewei

Posted

I just can't believe what I'm seeing! Heavy snowfall with thick flakes! Just like when I was a kid, this is just amazing! If this carried on throughout the night we could be looking at 4" by tomorrow morning! The streets are deserted, barely anyone on the roads when normally they would be fairly populated. Incredible night!

Take some pics if u can pal

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Probably fantasy, but what I would give for that LP to stall out for the next 12 hours...It would swing that SE arm of heavy snow right up through the entire midlands!!!.....but alas, the LP is starting to shunt southwards....BOOOO HIIIIS!!