Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

East Anglia & South East Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

I have a feeling looking at the radar sequence that anyone currently more than 30 miles east of the precipitation is unlikely to recieve more than 5cm from the main low. The main pulse through the home counties appears, according to the MetO radar, to be starting to pivot west, and I will suspect 2130-2220 is whern it will/should be hitting its northern / Eastern limits. I expect West Herts and south Beds will get around 15-20cm. With everything moving anti-clockwise around the surface depression the same areas will continue to see the snow for several hours. After 2200 will be interesting to see if the low shifts any further east before slipping and decaying SW. There is a seperate line that will move NE giving most parts 5cm and this line culd stall in the early hrs giving larger totals to the lucky spots. The decaying low will also drift over most parts tommorow and merge with the squall line.

Those who feel hard done by remember that most models agree on an E/NE developing by Thurs so plenty more time to see a good covering over the next 10 days.

Dan - If you are reading, get on here and update the radar situation lol!

Posted

Ever had that feeling you can see what is exactly going to happen on the radar scan when you run it through your head.

My Guess - And it's only a guess

The band is pivoting as Steve says to the North and swinging around on it's eastern edge, it looks to me like the band could be almost horizontal by Midnight - 2am and lie from Oxfordshire across most of Bucks, then down through West London and across to Surrey and Western Kent, dont know if the Northern Extent will get as far as North London, obviously they are seeing snow now as they are far enough west but the accumulations for the Jackpot totals are going to be where the band just "sits" in the zone I just highlighted, now I'd expect this to move Southwards and east tomorrow giving Eastern kent much more snow during tomorrow afternoon, this is why the Meto have not Highlighted Essex, Suffolk, Norfolk and Cambs, just my opinion so dont shoot me if I am wrong LOL

Paul S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Blizzards,Hot Thundery nights.

Is it my imagination or is the snow going to be further north than forecast ? lol 1st it was going to go north south as a front,then central southern,with a small low, now se, the plot thickens.Dont think i have ever seen such an event.Tbh i would love to have snow but its just been great watching this unfold,and who ever gets snow enjoy.

Posted

I have a feeling looking at the radar sequence that anyone currently more than 30 miles east of the precipitation is unlikely to recieve more than 5cm from the main low. The main pulse through the home counties appears, according to the MetO radar, to be starting to pivot west, and I will suspect 2130-2220 is whern it will/should be hitting its northern / Eastern limits. I expect West Herts and south Beds will get around 15-20cm. With everything moving anti-clockwise around the surface depression the same areas will continue to see the snow for several hours. After 2200 will be interesting to see if the low shifts any further east before slipping and decaying SW. There is a seperate line that will move NE giving most parts 5cm and this line culd stall in the early hrs giving larger totals to the lucky spots. The decaying low will also drift over most parts tommorow and merge with the squall line.

Those who feel hard done by remember that most models agree on an E/NE developing by Thurs so plenty more time to see a good covering over the next 10 days.

Dan - If you are reading, get on here and update the radar situation lol!

A nice and clear post, thanks!:D

So us in st. Albans may get some decent snow?

Edited by saint

Posted

Ever had that feeling you can see what is exactly going to happen on the radar scan when you run it through your head.

My Guess - And it's only a guess

The band is pivoting as Steve says to the North and swinging around on it's eastern edge, it looks to me like the band could be almost horizontal by Midnight - 2am and lie from Oxfordshire across most of Bucks, then down through West London and across to Surrey and Western Kent, dont know if the Northern Extent will get as far as North London, obviously they are seeing snow now as they are far enough west but the accumulations for the Jackpot totals are going to be where the band just "sits" in the zone I just highlighted, now I'd expect this to move Southwards and east tomorrow giving Eastern kent much more snow during tomorrow afternoon, this is why the Meto have not Highlighted Essex, Suffolk, Norfolk and Cambs, just my opinion so dont shoot me if I am wrong LOL

Paul S

Well they added in GT London to the METO warnings Paul, so there is a bit of easterly movement in the low

Posted

Lol Tim - Yes exactly how I see it as well, you must have read my mind and me yours!

So that's 2 of us with that scenario!

Paul S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

I literally am biting my nails at the moment. I may just be at about the northern extent of where the snow will move. I could be a tad too far north, or just within. An anxious couple of hours to come. west London is looking good at the moment.

Posted

Just started snowing in Tunbridge Wells - nothing significant yet - but the main band is right behind!

Kold, well done - you were right about the more easterly track yesterday!

MM

Posted

Snow mentioned in the Stanstead TAF earlier on

LONDON/STANSTED EGSS 051703Z 0518/0624 20005KT 9999 SCT030 BECMG 0518/0521 09010KT PROB30 TEMPO 0518/0524 3000 SN BKN005 BECMG 0523/0601 5000 -SN BR BKN010 TEMPO 0600/0616 1000 SN BKN002 BECMG 0612/0615 01010KT 9999 NSW FEW030

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: April!

Patience, my boy...

Good things come to those who.........

The potential for EA after tonight's 'Little' (cough) mishap further south is rather spanking

Tue - J

Yes, looking good for this area over the next few days. There is a possibility that any ppn tomorrow could be a little bit sleety near the coast but after that the NE or ENE comes in and we should be in a prime location for decent falls!

Posted

Lol Tim - Yes exactly how I see it as well, you must have read my mind and me yours!

So that's 2 of us with that scenario!

Paul S

So Paul that band that is currently heading straight towards me you expect to stall and not make this far up?