Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Location: Putney, SW London. A miserable 14m asl....but nevertheless the lucky recipient of c 20cm of snow in 12 hours 1-2 Feb 2009!
  • Location: Putney, SW London. A miserable 14m asl....but nevertheless the lucky recipient of c 20cm of snow in 12 hours 1-2 Feb 2009!

Doesn't Ludlow sit at some 1000ft? Got news from there that it's raining. You must be lucky!

No - there's a river running through it.

Not quite sure if having a river stops you being at 1000ft, but I agree that in England if it's of any size it makes it a lot less likely!

Even along the valley of the River Teme, Ludlow seems to be all above 80 meters (260 ft). Around the castle above, and into the old town centre, it's more like 350 ft (107 m). And in the new developments to the north-east it rises to nearly 130 m, or 420 ft+. That may not be 1000 ft, but it's enough to make a big difference in the borderline snow stakes.

Edited by osmposm

Posted

None in Worcester but at home in Malvern we have a goods few inches. Urgh. That means I have to walk part of the way home because the stupid bus isn't running and British camp is closed because of the snow. FABULOUS.

Anyone can have my snow if they want it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Not one flake of snow all day. Light rain for much of the day. Very poorly forecasted once again.

Posted

Hi Folks

Drove from Manchester to Nottingham via Buxton this afternoon, lots of lying snow still in the peak district, but nothing falling from the sky, and still dry here in Nottingham. Looks like the forecasts were correct, so we may just get a bit of drizzle here later this evening...

Cheers

FC

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Well i've won the £1 bet then :(

One of my friends had a bet with a Geography teacher at our school, he reckoned it would snow but the teacher said it wouldn't - my friend now owes him a Mars Bar :)

Met Office got it spot on today.

Edited by nick2702

Posted

Not quite sure if having a river stops you being at 1000ft, but I agree that in England if it's of any size it makes it a lot less likely!

Even along the valley of the River Teme, Ludlow seems to be all above 80 meters (260 ft). Around the castle above, and into the old town centre, it's more like 350 ft (107 m). And in the new developments to the north-east it rises to nearly 130 m, or 420 ft+. That may not be 1000 ft, but it's enough to make a big difference in the borderline snow stakes.

Thanks people, you've now confirmed my sat nav is well and truly broken! When I visit the in-laws it tells me we're at 1000 odd feet. Always thought it seemed odd.

On a weather note, it's rain rain rain here in Birmingham City Centre!

Posted

Snow was forecast for the West Midlands and guess what; we missed out yet again. No sign of snow all day, just very light rain; very poor forecasting indeed. Why don't people just wake up to the fact that forecasting our weather especially snow is nigh on impossible even a day ahead let alone 5. The Met office just cover there own buts with all the scaremongering of heavy snow; heavy snow my ar*se.

Posted

No snow today. Just light rain and just 1 or 2 wet sleet flakes. Travelled through an area above 200m ASL and still just rain. Not bothered though tbh. For my area this winter the MO have predicted the rain/snow boundary very well.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Not been funny but a daft comment to make , not the weather iv just listened to anyway . Dont no where you get your info from . Not the bbc thats for sure

mmmm well, I do live way north of you, its been obvious that I would see no snow, as expected not a flake, way too mild 3.0C minimum,

couldnt believe ppl in Stafford expected snow,

Posted

In the end we ended up with about 10cm fresh snow today in south Shropshire, and even after the minor thaw, everything is still white, with a snow depth close to 5-6cm. Not sure if Ludlow had snow, but Clee Hill certainly did, so I expect Ludlow did too. Leominister definitely had snow.

Posted

Thanks people, you've now confirmed my sat nav is well and truly broken! When I visit the in-laws it tells me we're at 1000 odd feet. Always thought it seemed odd.

Actually, the nearest 1000 ft ground is only about two miles (as the crow flies) south-west of Ludlow - but I can't see any houses on Google Earth, so I presume they're not up there!

Ossie

Edited by osmposm

Posted

And the answer was...

...rain!

and not much of it either.

Right then...see you at the next one...whenever thats going to be!

Posted

Entirely rain here over than a few flakes for about 5 minutes mixed in around 8:30am...

Posted

Nothing but rain, rain, rain with a few sleety blobs in it from time to time- yet 20 miles south at pretty much the same height it was apparently chucking it down with snow. Again. Now if altitude is so important, why was there snow sticking in S Shrops/Herefs below 100m, yet Telford at 165m and Lyth Hill near Shrewsbury at 150m had nothing but rain and sleet? Some kind of inversion? Or the Mid-Shropshire Snow Shield again???? God I hate living here in winter sometimes.

So many close minded people in here, i guess the heavy snow forecasted correctly last week has left your short memory spans already, anybody could see today wasnt favourable for snow to low levels in the midlands, i was going on about the front fizzling out here ages ago, just some patchy light rain here, well at least it's cold :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dangerous

No ppn here at all, but i'm actually glad. I told everyone at work not to worry becuase we will get nothing. Damn right...not a drop.

Posted

sadly thats it for snow for a good while, (has been since last thurs) definitely no more for me in Jan, IF ecm 12Z verifies that's winter over, but all FI and the general trend for next week is cold and dry

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

sadly thats it for snow for a good while, (has been since last thurs) definitely no more for me in Jan, IF ecm 12Z verifies that's winter over, but all FI and the general trend for next week is cold and dry

Just to remind people, I know we have had so much snow etc but its still only Jan 20th.

If you got models that go out to T600 with accuracy you will make millions rolleyes.gif

Posted

There was snow at Ludlow; two inches were lying on the racecourse by early afternoon leading to an inspection ahead of tomorrow's meeting.

I'm don't think it was poorly forecasted, late on the METO changed the warning to clearly show the counties likely to be affected and you needed to be in the heavier part of the PPN (the centre of the frontal band) for it turn to snow. The NAE was pretty much spot on and although the shape of the PPN meant that the METO had to include the West Midlands county, but if you knew your onions you could have safely predicted that the population centres of Wolves and Brum would not seen snow. We saw about three minutes of light drizzle !

The angle of the band meant that you weren't in the heavier section of the PPN, but South Shrops were. Very unlucky but such was the marginality of this one.

It was hammering it down with rain at 7.30 this morning- yet still held up at 3C. Shrewsbury just ALWAYS seems to miss the snow when there's a hint of marginality, and misses out on the heaviest stuff when it's non-marginal.

Posted

It was hammering it down with rain at 7.30 this morning- yet still held up at 3C. Shrewsbury just ALWAYS seems to miss the snow when there's a hint of marginality, and misses out on the heaviest stuff when it's non-marginal.

because of elevation, most of Shrewsbury is around 60m asl, with areas nearby higher

Posted

Finally! After waiting since mid December, the Cheshire Gap showers finally start working for us!

...shame the cold air went a while ago.

You've got to laugh really!