Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Southwest And Central Southern England - Regional Discussion

Jane Louise

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Severe Weather events

My sister's just reported heavy rain, large hailstones, pink forked lightning & thunder over Eastleigh.

Only 3 sky flashes seen over me so far :-(

Posted

Thunder and torrential rain for the last twenty minutes or so in Winchester.

Yes likewise here, to the north of you.

Seems to be a stream of very heavy rain moving up from the south -southwest along/just to the west of the M3.

Could be some fairly heavy rainfall totals locally.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow deprived so anything white.

Couple of hours ago in Plymouth was fun.. soaked to the bone. Heavy drops.

Posted

Oh YES!

What a cell it was fantastic.

Traditional light rain, became heavier, and then the thunder kicked in & all HELL broke loose.

Still lightning now, but the interesting thing was watching the trees as the rush of air being pushed towards us by the rainfall suddenly arrived.

The trees started to bend, dustbins falling all over the place, car alarms going off, and the rain hit, my god it was torrential for about 4minutes.

Absolutely fabulous cell.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

On skype to home at the moment and missing the sound of thunder and hail! Have fun everyone. It's pretty cool seeing the low spiral around Cork.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: action weather

just had torrential downpour here on west mendip . lasted 8mins then flat calm for 5 min then one almighty flash to south then 3 min of horendouse rain . calmed down now but new cells developing over channel could get interesting around 11pm , cheers drinks.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

There's quite a tailback of showers stretching from the Dorset channel coast, up over the Mendips, through Bath & Wiltshire and into Gloucestershire.

Wouldn't be surprised to hear of some flooding problems around the region come the morning.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Intense rainfall here. Had 15mm since 9pm. 7mm in last 25 mins alone, not pretty outside.. At least it is not as cold.. Only positive lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: None Really but a snow lover deep down

A fair start to the day with rather a lot of developing convective cloud under a veil of cirrostratus making things overcast looking. Dry though and mild with 10C the temperature at the moment in a light SSW wind.

http://www.norton-radstockweather.co.uk/page8.htm

Posted

Weather warnings as high tides thrash Plymouth coast

WAVES, sea spray and high winds thrashed the city last night as flood warnings were put in place. Unusually high water levels were seen at the Hoe, the Barbican and Sutton Harbour.

Flood gates were closed at Sutton Harbour and the Torpoint Ferry service was disrupted, with only one ferry operating for a short while. A spokesperson for the ferry said: "It didn't flood as badly as we thought it would. But we stopped the second ferry running because it was so high up the ramp because of the tide and it wasn't safe for people to get on."

High tide was expected to raise the water off Plymouth by 2.6 meters with the surge adding another 37 centimetres.

The Environment Agency urged people to be particularly careful in exposed areas, where there was a risk of being swept away by waves or being hit by debris thrown up by waves. A number of properties, including shops, flooded in Looe and the Liskeard-Looe railway line was closed.

Looe harbour master Jeff Penhaligon said flooding to properties close to the sea was the worst he had seen in the seven years he had been there. Mr Penhaligon said: "We flood quite regularly with the tides but not normally as badly as this. It's the worse I've seen in seven years." A forecaster for the Met Office said: "The highest tides of the year combined with heavy showers and high winds created the flood risks."

The forecaster added that flood risks were likely to "diminish" overnight as heavy rain eased off.

http://www.thisisplymouth.co.uk/Weather-warnings-high-tides-thrash-Plymouth-coast/story-17106969-detail/story.html

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow deprived so anything white.

Just got soaked going to the shop in Plymouth. Although it is easing now. Going off the winds, rain and time of rain over the last couple of days I am surprised there hasn't been more coastal flooding predicted.

Posted

A rather pleasent day here, no showers yet to speak off and none looking likely on the horizon.

Seems as though Devon & Cornwall have had more flooding issues unfortunetly;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-19987355

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Hot Sun (but not at the same time!) 57m asl

Wow the rain is pouring down again here. The sky is a really odd colour as well. The light is like a golden colour. Very pretty.

Posted

That's a nice little feature that started over Bournemouth and is "wiggling" it's way along the coast, having dropped a fair bit of rain on the IOW, and now over into Pomo, and beyond.

Posted

Looks like its going to be one of those cloudy dull days here today.

Had a lot if these this month!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: None Really but a snow lover deep down

A very hazy start to the day with a lot of thin high cloud. Dry though with a light SE flow with 8C the current high.

http://www.norton-radstockweather.co.uk/page8.htm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Did someone notice anything strange about Gibby's analysis this morning. He mentioned SNOW in his summary. Ok, so it's only the possibility of Northern upland snow but hell, it is very early days for such an event and who knows it may well upgrade a whole lot more. I am not saying it will SNOW down south but I am saying, a cold end to October is looking highly likely. good.gif

Here is a post from me on October 4th hinting at the possibilities of an unusual event come late October. Previously, I had an inkling about an increased likelihood of a cold October in this post back on September 29th.

What the above indicates is that if you stick with the patterns and trends discussed by the likes of Chinio, GP etc, you may get an early signal of what is to come. By looking at things from a global perspective, there are hints to be taken from the data for a timescale that is well ahead of the model outputs. Yes, it still has to happen, but in a week or so's time, this region and a whole lot of the UK will be feeling very cool for the time of year. Before that, a couple of days of autumnal murk and warmth before a short cold spell, which may or not, last into November. good.gif

Posted

Looks like its going to be one of those cloudy dull days here today.

Had a lot if these this month!

That's because of a lot of fronts!

Although for my location this is by far the cloudiest day of the week! All other days although having showers have also had a lot of sunshine.

Looking towards the W/NW horizon the sky is clear so somewhere in the West Country is having a fine day.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

That's because of a lot of fronts!

Although for my location this is by far the cloudiest day of the week! All other days although having showers have also had a lot of sunshine.

Looking towards the W/NW horizon the sky is clear so somewhere in the West Country is having a fine day.

It certainly isn't clear up here.. cray.gif utter rubbish again, cloudy and damp although quite mild today at 12.4c

Posted

Hoping for my first air frosts of the season if this protracted and much talked about cold spell late next week materialises.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Hoping for my first air frosts of the season if this protracted and much talked about cold spell late next week materialises.

Personaly i'd like to see our first flurrys of snow! air_kiss.gif

Its abit much to ask for but not impossible especially high ground although saying that i'll be happy to see some frosty spells this early also. good.gif

Posted

Personaly i'd like to see our first flurrys of snow! air_kiss.gif

Its abit much to ask for but not impossible especially high ground although saying that i'll be happy to see some frosty spells this early also. good.gif

Don't think out region will see any wintry PPN out of this coming cold phase.

Pressure remains relatively high, keeping us mainly settled & with uppers only a degree or so below freezing on average, it be a bit much to ask for.

Feeling optimistic about the upcoming winter for our region though. Think we will do better than last year!

:p

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

Hello fellow Southerners.

The winter season is fast approaching and I know many of you would like a cold, snowy one so with this in mind, I have a plan. I have it on good authority that one person in our midst is the trigger we need for snow, or more correctly their absence is a trigger for snow in these parts. Apparently every time they leave the country seeking snow elsewhere, we get a major dumping here. So....who's up for a whip round to send them off on an extended holiday? Obviously the longer period you would like to have snow here, will mean the longer they have to be away, so I think it's only fair that your contribution should be larger than someone who just wants a cold snap around Christmas. I'll open the pot with 20 quid for the holiday to last from 23rd December through to Feb 1st.....

Mullender, you'd better check how your boss feels about using up all your holiday in one big chunck.