Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

London & South East Regional Discussion

Team Jo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Some people need to calm down.

You know weather is unpredictable. That's partly why we love it.

Forecasters try their best to predict weather. It's what they do for a living. They are not there to trick or frustrate you. I am sure they feel just as surprised when the weather does exactly the opposite of what they expect.

I for one am grateful of the time they dedicate to this site. They are human like the rest of us and are bound to get it wrong sometimes, but for the most part they do a great job.

Edited by Lauren

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,thunder,tornados

Just watched the bbc,defo shows rain for my region I hope it changes,been looking forward to this for a few days

Posted

Nae 18z looks more like it! Evaporative cooling and intensity of precipitation will win out for a se snowfest!

Nite all.....

Edited by willinkent44

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

For those wondering about snowfall! Don't forget we can get surprise snowfalls and also when forecasted to be marginal it can sometimes change.... I'm sure by Monday, many will have some welcome suprises while others will be disappointed ( more so SW members).... I have attached 3 photos.... 1. Was Snow on Weds 5th Dec, we weren't expected to get that until very short notice and still we managed just under 3cm, when only a dusting at best was forecasted. 2. Was Thurs 9th February 2012 we were due to have a short spell of light snow to come through quickly, instead we managed 7cm.. Picture 3= Is from Saturday4th February 2012; a system was expected to move SEwards through England, though turned marginal very quickly for western areas, though here we managed just over 6cm, it only turned sleety as it turned lighter before dying away... So it just goes to show, how these things are very complex to forecast and can change at very short-notice and even during the occurrence! smile.png

post-15543-0-60277700-1358035295_thumb.j

post-15543-0-23472800-1358035304_thumb.j

post-15543-0-76631200-1358035310_thumb.j

Posted

Some people need to calm down.

You know weather is unpredictable. That's partly why we love it.

Forecasters try their best to predict weather. It's what they do for a living. They are not there to trick or frustrate you. I am sure they feel just as surprised when the weather does exactly the opposite of what they expect.

I for one am grateful of the time they dedicate to this site. They are human like the rest of us and are bound to get it wrong sometimes, but for the most part they do a great job.

couldn't have put it better Lauren, well said

AS

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot sunny summers to ripen the veg and cold snowy winters of course

Added 2 people to the ignore list tonight!

Really dont know why some people feel the need to try and bait others???

This forum is a fun and informative place (for the most part) and i feel really sorry for the ones that have nothing better to do with there lives, than to try to upset the atmosphere in here.

To me, these people have no real interest in the weather, and just use this forum to enrich the sad lives they have by trying to make themselves feel better.

OK rant over...................

hope everyone (not ignored) gets the snow they want, fingers crossed for all good.gif

I use this forum to enrich my sad life - but in good way. Winter wouldn't be the same without it smile.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

I don't understand why people get so excited about Countryfile forecasts. We're told not to believe the current 24-48 hour forecasts on BBC News, but yet people can't wait to see the 7-day outlook by the very same institution?

When the poster clearly is following bbc despite previous advice not to

Was thinking more 'later'

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hurricanes, Thunderstorms and blizzards please!

Added 2 people to the ignore list tonight!

Really dont know why some people feel the need to try and bait others???

This forum is a fun and informative place (for the most part) and i feel really sorry for the ones that have nothing better to do with there lives, than to try to upset the atmosphere in here.

To me, these people have no real interest in the weather, and just use this forum to enrich the sad lives they have by trying to make themselves feel better.

OK rant over...................

hope everyone (not ignored) gets the snow they want, fingers crossed for all good.gif

I was about to post something similar, but you put it far better than I would. Really poor show from a couple of posters who clearly are looking for a rise; but to have a pop at JP was a step too far in my opinion.

Anyway, back on topic, really exciting week ahead. The old mantra is get the cold here first then the snow will happen. My biggest 2010 snowfall came with NO met office warning......well there was after it had been snowing heavily for an hour! The wind direction and upper temps give us an excellent chance of quite a covering, but of course only time will tell.

Posted

I am disappointed at the change in the PPN forecast for us as earlier it looked like a sure thing but now the models say no snow for you. This is to be expected as things change and a lot of people can't help but get sucked into the trap of watching every run. I am hoping for snow Monday through to Thursday as i have told my family there is lots of snow on the way and i will look silly if it does not happen lol

I fully expect to look out of my window and see snow falling from the sky soon and will trust those on here like Kold John H and John p to guide us when it comes down to detail and i will be looking at the radar too.

FWIW My daughter went to Calais today and was driving through heavy snow the motorways were white and the radar showed sleet so i feel the only solution for me and others is look out the window and if it snows great if not then there is always another day lol.

I am off to bed now to dream of playing with a mad black dog that loves snow in my garden over the next few days night all see you in the morning .

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Cold Winters & Warm Dry Summers

I think some of the confusion is in the timing of the precipitation and what it will be.

So, as far as I am aware there is a chance of a light dusting of snow for the SE starting tomorrow night and stopping Monday morning.

Then on Monday afternoon a more heavier band is due to arrive BUT within this band there is likely to be sleet and rain.

However this is forecast to turn back to snow as the night progresses.

The questions will be 1) whether your location is under the sleet / rain possibility and if you are then 2) whether it turns back to snow again before the band passes through.

Nobody and I mean nobody can answer those 2 questions.....yet.

Yes, we can make a prediction based on the charts but it's changing every 6 hours and we are but a small country and the type of shifts East / West can have a huge impact on us.

It's going to get chilly and there might be settling snow in the SE over the next week, that's about a good a forecast as anyone else's ;-)

Edited by Jayces

Posted

I was about to post something similar, but you put it far better than I would. Really poor show from a couple of posters who clearly are looking for a rise; but to have a pop at JP was a step too far in my opinion.

Anyway, back on topic, really exciting week ahead. The old mantra is get the cold here first then the snow will happen. My biggest 2010 snowfall came with NO met office warning......well there was after it had been snowing heavily for an hour! The wind direction and upper temps give us an excellent chance of quite a covering, but of course only time will tell.

Christ, it wasnt a pop!!! We spoke earlier, he disagreed with my thoughts and told me to wait on later forecasts tonight from the BBC, i did so, and then asked again for his comments, whats so wrong with that?! jeez

Posted

hi peeps

lets not get upset with anyone

i have no problem with steve and he is entitled to his opinion

he may be right

so lets keep this thread fun and a bit of ramping like we normally do

i do post what the charts show but i may be wrong

however lets look forward to the proper cold which is gonna be here tomorrow

i am going to find some ramp charts nowsmile.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Cold Winters & Warm Dry Summers

Night All, hope everyone gets something snowy over the coming week.

Posted

hi peeps

he may be right

I want snow as much as the next snow lover, I just dont wanna get caught up in the hysteria when sometimes we need some reality :)

Posted

I want snow as much as the next snow lover, I just dont wanna get caught up in the hysteria when sometimes we need some reality :)

Excellent post Steve

Edited by Thinon

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hurricanes, Thunderstorms and blizzards please!

hi peeps

he may be right

Looking forward to tonights Rampathon John; mind you, you're not going to have to spend long searching for them tonight!!! All models are looking great for at least a 5 day plus cold spell.

Posted

MT8_London_ens.png

12z ensembles very cold

wait for 18z

now changed to 18z

gone much warmer

fi from 19th

a complete mess

Edited by john pike

Posted

I know that Nov/Dec 2010 was a different set up but I was only ever forecast to get 5cm's max. I ended up with over 30cms and almost continuous snow fall for 3 days. Even on the night of the heaviest fall, the warning was a few cm's but nothing of note. As the night progressed the snow stalled and intensified over us and remained that way all night long. None of the TV forecasts predicted that. Who knows what will happen this week - unlikely to repeat the above but certainly possible for surprise snow to crop up.

I know that Nov/Dec 2010 was a different set up but I was only ever forecast to get 5cm's max. I ended up with over 30cms and almost continuous snow fall for 3 days. Even on the night of the heaviest fall, the warning was a few cm's but nothing of note. As the night progressed the snow stalled and intensified over us and remained that way all night long. None of the TV forecasts predicted that. Who knows what will happen this week - unlikely to repeat the above but certainly possible for surprise snow to crop up.

Posted

We should be getting excited with Monday's snow. More snow to follow during the week biggrin.pngcold.gifclap.gif

post-2721-0-53549800-1358036846_thumb.jp