Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands Regional Discussion 21/03/13 09z ------->

A.J

Posted

I think by the time the precipitation heads south across the East Midlands on Saturday it'll be much lighter anyway.

Lets hope not for us in the East, its at times like this that the Midlands thread needs splitting into east & west as its depressing listening to you lot talking up snow amounts LOL

Posted

Depends on what happens with front, gfs very stubborn in its predictions. Normally I side with n a e so will this time. However the gfs was correct a week or two ago with the channel storm clipping the south east moreso than other models. I am sure notts will do ok

Posted

I am surprised this thread is so quiet

People under 30 living in Shropshire and other more western parts of the midlands are going to see more lying snow than they have seen in their lifetimes in the next48 hours

Thought this thread would be frenzied!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental climate, snow winter, sunny summers

I'll put my money on the Lichfield area :)

Bish

Stoke on Trent for me.

Posted

I'm well over 30 and enjoyed 1963, so not excited yet, but I'm open minded:-)

Posted

Anyone know how much the Catshill / Bromsgrove Area is likely to see? I seem to be in an awful location for this event even though It looks like that shouldn't be the case :/ Met office showing sleet followed by heavy rain on friday, where as just 4 miles north in rubery, heavy snow is forecast all day. I'd hate to miss out by 4 miles :(

Posted

I am surprised this thread is so quiet

People under 30 living in Shropshire and other more western parts of the midlands are going to see more lying snow than they have seen in their lifetimes in the next48 hours

Thought this thread would be frenzied!

Unfortunately we've been promised " snowmageddon " so many times before and the snow shield has stood firm , I'll believe it when its on the ground .

Posted

Depends on what happens with front, gfs very stubborn in its predictions. Normally I side with n a e so will this time. However the gfs was correct a week or two ago with the channel storm clipping the south east moreso than other models. I am sure notts will do ok

Agreed these things never quite pan out as forecast, lets hope that when its finally over us, it pushes further East for us in Notts.

Fortunately Im south of Nottingham right on the border with Derbys/Leics so I think we will get a decent covering at least

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental climate, snow winter, sunny summers

Anyone know how much the Catshill / Bromsgrove Area is likely to see? I seem to be in an awful location for this event even though It looks like that shouldn't be the case :/ Met office showing sleet followed by heavy rain on friday, where as just 4 miles north in rubery, heavy snow is forecast all day. I'd hate to miss out by 4 miles :(

Up to 10 cms I'd imagine, mostly on Friday night/ Saturday am.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

I would imagine my little town of Belper should do okay out of this. Met office has us down for heavy snow for 12 hours tonight into tomorrow, then the second event is another 22 hours of heavy snow after a 2 hour break of lighter snow for a bit tomorrow afternoon. Further light snow then continues saturday evening and night until about 9am Sunday. It seems almost unbelievable to be saying this at anytime of the year, but in March even more so - but I think I may actually hit 30cm!

As for best placed town in the Midlands (under 250m) - i'd have to go for Ashbourne or Leek with 35cm outside of the main towns. I reckon the higher parts of the peak district could get 50cm by the end of this with drifts of over a metre.

Edited by Supacell

Posted

How about a little poll and see how many members we can get involved?

What city/town do you guys think will recieve the most snow by the end of saturday and that isnt high ground lets say 250m+ ?

Im putting my money on burton area wirh 25cm+

Wherever my car get's stuck between Tipton & Northampton - 6 foot drifts help.gifcrazy.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow - or HOT

I thought it would be busy here, or at least busier than it is. Too marginal? Or everyone just fed up of having their hopes dashed? :-)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow. Cold

I thought it would be busy here, or at least busier than it is. Too marginal? Or everyone just fed up of having their hopes dashed? :-)

Probably the latter !

Doesn't help that it's not really in the media. If you havn't watched the forecast you'd have no idea.

Posted

Probably the latter !

Doesn't help that it's not really in the media. If you havn't watched the forecast you'd have no idea.

Here's hoping that we get a proper pasting, it seems to me that when the news are not making too much of the forecasts then we seem to do better snow wise, fingers crossed anyway!

Posted

Matlock to Bakewell 40cm.

Dec 1st 2010 had 36cm here with 46cm in garden, I can tell you it looks fantastic.

Bought a Panda 4x4 2 weeks ago so should get out in it on Friday and Saturday, Beeley Moor is a 15 to 20 min wzalk away, if it drifts, well anything is possible.

staggering to think its March .help.gifhelp.gifhelp.gif

Posted

It's the calm before the event, no point in looking at any more models. The campaign is over and we await the decision of the weather Gods. I'm hoping for a landslide rofl.gif

Posted

It's certainly very windy here, if this sticks around and we also get the snow it could be an interesting couple of days

Posted

Probably the latter !

Apparently it's going to snow in Scotland blum.gif

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-south-scotland-21884994

Posted

It's the calm before the event, no point in looking at any more models. The campaign is over and we await the decision of the weather Gods. I'm hoping for a landslide rofl.gif

Any ideas on timings Ian? Are we likely to get up to much in the morning do you think?

Posted

Dammit, ECM is even further north with the mild 850 temps than GFS,looks like gonna have to wait till tommorow night then for sure now when the heavy precip will be in the east :(