Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model discussion - hunt for cold Christmas period 2021

Paul
Message added by Paul,

Please remember this is a model based discussion - some chat is ok, but a weather model related theme should run throughout.

The guiding principles of everyone's participation in this thread are:
Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family friendly

For a less frenetic look at the models head over to the alternate model discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm sunny summers
7 hours ago, Tamara said:

I do understand the feelings of UK members about the lapsed cold spell, but I am excited about the upcoming sub tropical ridge resident across my new homeland next week which looks set to produce afternoon values nudging towards and maybe even above the 21C mark and which seems surreal for the heart of winter..Its one thing having a winter break and some winter Mediterranean sun, but when its your new home it makes you stop and try to remember what month of the year it is because you are not getting on a plane back anytime.... Quite surreal for a first winter living out of the UK.

Feliz Natal x

Hi Tamara

i feel your joy, having recently moved to South East Spain I like nothing more than a intense Iberia High in late winter.

January/February 2020 brought many such spells and I remember many Winter BBQs with the temperature touching 23c

I always return to the UK for 6 weeks over Christmas hoping to see some snow but as usual the weather has other ideas.

What’s worse is that I now have Covid so can’t return to Spain to enjoy the warm sunshine, stuck here instead looking at charts that are a UK Nightmare but a Spanish dream.

I used to love UK winters and the hunt for snow but now the hunt is futile and I can’t stand the mildness, wet and darkness of a now typical UK winter.

Enjoy the Bartlett! ☀️ 

Feliz Navidad

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

Merry Christmas.

Screenshot_2021-12-24-07-45-45-93_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Screenshot_2021-12-24-07-58-38-37_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Edited by winterof79

Posted
1 hour ago, KTtom said:

Yes, hopefully lessons learnt will be don't go over the top in future and respect views from others which don't necesserily mirror yours! Talking of digging in, surely with pretty much unanimous charts like this for the turn of the year the Met will have to adjust their longer term forecast, if they don't, then they must be seeing something we don't have access to?!

GFSOPEU00_144_1.png

If they do have charts we don't have access too, it makes you wonder why we bother at all?  If we can't get hold of model data which is fairy accurate, we will always be lead up the garden path and by no fault of our own, regardless of what some people say.  We don't just make up that the models are showing a cold and snowy spell, we are shown it by the data.

Posted

I remember someone posted a few weeks back that he didn't expect any change to colder weather until after 2nd January this would coincide with a new moon . I wonder if there's any correlation between the 2.. can't remember who it was

Posted
1 minute ago, Lukesluckybunch said:

ECM mean at 240h is absolutley horrendous

really cant work our climate out,its way too mild for what it should be! depressing weather here in winter if im honest,i was looking at weather in oslo norway yesterday it had highs of -5 and minus double digits at night time..what a difference a few thousand miles to the northeast makes!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall

The only glimmer of light this xmas eve is that there are colder runs starting from 3rd Jan in gfs the ensembles. Maybe a trend to keep an eye on and Perhaps this what the meto extended is picking up on.

Taking a few days off now.

Happy Xmas everyone.

Edited by Broadmayne blizzard

Posted

Just want to say merry Xmas to all and thanks for making this forum what it is.

Here's to the next chase (let down)

• Like 8

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

NetWx-sr for the big day and UKV for boxing day.

1333509774_viewimage(36).thumb.png.2eb86f8021eb3d94e359bafd73cd1d51.png2101084069_viewimage(35).thumb.png.db02e8eb244cfa456c2d3caa49652230.png

• Like 3

Posted

GFS 0Z average is clearly not with agreement considering new year/beginning of january for northern europe, it looks weird that the heavy cold air will get swung away that easily.

Last-minute snowfall overnight gave me a white christmas this year, merry christmas to you all!! 

Oki doki.png

20211224_090054.jpg

• Like 6

Posted
2 minutes ago, Faronstream said:

GFS 0Z average is clearly not with agreement considering new year/beginning of january for northern europe, it looks weird that the heavy cold air will get swung away that easily.

Last-minute snowfall overnight gave me a white christmas this year, merry christmas to you all!! 

Oki doki.png

20211224_090054.jpg

that looks amazing,whats the weather doing there currently?

Posted
6 minutes ago, Lukesluckybunch said:

that looks amazing,whats the weather doing there currently?

Right now it's -11 outside, i'm expecting the max-temp today to be around -8 at noon and sunny.

• Like 2

Posted
23 minutes ago, Lukesluckybunch said:

really cant work our climate out,its way too mild for what it should be! depressing weather here in winter if im honest,i was looking at weather in oslo norway yesterday it had highs of -5 and minus double digits at night time..what a difference a few thousand miles to the northeast makes!

The UK isn't a cold or snowy place, the vast majority enjoy an oceanic or temperate climate. Your best chance for snow and cold in the UK is this area:

Screenshot_20211224-081914_Met Office.jpg

Edited by Sceptical
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle
1 minute ago, Faronstream said:

Right now it's -11 outside, i'm expecting the max-temp today to be around -8 at noon and sunny.

If I can find it, I know it's a bit off topic but my friend took this in Sweden a while back, still plenty to play for in Winter considering this wasn't too far away in weather terms in November, wouldn't mind that lot coming over here

20211016_143751.jpg

• Like 2

Posted
8 minutes ago, Sceptical said:

The UK isn't a cold or snowy place, the vast majority enjoy an oceanic or temperate climate. Your best chance for snow and cold in the UK is this area:

Screenshot_20211224-081914_Met Office.jpg

haha that looks a nice area to be in,yes i agree we are not in the right location for any sutained cold.thats why when we get a decent cold spell its a real bonus!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Very changeable here in Prague. Was freezing all day yesterday but then it started warming up and began raining late in the evening and it has poured all night. Wind is strong and it’s mild at 8°C. Big temperature variations to come over the next couple of days, should be interesting. Tomorrow will go from 6°C to -6°C with rain turning to snow, then Boxing Day sees a high of -4°C by day and down to -11°C overnight! Back to mild and wet later next week. 

Edited by stainesbloke
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Four true seasons. Hot summers and cold winters.
32 minutes ago, Faronstream said:

Oki doki.png

20211224_090054.jpg

Same here in my location 30km to the North East of Warsaw. Here's a pic from my morning run today. Was looking a bit touch and go for Xmas here in the model output recently, but the North East quadrant of Poland at least is comfortably frozen. And we're expecting a sunny day tomorrow and Boxing Day with lows in the minus teens ?️❄️

Happy Christmas everyone!IMG_20211224_084413.thumb.jpg.16136bde6576e4ec4a8a1ce838ff7b21.jpg

• Like 2

Posted
49 minutes ago, Polar Maritime said:

NetWx-sr for the big day and UKV for boxing day.

1333509774_viewimage(36).thumb.png.2eb86f8021eb3d94e359bafd73cd1d51.png2101084069_viewimage(35).thumb.png.db02e8eb244cfa456c2d3caa49652230.png

Post some piccs of your snow when it arrives PM please

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.
41 minutes ago, Lukesluckybunch said:

Sadly that’s the UK climate for you. UK has one of the crapest climate living next to the Atlantic we end up getting crap winters and summers. The model outputs we getting at the moment don’t really inspire me to look at them I hear the Sun is quite active I think that’s caused lot of the output to go the way they have done let’s hope the EC means this morning improve or we will be left with nothing but mild Atlantic crap. Anyway guys hope you all enjoy your self tomorrow with your friends family and relatives and keep safe.

• Like 5