Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model discussion - hunt for cold Christmas period 2021

Paul
Message added by Paul,

Please remember this is a model based discussion - some chat is ok, but a weather model related theme should run throughout.

The guiding principles of everyone's participation in this thread are:
Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family friendly

For a less frenetic look at the models head over to the alternate model discussion

Posted
1 hour ago, jules216 said:

That moment when you wake Up on 24th of December to this. Its quarter past one and still at -1C. It was supposed to be a mild Christmas and tomorrow local weather agency put Up warning for 10-15cm Snow. Could this just be the most memorable Christmas in my lifetime? Hope UK does get compensation in the 2nd half of winter somehow if we manage to slow Down the vortex somehow. If tomorrow I get 10cm and next day as predicted Tmax of only -5C winter can finish,thats enough for me and roll on spring +25C and summer under El Nino +35C, have a Happy Christmas gang and keep the spirits high.

Looks good. I got a dusting this morning and there will be a thaw tomorrow before snow falling from late Saturday for a few days. I'm not brave enough to guess the amounts - models are fickle when it comes to Moldovan precipitation events.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle
1 minute ago, Ed Stone said:

All of those 'things that went wrong' are right enough, Kasim; but it's the 'compared to what?' question that fascinates me: Given that the optimal 'snow-event' was only ever predicted by a handful of runs, and was very far from being unanimous, my suspicion is that confirmation bias played a big part; our, only human, tendency to laud what we like but bin what we don't can make for a horribly skewed view of reality?

Our biases definitely took a part but that's what we're always like, it's nothing new, plus if narnia happens we'd have predicted it first, even before the papers get ahold of it

• Like 2

Posted
22 minutes ago, Malarky said:

T0 is my new rule.

After the recent fiasco, I think that's bloody sensible! 

• Like 3

Also looking at 2010, the Azores pushed up in to the UK pre freeze and extremely mild weather was recorded. 

Remember this little video analysis, 

Yes I understand this is highly unlikely just trying to lift everyone’s spirits.

Edited by Lloyd1
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm
4 hours ago, That ECM said:

Thought I could leave alone until the 27th but this raised an eyebrow.

69B84551-A929-419A-B368-D3A8E16B3F7B.png

Indeed, keep an eye on the period from this point.  I’ll call it, LPs forced to dive /disrupt SE into near continent due HP to our NE (not a start to a prolonged freeze as I believe there’s a lot of atmosphere activity ahead).  A lot imo instore to quench weather enthusiast as winter progresses.  I’m going to keep focus for that period and just let Xmas week be just that….certainly for down here in SE

BFTP.

Edited by BLAST FROM THE PAST
  • Like 4

Posted

I'm going to be the Grinch and report that the latest Metoffice update has removed the mentioning of colder weather going into January and replaced it with an unsettled Atlantic dominance!  

Anyway, have a great Christmas all and sod the weather! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow (Mostly)

I sometimes struggle this time of year and the odd cold hunt (even if failed) does help.   Always learning something new here and is really fun when things get lively! My family will keep me busy otherwise over the next but will check back...

Merry Christmas all and to those taking time out, I hope you return to boom  worthy charts of whatever weather  persuasion..☺️❄️

Edited by B-C
  • Like 4

Posted
20 minutes ago, Don said:

I'm going to be the Grinch and report that the latest Metoffice update has removed the mentioning of colder weather going into January and replaced it with an unsettled Atlantic dominance!  

Anyway, have a great Christmas all and sod the weather! 

right at the end of January so it could change 

Posted
3 minutes ago, Staffmoorlands said:

ICON keeping it mild for New Years Eve

image.thumb.png.5f4541b619cf411276bf454137dc22c4.png

Daffodil green shoots early New Year.....

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle

Currently the upper air is the only trustworthy thing on the models, with very good model reliability up to 150 hours or so with good model consistency considering how the other models have faired.

It's been two weeks since the large trough ejection that caused the Mayfield tornado occurred in the US and I guess we should have been paying more attention to it as it seems to have indirectly and directly influenced our weather more than we would have first thought.

IMG_0522.thumb.PNG.4a41ac030bac3b0eb14230af986a7165.PNG

IMG_0528.thumb.PNG.3acfdfbca7ccadb1f4c13cd291ab3dae.PNGInitially it moved north into Canada but we can see the initial weakening devolution of the main stream across the northern hemisphere, no real pattern evolving just yet.

IMG_0530.thumb.PNG.e9eb5a541dd38a6d82568b6cbd97336e.PNGIMG_0531.thumb.PNG.d36ba23b501c224b766e7ddf18fe3172.PNG

We can now see a pattern evolving in the disconnecting stream with the Atlantic part of the stream being pushed further down with strong momentum and therefore strong energy.

IMG_0533.thumb.PNG.220c0e194c8d2c4bfdfd0a288fedaa2c.PNGIMG_0535.thumb.PNG.4685fb8de75747688aeac9f153d1f160.PNGThe momentum didn't last long as the energy within the air weakens and so does the pressure on the air causing it to flatten rapidly in its 'descent' and now the initial ejecting trough has properly split into two parts both now leaving North America slowly.

IMG_0537.thumb.PNG.a027febf059f524e933062e17d39911d.PNGIMG_0538.thumb.PNG.f396f15208a1c3bcaf61dbf35df26130.PNGNow we watch as the split causes it to race slightly perhaps delaying the proper evolution of the current wave into Greenland as it seems to have caused a slight rotation by pushing down on the air around Spain.

Looking further on from now 

IMG_0539.thumb.PNG.f1481b691caad17c0eb10ada614e8fc9.PNG

IMG_0540.thumb.PNG.bb5845ce6c70b329083afc1cfd4da654.PNGIMG_0541.thumb.PNG.e4e9546e3c34a229d0f597a26bcd0105.PNGIMG_0542.thumb.PNG.e23f245b875994ee5afec7ba4f3f9a1f.PNGIMG_0543.thumb.PNG.daf0ddacefc0a4e29ea6c5611b05d7f5.PNG

We can see the broad pattern evolving for a second Rossby wave as shown by the modelsare with the air coming up from near Spain on a high gradient but there is the winds east of us that could be pushed or the winds we see coming up from around Spain could be pushed in a more easterly direction once they reach above us but this is all unlikely for now and just speculation but I'll update you on the pattern taking shape soon.

Merry Christmas everyone this is my last post for the night 

IMG_0523.PNG

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Posted

The 16-30 day Metoffice forecast has now also updated and little sign of anything wintry to the 22nd!

To think that little more than a few days ago, there was fair optimism for a cold easterly early January but looks like it has gone Pete Tong spectacular style.  Perhaps the majority of the long range models for winter were correct after all.....

Still time for it to redeem itself of course and will have to see where we stand after Christmas. 

Anyway, enough from me!

Edited by Don
  • Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Don said:

The 16-30 day Metoffice forecast has now also updated and little sign of anything wintry to the 22nd!

To think that little more than a few days ago, there was fair optimism for a cold easterly early January but looks like it has gone Pete Tong spectacular style.  Perhaps the majority of the long range models for winter were correct after all.....

Still time for it to redeem itself of course and will have to see where we stand after Christmas.

That's good then, as more chance it will flip back now, very mild spell on the ropes already at 144 on GFS, heights trying to push north

gfsnh-0-144 (1) (23).png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.
5 hours ago, That ECM said:

Probably gone at 4.30 but if met keep talking of a cold first half of jan something has to give.

Met killed that then.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool summers.
6 minutes ago, Battleground Snow said:

That's good then, as more chance it will flip back now, very mild spell on the ropes already at 144 on GFS, heights trying to push north

gfsnh-0-144 (1) (23).png

And it starts again...  Happy Christmas to everyone

9 minutes ago, Don said:

Anyway, enough from me!

Hi,

This was near enough on my thoughts which I posted earlier this morning.  It’ does look like doom and gloom for the next 2 weeks at least. However 30 days ahead is very tight to get right and no doubt things will change hopefully The thing that is going to start to become worrying is that by the time two thirds of January is done and this mild pattern has not shifted then we will be looking into February for winter to bite. Not saying it will not change before that anything can happen if the past weeks experience was to go by. 

Let’s hope we will get a breakthrough well before then. Worst case is that if this does go on then February can still deliver and it can deliver cold quite late (2018) comes to mind. 

regards 

• Like 1