Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model discussion: Hunt for cold - The start of 2022

Message added by Paul,

Please remember this is a model-based discussion.  Some chat is ok, but a weather model related theme should run throughout.

The guiding principles of everyone's participation in this thread are:
Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

For less chat and a more straight-up model discussion take a look at the alternate model discussion

Posted

Day 9 looks decent in the JMA, and day 11 looks primed too.  

3AFBC1FC-3D0B-4313-85E1-271BA404669D.gif

C03C214A-4D1C-4D98-8227-8F3310D8B77D.gif

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

The GEFS are littered with good charts at day 9 (getting closer)  
Sone cold PM, some very cold Northerlies, some cold easterlies , some potential Scandy type highs beyond. ❄️

8338A9C7-1351-4862-BC7E-E582AB25ADA4.png

133DB733-BDB1-4583-9B1E-7788793A5142.png

7B75C9D1-6855-4441-B9B3-B04F01E6CE41.png

71EAC4AC-C9C4-4C7B-A116-7A1E05D1D507.png

8E0C51BE-E0ED-419E-AF65-ED9027E5CB95.png

43863494-72B5-4150-99F9-6D83F1651A59.png

E72EBB75-9844-42D4-941E-57EAE5421AA3.png

A82798E8-5317-4696-87E2-5B21ED933741.png

9BD90A78-1E25-4CE9-9D57-1DFA9AAC57DD.png

3731F31C-3FBC-4DD3-8469-8A8A76A70899.png

DDD94E70-4DB5-4656-B418-C4F47E657EA0.png

0ABBC88B-02A2-4200-9F2F-758F19F96296.png

B8FB3885-16B1-4714-A789-E7DEC12FE21F.png

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall

Both gfs and ecm ops this morning looking  very dry down south going forward. Very much in line with meto extended. Which to be honest I'd happily take if its not going to be cold and snowy.

Edited by Broadmayne blizzard
  • Like 7

Posted
2 minutes ago, Broadmayne blizzard said:

Both gfs and ecm ops this morning looking  very dry down south going forward. Which to be honest I'd happily take if its not going to be cold and snowy.

Yup.

I can hear the rain against the window right now.yuk.

Give me dry and cool / foggy / frosty over that anyway.

It's inversion cold , but I'll take it .

• Like 6

Posted
4 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

A lot of dry weather for most places in the coming days by the looks of it. Could end up being a reasonably dry January 

GFSOPUK00_384_18.pngaccprecip_20220109_00_240.jpg

IMBY 13mm , across the hill in Huddersfield,5 mm.

Classic example of the Pennines sucking up the moisture on ' my side'...

Edited by northwestsnow
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall
2 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Yup.

I can hear the rain against the window right now.yuk.

Give me dry and cool / foggy / frosty over that anyway.

It's inversion cold , but I'll take it .

Too right Nws. Nothing more depressing of a morning if you work outside like I do than the sound of yet more rain against the window or rattling the porch roof.

Inversion cold is fine by me too, and certainly the best we can hope for at the moment. In spite of the vortex dropping into Scandi teases on recent charts.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

Good consistency from the GEFS mean from D8-16 with the modelling of the tPV, returning to the NW from a stroll to the NE:

animzne2.gif

It is hard to imagine, if that is correct, anything other than a flattish Atlantic profile. Trying to look for a reason to doubt this scenario, but with a Alaskan high and a Siberian high, the mechanics of why the tPV would act like this are all to apparent. Not a good NH profile for HLB in our locale and we can only hope for a reset in late January for maybe something more interesting in the last third of Winter.

The GFS op and Control are having little to do with any members that are a bit more amplified so whilst they are not aboard then the odds are stacked towards the mean. London 2m temps look average as a whole with a dry week ahead:

graphe6_10000_304_154___.thumb.png.d9162f5485f160ce01ae5879bc1924db.png

• Like 4

Posted
6 minutes ago, IDO said:

Good consistency from the GEFS mean from D8-16 with the modelling of the tPV, returning to the NW from a stroll to the NE:

animzne2.gif

It is hard to imagine, if that is correct, anything other than a flattish Atlantic profile. Trying to look for a reason to doubt this scenario, but with a Alaskan high and a Siberian high, the mechanics of why the tPV would act like this are all to apparent. Not a good NH profile for HLB in our locale and we can only hope for a reset in late January for maybe something more interesting in the last third of Winter.

The GFS op and Control are having little to do with any members that are a bit more amplified so whilst they are not aboard then the odds are stacked towards the mean. London 2m temps look average as a whole with a dry week ahead:

graphe6_10000_304_154___.thumb.png.d9162f5485f160ce01ae5879bc1924db.png

The control looks cold and has a very cold Northerly ..

image.thumb.png.efc7d512690df022d3bab085dd6d7683.png

And brings snow showers to some..

Even the south !! 

Edited by northwestsnow
  • Like 4

Posted
8 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

The control looks cold and has a very cold Northerly ..

image.thumb.png.efc7d512690df022d3bab085dd6d7683.png

Yes, I was more focused on the 16-18th when this colder shot from the north was modelled. This is now gone, with the ECM flat. Obviously in FI we will be seeing similar runs of potential northerlies and when that gets below D8 we can maybe take them seriously, but what the control shows was a carbon copy of what we saw on the models for around the 16th which were seemingly aberrations...

Edited by IDO
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: continental climate

Hopefully by 25.01 the -PNA +EPO returns in USA. What we need is that east coast ridge to return and cold draining away from EBS. This Atlantic ridge nonsense can bugger of I want stalling Atlantic trough upstream of east coast USA ridge to promote wave breaking(Scandi high) that correlates with usual awakening LA Nina analogs of Scandi dry/southern Europe wet regime.

ps2png-worker-commands-594449f76f-x5s9k-6fe5cac1a363ec1525f54343b6cc9fd8-vzXvFW.png

Posted

As with the 12z from yesterday the D10 ECM op is an outlier, this time for uppers (London):

graphe0_00_318_155___.thumb.png.89a5b32c8aca74b54f73dcce0430347b.png

The op manufactures a cold pool, a micro feature that is more likely to be missing on the next run, low chance ATM. The D10 means are similar:

839750876_gens-31-1-240(1).thumb.png.97ed2b9c161664ec8700b73bf37630cd.pngEDM1-240.thumb.gif.59f1bd93e40a38c1750e53254da05fb1.gif

Both suggesting belling of the high, so another possible model watch to see if we can get a mini-wave for a transient stream of colder uppers from the northern quadrants. Depends on the synchronicity of high and tPV passage. 

• Like 3

Posted

image.thumb.png.953cac01e87a9c0e6a8fb88782dd696e.png

Taken from twitter ,lots of convection in the Tropics- not sure exactly how this will effect global patterns but a consequence of mjo 7 one would assume...

• Like 2

Posted

Morning all,charts showing a dry theme with some clear skies,freezing fog and frost on the cards from midweek

GEFS continues with some very cold members.Lots to like if cold is what you like with the added benefit of

seeing some sun.

• Like 4

Posted
19 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

image.thumb.png.953cac01e87a9c0e6a8fb88782dd696e.png

Taken from twitter ,lots of convection in the Tropics- not sure exactly how this will effect global patterns but a consequence of mjo 7 one would assume...

Well, the MJO has been hovering around so called favourable 7/8 for weeks and produced nothing remotely favourable for Northerly blocking for us, so I see no reason why that would change now.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.

ECM 00z is meteorologically very interesting later on with a stagnant run of days giving rise to a bit of cold air pooling over the UK.

I’m not convinced by how slowly it moves low pressure across Greenland though. Zonal flow across the Atlantic sector looks to become low - but that low without stratospheric forcing...?

Still sensing that we could end up with a colder than average yet low snowfall month overall.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything below 0c or above 20c. Also love a good thunderstorm!

Good morning all, 

Yes as is always the case with nature nothing is guaranteed even if circumstances on paper look favourable as this winter so far has shown. 

So it looks like pressure will be building towards the UK but I dare say it'll be a gloomy one again as we'll be importing a load of muck as it builds from the SW. I don't think I have ever seen this level of agreement in the ensembles up to 10 (for London). Obviously a mobile transition to HP is easy for the models and forecasters! 

t2mLondon.webp

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, heat, storms
21 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

Well, the MJO has been hovering around so called favourable 7/8 for weeks and produced nothing remotely favourable for Northerly blocking for us, so I see no reason why that would change now.

Hasn't the MJO been hanging around in phase 7 for ages? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm sunny summers
Just now, Phil Blake said:

Yes it has and just shows what a load of nonsense that measure is for gauging the liklihood of HLB.

Over the past 20 years of Internet weather watching we have seen many winter weather forecast fads come and go and most of them were just useless tools, the MJO is just the latest.

I liked the one we had in the 1980's called the BDC, it stood for Bloody Damn Cold!

Andy

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Posted
22 minutes ago, sheikhy said:

Anyone know whether ecm is inversion cold from tuesday or mild rubbish?!!

Looking at GFS and ECM cloud predictions suggests opportunities for sunshine and overnight frost for some locations especially from Wednesday onwards. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Most(see in interests section.)
28 minutes ago, Penrith Snow said:

Yes it has and just shows what a load of nonsense that measure is for gauging the liklihood of HLB.

Over the past 20 years of Internet weather watching we have seen many winter weather forecast fads come and go and most of them were just useless tools, the MJO is just the latest.

I liked the one we had in the 1980's called the BDC, it stood for Bloody Damn Cold!

Andy

Best post i have seen so far for a while.

i remember that’s80s saying too. BDC  

Brilliant,  and thanks for bringing that back up. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers
44 minutes ago, sheikhy said:

Anyone know whether ecm is inversion cold from tuesday or mild rubbish?!!

Tomorrow looks cloud dominated on UKV high-res, but by Tuesday clearer skies gradually work south with cloud coming back in for the north. Could see some frosts this coming week if skies clear overnight and winds are light.

viewimage_pbx.thumb.png.32600f1ec26f9d9a2dd7802ac7d0a851.pngviewimage_pbx1.thumb.png.197104e1eab3cf3358cd67e6edfe56ed.pngviewimage_pbx2.thumb.png.a90438c50873f6c369277c059294a52c.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted
47 minutes ago, Phil Blake said:

It has but not at any great amplification. 

The trop PV whether coupled with the strat or not has ruled supreme.

• Like 2