Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model discussion: Hunt for cold - into mid-January

Message added by Paul,

Please stick to discussing the model output in this thread and use the winter chat thread for non-model related discussion.

The guiding principles of everyone's participation in this thread are:
Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

For less of a cold-slanted look at the models, please head over to the alternate model discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, cold, ice, frost, thundersnow,
4 hours ago, jules216 said:

Somebody enlight me please. How is it possible that seasonal models nearly all got this January wrong. All were in December singing with SC/EE high pressure,yet I am on 17th! Day of cold spell, see my weather station data. And this EPS to see of January. IT Has Been a winter of very low skill levels from weeks 2-3 on the models big time.

IMG_20220124_102542.png

IMG_20220124_094630.jpg

IMG_20220122_220627.jpg

Screenshot_2022-01-22-21-56-08-868_com.twitter.android.jpg

Are you referring to the seasonal being wrong for UK?

As of the time of writing I would say it has been pretty good so far. Most of the winter interest was always going to be in February, and for me at the beginning of the winter I set my expectations low for December and January. 

Take for example TWO's seasonal forecast: https://www.theweatheroutlook.com/forecast/uk-seasonal-weather-forecast

Their December forecast was pretty much correct including the Christmas/New Year period, most of the other longer range forecasts weren't sure and were going for a colder spell around the festive period. Even the MO kept changing their outlooks.

January so far has been mostly correct, although I think it will end up being a slightly milder than average month due to the very start of the month (would be hard to forecast a record mild New Year a month in advance), and drier than average apart from a few localised spots in NW Scotland. The descriptions match up for the most part, and looks like we are going to lose some influence of high pressure towards the end of the month. I don't think the wintry showers in E/SE came off though.

February is the interesting month. Starting off mild or rather mild with mixed weather - which looks a possibility going by the current models. Then a transition to a cold spell for a time with snow risk and severe frosts for southern and eastern parts. Less cold and wetter in the west. A mild or very mild end to the month, which most long range forecasts seem to be in agreement about for the end of February.

There is potential for there to be a cold spell in the first week of February (week commencing 7th) although uncertainty on the transition, source, and how long it will last. It could be an easterly or northerly, but it could also be with PM air that a slider low approaches and brings snow to central, southern and eastern parts in that week, being rain further west and southwest (hence the less cold and wetter at times in the west). Depending on how deep the snow is this could lead to severe frosts for a time where the deepest snow falls from this event or events. With snow depths of 15-25cm locally and clear skies overnight a severe frost isn't out of the realms of possibility even with PM air.

Even if this happens I doubt February will be a colder than average month, maybe average at coldest, and possibly above average temperatures depending on how cold it will be and how mild it will be at the end of the month.

I also doubt any significant snow will occur for most in the Spring if the milder weather end of February continued.

The only fly in the ointment for the seasonal forecasts was a leniency towards a potential SSW mid-late January, which probably won't happen. How that will affect the weather for the remainder of the winter is TBD.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
Just now, mountain shadow said:

I presume you're being sarcastic?

no it looked good at that point, like it would deliver a N'ly, however the GFS was similar and turned out crap.

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

no it looked good at that point, like it would deliver a N'ly, however the GFS was similar and turned out crap.

The bowling ball low exiting the US will flatten any ridge attempt very quickly I think.

The 168 later on will give us an idea.

• Thanks 2

Posted
30 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

UKMO 12z is a stonker!

image.thumb.png.b04d979f2a39ef2ba5f1bdfd8d0b67de.png

putting them together the UKMO looks a little better than the GFS, slightly better ridging around Labrador and the LP now quite as big. Hopefully we can drag the northerlies West a little to bring in more chances of some snow for more people!! 

image.thumb.png.26638fa1e2edb47df287ebac5b9d10e0.png

image.gif

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm
5 hours ago, That ECM said:

Where are you seeing this HP backing west? Looks like it topples east. Or are you suggesting it moves west initially to allow a north northwest flow before moving east? As per 06z?

77B27E59-D227-4776-83BE-31507535731D.png

D3029A20-5B6C-4AA9-BC5E-1DA40EE7E411.png

7CB5995B-B195-41F5-9BE0-C45C08FA831F.png

The change today has come as short as 29th/30th.  Way different to yesterday but not as good as day before.  I don’t expect longevity here but a repeat scenario.  Toppler?  That’s maybe what it is but I think we’ll see a more beefy one with a reload.  This HP just ‘sitting there’ for me isn’t the right direction.  

BFTP

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted

I can no longer Add Files in the box below from my IPHONE, any ideas? I have to copy and paste!! It stops me posting loads of charts that’ll never verify I suppose

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/Snow/Hail & Strong Winds
38 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

The bowling ball low exiting the US will flatten any ridge attempt very quickly I think.

The 168 later on will give us an idea.

Just so everybody knows, you can now view both the 156 and 168 hours charts for the UKMO on meteociel. Just click on 0.1° resolution option . 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow in winter,warm sun in summer!!!!

The GFS is a horror show , don't think you could draw worse charts 

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, Weather-history said:

Look how dry GFS 06z is out to the second week of February, south of the Border

GFSOPUK06_384_18.png

The current EWP is about 33mm for this month

I know, walking this weekend and driving in the country site on dusty roads, in the margins etc. Very un January like to say the least. 2019, 2020 were similar, very dry, 2021 was very wet. Strange things happening to the weather, others have said it but so often we have very dry and very wet months, anecdotal at this stage but might be a long wave pattern establishing, this month a good example

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!

UKMO 12z best for a while

Some very cold air bottled up to the north!

3946E0BF-19D7-4E50-A9FD-B49F19D52364.thumb.png.62adfd48b37d9d8180666c615617c7ac.png

If only the ridge could gain some traction and build north we’d be in business. No VWAA though so would likely topple at 192. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WHITE GOLD
10 minutes ago, johncam said:

The GFS is a horror show , don't think you could draw worse charts 

Im going to try and help the cause WINTERS OVER !!!!!!!!! LOL

• Like 2

Posted
13 minutes ago, CoxR said:

image.thumb.png.0c480248d6af846da859727056784555.png

Potential split mid Feb?

That chart looks good, but if there is no coupling at the moment, I'm not sure how this would impact timescales further below?

Somebody with more knowledge can hopefully chip in.

Gem is pretty cold next Monday also

gemnh-0-174 (3).png

• Like 4

Posted
3 hours ago, sukayuonsensnow said:

Are you referring to the seasonal being wrong for UK?

As of the time of writing I would say it has been pretty good so far. Most of the winter interest was always going to be in February, and for me at the beginning of the winter I set my expectations low for December and January. 

Take for example TWO's seasonal forecast: https://www.theweatheroutlook.com/forecast/uk-seasonal-weather-forecast

Their December forecast was pretty much correct including the Christmas/New Year period, most of the other longer range forecasts weren't sure and were going for a colder spell around the festive period. Even the MO kept changing their outlooks.

January so far has been mostly correct, although I think it will end up being a slightly milder than average month due to the very start of the month (would be hard to forecast a record mild New Year a month in advance), and drier than average apart from a few localised spots in NW Scotland. The descriptions match up for the most part, and looks like we are going to lose some influence of high pressure towards the end of the month. I don't think the wintry showers in E/SE came off though.

February is the interesting month. Starting off mild or rather mild with mixed weather - which looks a possibility going by the current models. Then a transition to a cold spell for a time with snow risk and severe frosts for southern and eastern parts. Less cold and wetter in the west. A mild or very mild end to the month, which most long range forecasts seem to be in agreement about for the end of February.

There is potential for there to be a cold spell in the first week of February (week commencing 7th) although uncertainty on the transition, source, and how long it will last. It could be an easterly or northerly, but it could also be with PM air that a slider low approaches and brings snow to central, southern and eastern parts in that week, being rain further west and southwest (hence the less cold and wetter at times in the west). Depending on how deep the snow is this could lead to severe frosts for a time where the deepest snow falls from this event or events. With snow depths of 15-25cm locally and clear skies overnight a severe frost isn't out of the realms of possibility even with PM air.

Even if this happens I doubt February will be a colder than average month, maybe average at coldest, and possibly above average temperatures depending on how cold it will be and how mild it will be at the end of the month.

I also doubt any significant snow will occur for most in the Spring if the milder weather end of February continued.

The only fly in the ointment for the seasonal forecasts was a leniency towards a potential SSW mid-late January, which probably won't happen. How that will affect the weather for the remainder of the winter is TBD.

I reckon as good a summary of the possibles and what has gone as any I've seen

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Battleground Snow said:

That chart looks good, but if there is no coupling at the moment, I'm not sure how this would impact timescales further below?

Somebody with more knowledge can hopefully chip in.

Gem is pretty cold next Monday also

gemnh-0-174 (3).png

To my untrained eye, the configuration of the troposphere and stratosphere doesn't look too dissimilar to that at the same stage in Feb 2018 - and two weeks or so later, the BFTE occurred. Though I'm not sure to what extent the 2018 BFTE was troposphere led i.e. from the  high amplitude phase 7 MJO, or stratosphere led?

February 2018 500hpa: 

image.thumb.png.72170c68de58473b07e4aa52a5cf32d0.png

February 2018 10hpa: 

image.thumb.png.edfdc448e97085e3102048718378bc82.png

GFS 12z 500 hpa:

image.thumb.png.5f041ba95d9fbfca0d44295952dbb237.png

GFS 12z 10 hpa:

image.thumb.png.0666f573af62b8225761a7e738cfa6ec.png

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, CoxR said:

To my untrained eye, the configuration of the troposphere and stratosphere doesn't look too dissimilar to that at the same stage in Feb 2018 - and two weeks or so later, the BFTE occurred. Though I'm not sure to what extent the 2018 BFTE was troposphere led i.e. from the  high amplitude phase 7 MJO, or stratosphere led?

February 2018 500hpa: 

image.thumb.png.72170c68de58473b07e4aa52a5cf32d0.png

February 2018 10hpa: 

image.thumb.png.edfdc448e97085e3102048718378bc82.png

GFS 12z 500 hpa:

image.thumb.png.5f041ba95d9fbfca0d44295952dbb237.png

GFS 12z 10 hpa:

image.thumb.png.0666f573af62b8225761a7e738cfa6ec.png

Nice comparison, and shows how the Canadian pv can still be overcome fairly quickly, we did have massive MJO event back then though, atm it's in cod, but could change in 15 days

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal and interesting weather including summer storms and winter snow

I think that this gfs 12z is the worst run i have seen from a cold perspective. Truly bad, although good if you want to avoid the cold.

Yet again, downgrades

1231636178_h500slp(14).thumb.png.f4fed13ccd445b5e03bf5159f185a265.png

842539025_h500slp(15).thumb.png.b3e515087a0d769c39cb4fedfb4d932f.png

A substantial amount of hp controlling the game. Not an expert at the bigger picture but how is it that the jetstream is just always looping to the north in this part of the world ?....vortex driven i suppose..

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
12 minutes ago, minus10 said:

I think that this gfs 12z is the worst run i have seen from a cold perspective. Truly bad, although good if you want to avoid the cold.

Yet again, downgrades

A substantial amount of hp controlling the game. Not an expert at the bigger picture but how is it that the jetstream is just always looping to the north in this part of the world ?....vortex driven i suppose..

Turkey and Greece pinching the cold and snow once again....on a serious note though SE Europe are shaping up for a very cold winter 

• Like 2

Posted
7 minutes ago, minus10 said:

Yet again, downgrades

GFS has churned out high pressure domination for weeks now.. never known it to do so for as long as it has been. Typically it defaults to Atlantic zonal.. yet this winter it has been the least progressive of the main models. Mind that's the pattern we've had a completely dead Atlantic despite a strong PV. It's an odd winter.

• Like 1

Posted

Snow row for London showing 17/30 early next week, decent signal for at least a flurry 

2A4706E2-BD80-4DD1-A2E9-BCA72B683DA2.png

Posted
4 minutes ago, Lukesluckybunch said:

Well it appears after the poor gfs and it's ens also which were total dire!now we have the ECM which appears to be following in the same way!there appears to be no end in sight to this rubbish weather!

Amazing how fast time runs out for winter!