Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model discussion: Hunt for cold - into February

Message added by Paul,

Please stick to discussing the model output in this thread and use the Spring chat thread for non-model related discussion.

The guiding principles of everyone's participation in this thread are:
Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted
48 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

No posts today tells you all you need to know...

Looking quite stormy into next week, with an exceptionally strong Jetstream coming across the Atlantic and firing straight through the UK.

As you say.

We're paying for the settled spell last month with a reinvigorated jet blasting across the Atlantic. We may well not see change until into next month, official Spring. If so it will be the only winter in my lifetime without seeing a single snowflake.

990023140_Screenshot2022-02-08at09_03_11.thumb.png.11eb3bb9c7f3a3deac71734fa7294cbb.png

676971194_Screenshot2022-02-08at09_04_39.thumb.png.712153390fa9d0a1ffe8d0dbadb85d2c.png

Edited by Mark Smithy
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All

Big differences between the 0z ECM and GFS operational runs at day 8 for the UK and Ireland. 

With the ECM, the PV is focused on an extension from northern Canada through Greenland to the northwest Atlantic The strong ECM jet stream runs west to east across the ocean, firing straight at us, no more of that talk of the Atlantic being dead. Mild and very wet.

3353AFC4-83FF-484E-9CC7-6CE38CD7E2CF.thumb.png.82fd0f10fa2c6e04a9f5557c71c13a58.png 316F7955-C846-4680-8F95-BC59F43E6433.thumb.png.6cfbf74a67cd16f2cb98d21d090316a6.png 4150E33F-E461-40B2-8D61-5241F1FFA347.thumb.png.608f066137be1adcc2ab62e99f6452c1.png 3FBBC370-4E5A-45B2-A056-2EBCB9420E26.thumb.png.b8fef838bc0f8d93c2ffdf1bc095d7ea.png

While with the GFS, the PV has a distinct lobe over northern Scandinavia with the Greenland lobe being stretched all the way to Scotland. The jet stream is not quite so strong and diving southeast into Europe, with us on the cold side, at the edge of 1500 mile wide snowstorm  (look out Daily Star!), stretching SE from Greenland. 
EEF32556-5557-44BF-A9B1-56A5021823A0.thumb.png.b76e0aa6c36541d82362fbdbcf901d64.png 60CCD109-909F-4365-8FB2-55E866282336.thumb.png.c26b60c9b43783610418ce76b825ea65.png EB26D641-7F83-435A-B144-368D1F9F2143.thumb.png.d19e9cf7d3c272197f9ed61d1892c464.png A4CD4720-537D-442F-90C9-D64C53E902FD.thumb.png.80a473b70391e8479ed733d4a475d061.png

It looks like very unsettled weather we’re going to be getting either way, but the two top models having very different day 8 solutions, the notable difference between mild wet weather or the chance at times of watching a fair bit of snow blowing about, and at this stage, each as plausible as each other.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms frost snow heatwaves

While I agree that the overnight runs are still suggesting a far more mobile setup than of late it would appear to my untrained eye that those Iberian heights look like yet again diverting the worst of any wind and rain away to the far northwest during next week. Yes, it will become far more changeable from next weekend but the 0z Ecm run doesn’t seem to force the jet stream as far south with these Atlantic lows compared to previous runs. Something tells me that coming closer to the time we may not be seeing such a significant waning of these heights to the south after all which as everyone knows have played such a prominent role throughout January. 
PS Positively springlike here in Co Cork today.

Edited by Newberryone
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Just no EC ... Scotland would not want that next Wednesday! What's that - 120-130mph winds?

gustkph_20220208_00_204.thumb.jpg.9bba7863757e87250b83e8255ddbef32.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
25 minutes ago, Anthony Burden said:

Hi Nick would cause major damage to parts of Scotland if that materialist let’s hope not.

Indeed. My sister lives in rural Angus and has had over two weeks already with no power in total.

Her fella is a tree surgeon though so he's working from dawn until dusk, seven days a week.

Looks very very Stormy next week, which suits me fine. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.
2 hours ago, mountain shadow said:

Indeed. My sister lives in rural Angus and has had over two weeks already with no power in total.

Her fella is a tree surgeon though so he's working from dawn until dusk, seven days a week.

Looks very very Stormy next week, which suits me fine. 

Looks like Angus would hopefully be spared the worst, but the Western Isles, parts of Argyll and even into the Glasgow area would receive some very high winds - even looking across the Central belt it would be very windy indeed. Surely Red warning stuff given the population.

Obviously more runs needed to confirm, and we may well find it downgraded, but I'd suggest we are in for a stormy time here next week?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal and interesting weather including summer storms and winter snow

Apart from north of Scotland gfs6z not nearly as lively. Seems that the model is having trouble deciding how far north or south the jetstream is going to be..

870367744_h500slp(23).thumb.png.bc6cee9575a65bfa5ff0bf9f037188ac.png

6413888_h500slp(1).thumb.webp.aafc00dc9dff24df500025967c4c59da.webp

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: windy

That'll be watered down to a breezy day, stormy spells showing beyond 5 days very rarely materialise.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

There’s a few flickers of life for coldies in the Gfs output today, albeit occasional and short-lived due to cold zonality but there’s plenty of mild zonality and my reading of today’s update signals the death knell of winter 2021 / 22…sadly lamented by a large group of friends and aquantances, may it rest in peace and the ashes taken to Australia!  

9A4ABDA9-FF59-4044-9941-421970836329.thumb.webp.994e24286b6e55294927036e2a159fe9.webp

• Like 9

Posted

Evening all,charts showing a very stormy time for next week everything but the kitchen sink on the menu cold and mild shots with perhaps the white stuff thrown in as well.Meanwhile this week Thursday and Friday look cold with frost and snow showers possible.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Surprises
7 hours ago, jon snow said:

There’s a few flickers of life for coldies in the Gfs output today, albeit occasional and short-lived due to cold zonality but there’s plenty of mild zonality and my reading of today’s update signals the death knell of winter 2021 / 22…sadly lamented by a large group of friends and aquantances, may it rest in peace and the ashes taken to Australia!  

9A4ABDA9-FF59-4044-9941-421970836329.thumb.webp.994e24286b6e55294927036e2a159fe9.webp

I'm guessing the ashes will only get wet (damp) if they came back

Probably in time for snow come May/June, but then again it's anyone's guess going by the lack of observational model interpretation by even the best super human and computers these last few months 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

According to the ECM 0z operational, it doesn’t look very mild, so there’s a positive for coldies!   

Edited by jon snow
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

Charts as expected, as we countdown the remnants of winter, little change with this pseudo-blocked NH pattern. A variation on the theme from Jan when the UK was under higher pressure, due to the tPV getting stronger in Feb. So the UK in a classic westerly zonal flow and D8-16 mean highlights where we are:

animatb5.gif

The tPV core to our NW and LP circulating to our north, aided by the Alaskan and Siberian highs.

Interest now lies in what will March bring us, as the tPV relaxes? More of the same, early Spring, or cool and wet?

• Like 2

Posted

Just 4 posts since the one I last posted 17 hours ago.. never known it so quiet in here in early-mid Feb. Says it all, more of the same forecast by the models. A classic mobile zonal westerly flow.. I noted we've not had much of this for well over 12 months and it is this pattern that tends to result in lack of posts all year round. It's the set up that once locks in is difficult to shift and also the one where the models are much more confident about lasting..  hence little variation on the same theme.

• Like 3

Posted
On 08/02/2022 at 09:48, Nick F said:

Just no EC ... Scotland would not want that next Wednesday! What's that - 120-130mph winds?

gustkph_20220208_00_204.thumb.jpg.9bba7863757e87250b83e8255ddbef32.jpg

Ok, model peeps. Not an image I ever thought I would see and I really wish I hadn't. Can some of you knowledgeable folks explain to me where this model may be going wrong and what conditions will moderate this into something less extreme? I'm going on the assumption that this scenario will NOT happen and I'm interested to know what parameters may be leading the EC astray here.

Posted
2 hours ago, Fiona Robertson said:

Ok, model peeps. Not an image I ever thought I would see and I really wish I hadn't. Can some of you knowledgeable folks explain to me where this model may be going wrong and what conditions will moderate this into something less extreme? I'm going on the assumption that this scenario will NOT happen and I'm interested to know what parameters may be leading the EC astray here.

I don't pretend to be an expert on this but  your assumption regarding it verifying is correct but it is probably wrong to say the ecm has gone completely astray, Both the ecm and gfs have been indicating some rapid cyclogenesis around this time frame, generally close to the left exit of a very strong jet around of 190kts and thus the development of deep depressions. But at this range the handling of the rapid deepening and direction is for obvious reasons not precise so a watching brief is always advisable. Twelve hours later the deep low was further north and in fact this is currently the favoured option

ecmwf-deterministic-natl_wide-z300_speed-4969600.thumb.png.9215ea57db5c532d66f3c32261f56c6c.png

Edited by knocker
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted

I'm looking forward to comparing the "mean" and "median" on the ECM in the coming months right out to D15.

Interesting to compare what it shows today for the end of Feb:

Mean D15 chart

gens-51-1-360.png

Median D15 chart

gens-56-1-360.png

Good agreement for the north. To the south, we can see that the median is very slightly more influenced by the Azores High, suggesting the majority of runs have higher pressure here than the mean showed. 

Definitely in line with the ECM control run at D15. Winter hell, spring heaven!

gens-0-1-360.png  gens-0-0-360.png

Posted
2 hours ago, damianslaw said:

Just 4 posts since the one I last posted 17 hours ago.. never known it so quiet in here in early-mid Feb. Says it all, more of the same forecast by the models. A classic mobile zonal westerly flow.. I noted we've not had much of this for well over 12 months and it is this pattern that tends to result in lack of posts all year round. It's the set up that once locks in is difficult to shift and also the one where the models are much more confident about lasting..  hence little variation on the same theme.

It couldn't get More Boring if It tried. Whenever bog Standard is shown, you just know it's gonna verify. Its absolutely pathetic..... The PV over the  US along with the jet stream and that constant massive high pressure to our South and west is responsible and clearly shown on GFS runs. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

UKMO at 96....

that's the 1

UN96-21.thumb.gif.bece47ba9948eb8f8b51886d96ab1e49.gif

• Like 4

Posted
1 hour ago, Man With Beard said:

I'm looking forward to comparing the "mean" and "median" on the ECM in the coming months right out to D15.

Interesting to compare what it shows today for the end of Feb:

Mean D15 chart

gens-51-1-360.png

Median D15 chart

gens-56-1-360.png

Good agreement for the north. To the south, we can see that the median is very slightly more influenced by the Azores High, suggesting the majority of runs have higher pressure here than the mean showed. 

Definitely in line with the ECM control run at D15. Winter hell, spring heaven!

gens-0-1-360.png  gens-0-0-360.png

How exactly is median calculated.  I know it's the middle observation when observations are ordered from lowest to highest but how would this work with ensembles?  What defines lowest and highest value?